I have a map of Nottingham from the 1960’s. It’s a “Geographia Large Scale Detailed Street Map” and is 4 1/2ins to a mile. It cost me 5/- when I bought it. It’s seen better days and is kept together with sellotape.

• Upvote 1

As a regular visitor to car boots and Jumble Sales, I often snap up tatty old maps of Nottingham. I also own some 1950s and 60s Nottingham Hand Books which not only contain interesting maps but also a very interesting insight to what industry was still around in those days, such as Raleigh, loads of textiles firms and lace makers, as well as smaller industries like Jardine's engineering and Wrigley's wagon works.

• Upvote 1

Sometime in the 1960s the Evening Post reported that Bell's the stationers (top of Hockley; remember them) had found some old maps in a storeroom, and was selling them off at one shilling each. I bought one, still have it and is attached to this message. The maps were not folded.

There is no date on the map but seeing that the Victoria station is marked with its original name of Great Central and Great Northern Joint Station, it must be no later than May 1900 when the station was named Victoria.

The map is mainly within the city boundary, but it does also include West Bridgford.

DSCN1067_zpshp602eck.jpg

• Upvote 2

As mentioned in the posting of the Bell's map of Nottingham; here is a close-up of the central area showing the Victoria Station still being referred to by its old name. This is the only map of Nottingham I have seen with the old station name on it. Bearing in mind that it had the original name for a very short period, is this map unique, or were there others?

Vic%20station%20map_zpsdjfty2kt.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good point, Bubblewrap. Memory tells me that at the time the maps went on sale, they were said to be 1920s. The maps do not give a date but maybe the Evening Post mentioned it.

Steven. The stations are shown as Midland Railway Station - G N Railway (Low Level) and L & N W R Station. Above them is London Road (High Level) Station.

• 2 weeks later...