Dodgy Water & Public Wells

As a point of interest, maybe.

In 1938 about 32% of the city's total water consumption is derived from the Derwent supply and the other 68% from the Corporation's own sandstone wells. The bulk of the water is supplied from five pumping stations situated at Basford, Bestwood, Papplewick, Burton Joyce and Boughton.

The total quantity of water distributed during the year ended March 1936 was 4,878,671,290 gallons, equal to nearly 22 million tons, an average of over 13.25 million gallons per day. Of this quantity about 17 gallons per head per day were used for domestic purposes and about 12.25 gallons per head per day for trade and special purposes. The estimated population supplied at the end of March 1936 was 456,926

The total length of cast iron supply mains within the area is about 759 miles and the maximum pressure in the mains is about 80 pounds per square inch. Water is supplied by the Corporation practically at cost price.

Now who didn't find that interesting?

• Upvote 2

I have visited the sewerage works at Stoke Bardolph and have driven past Papplewick pumping station many times over the years and but never visited the place. Is it expensive to get in and is there a café there?

Robbie #2

The building opposite the lights as you come to the end of porchester road at the rear of the building is that some sort of resevoir?

I always had a feeling it was something to do with the water board.

Karlton,

I know exactly where you are talking about but unfortunately there is no mention of a pumping station there in my book of 1938. But that's no to say there wasn't.

There was a reservoir at Mapperley Hill, Nottingham.

being a roofer in my younger days we worked on a reservoir in Peterborough we felted and waterproofed the concrete lid which was a thousand square yards, part of the construction came above ground inside it was so deep and massive I remember seeing the costruction workers deep down there with would you believe a dumper truck I could imagine it being down there before the lid went on but how they got it out I could imagine it would have had to have been taken to pieces.