Old Wheeler Gate pictures wanted

I'm looking for any old photos of the Wheeler Gate shops (WW1 era) ...specifically the shops on the left going down the hill towards the church. I've checked out PTPast and they are either distant or from a different direction.Anything appreciated.

Pretty good Cliff Ton...Best yet. I didn't spot that one.

The shop I'm looking for is number 21...that's it on the left with the striped blind. In the early years of the last century it was a Watmoughs sweet shop...and strangely, directly opposite was yet another branch. I think both before they took the more well known shop under the Theatre Royal.

100 years on....and number 21 is now.......A sweet shop.

I shall enjoy now searching to find what the words were on that blind next door. :biggrin:

Its probably J.T.Gant outfitters. Supplied shirts and collars, pyjamas, hosiery, etc.

In 1913 they were listed at 21 Wheeler Gate and in 1932 listed as 21-23 Wheeler Gate.

Can't see a lot of mentions of Watmoughs at Wheeler Gate apart from 1906 when they were listed at number 23.

A&P Lake were butchers . In 1913 they were describing 20 Wheeler Gate as their "new premises" . Their adverts go right up to 1949.

Also advertising in 1949 as being above Lakes butchers , with an entrance in the side in Eldon Chambers was Kenneth Kemsleys , gowns and coats , whose name is fairly well known .

I remember that Citizens Advice, I think it remained there until well into the eighties, when they opened the bigger one on Low Pavement.

Just a few shops up from Eldon Chambers was a small department store in the sixties, the site later became the Virgin Megastore. Had a nice little caff in the basement. Can anyone remember what it was called?

Was it not a Boots at one time(late 60s to late 70s ?

No, it's not Boots I'm thinking of.

I think it was in the same place where Boots Day & Night was in the fifties. There was then a Boots towards the corner in the eighties, where Lakeland is now.

Can only go up to 1950 and not entirely sure how the street numbering went but at number 19 Wheeler Gate in the fifties was a fashion store called Bradburys . Am assuming number 19 is to the right of the gap for Eldon Chambers.

Number 19 (assuming it wasn't renumbered) had a varied life , in the early 1900s it was Humber bicycles. About 1910 it was Pains fireworks. Then it became The Only Spot Cash Tailor. 1920s it was Tom Littlefair fashions and in the 40s became Bradburys.

Just a few shops up from Eldon Chambers was a small department store in the sixties, the site later became the Virgin Megastore. Had a nice little caff in the basement. Can anyone remember what it was called?

Oriental Cafe? It was close to the corner of Friar Lane, which you can just see here.

oriental.jpg

• Like 1

No Cliff, I've been able to establish it was on the site of Boots Day & Night. It was there from about 1964 until W H Smith moved into the unit in the seventies. There was a cafe in the basement, housewares and stuff on the ground floor and clothing and a small toy department on the first floor.

Found the name of the store I was trying to think of. As my dad used to say when I was a kid ' if yer want owt, ask yer mam '. Fortunately at 92 years she's still got her marbles. Henrys.

There's an advert for Henrys posted , getting on for 2 years ago, in an old topic on shops no longer trading.

Scroll down this page

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9243&page=2&hl=henrys#entry159945

Thanks DAVIDW. I remembered Henrys more for the cafe, as I said. We used to nip up there sometimes at lunchtimes when I was at school. Great burger and crinkly chips and always ice-cold Coca Cola.

• 1 month later...