Old Wheeler Gate pictures wanted

Go to Google Type in Wheeler Gate Nottingham Old Photos

Go to Images There are many old photos there which will be of interest to you

Great prompt Graham... as it led me to this photo

NTGM001799.jpg

... in fact in this post from Stu: http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4779&p=123728

Which gets close to why I found this Forum.

Over Easter, visiting my father in West Bridgford, he said he remembered going into a restaurant just after my parents had heard I was expected (we're talking 1960, therefore!). He couldn't remember the name but did recall it was under an arch behind the Canadian Fur Company.

That photo shows the spot - and there is signage over the arch between the CFC and the Horse & Groom which I can't quite make out.

Does anyone recall the café/restaurant down there? Could the sign say "Café Royal" ???

Or even better does anyone have any other shots of this corner?

Oh wow Cliff Ton that's fantastic !! bowdown

Thanks so much for that effort - yes, it does say Courtyard Restaurant!

Might you post the photo in its entirety too, so I can send on both to my dad?

It's a good family memory as when the parents went in there and mentioned to the staff that the imminent arrival of their firstborn had just been confirmed, the staff all went bonkers with congratulations etc. So I got a great reception in that place, 7 or 8 months or whatever before I was born!!

NickA, that photo - along with many you'll see on this site - came from Picture The Past. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php

If you put "Wheeler Gate" in their Search box, you'll get around 90 results, including the one above. And if you're really bothered, you can get prints from them.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
.There was a Horse and Groom on Wheeler Gate in 1859 .

...inquest at the Horse and Groom, Wheeler-gate,  of William Lovett, aged 82. Deceased lived in Houndsgate, and had for some time been suffering from. .....
30 September 1859 - Nottingham Journal - 
  • Like 3

Thanks DavidW & Cliff Ton..I think H&G is just to the right of the picture. Fascinating..that opening has been there for some time! I think the pub was built somewhere between 1841 & 1850. Seems to be a couple of additions on that corner about then. The place I'm looking for is Rolstons (possibly Rowlstons) Yard, Wheeler Gate and I came to the conclusion ..probably wrong that it might be there.

• 1 year later...

Trying to put what was, a little

book for family at Christmas, I am normally very organised with files and folders, think I took too many.back up's! 

I never found.this.

Looking for Rolstons Yard, possibly Rowlstons Yard, Wheeler Gate, it's there in 1841, appears to be gone by '51, thought it might be 

Left side from M&S, tracing the route of the chap doing the census, if he stopped off for a pint however, I don't blame him! 

Can't be sure, but , the road was 

covered by two different churches, all my ancestors were baptised & buried at St.Peter"s.

I"ve just about given up on this one.