Nuclear Bunker for sale

It's a Royal Ordnance Corps Nuclear fallout monitoring post, built in June 1961 and closed down in September 1991. Looking at the photos it's in an incredibly good state of preservation. There were others around Nottingham at Cotgrave, Hucknall and Clifton which are either filled in or in the case of the Cotgrave example, burnt out. I recall the Clifton example being built amidst great secrecy back in the 60's, it was built into the bank on the left hand side of what was then the road to Barton and Thrumpton, just outside Clifton. There were hundreds of these bunkers built around the country to the same design, a good site to look on is Subterranea Britannica which maps out and details every single one.

Incidentally, one of these ROC posts down here near Great Dunmow was sold 10 years ago for £22K. The new owner decided to park his collection of tanks on top of it. This didn't go down well with the local planners as it was in the middle of the countryside, they soon dissapeared. I hear it's now used to store nuclear material, unlikely, as it's right next to a main road in the middle of nowhere and unsecured, it wouldn't take much for terrorists to break in and help themselves.

Ooohhh Scriv. That was a bit naughty. Anyway all that railwayana would probably be in landfill if myself and Firbeck hadn't rescued it. Just like all the stores that were chucked down a well when they closed Colwick Loco shed.

Ooohhh Scriv. That was a bit naughty. Anyway all that railwayana would probably be in landfill if myself and Firbeck hadn't rescued it. Just like all the stores that were chucked down a well when they closed Colwick Loco shed.

What's that story matey, chucked down a well! Where and when, must have been deep to get those heavy loco parts down there.

Han dlamps, buckets, spanners, shovels, prickers, overalls, grease caps, small bits and bobs. I would say that the supply had been run down, but it was something all the ex-cowlick train crew agreed on. Interesting job for Time Team when they excavate the retail park in a hundred years time.