Dogs and other family pets

Wll said Mary. In this last week we've had a lovely experience with a Rottweiler and a Pitbull. Both were like babies.

• Like 1
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

IMG-1953-Original.jpgCherie the PT always rested her head on my knee at the table until her name was called and she went away.

IMG-1969-Original.jpgI

Ivan was a big one for cuddles.

Hi nonna if every you don't want Ivan let me know I have just fell in love again.

I think it should be compulsory for any one who gets a dog to do basic training, you get a lot of enjoyment from it and the dog enjoys it, plus it tires the dog out, not just physical but also its useing its own natual parts. eg tracking nose being used, given it commands its using its brain. Long ago I went to a dog training session and there was a little chihuahau must say she put all the other dogs for want of a better word (in the dog house) so it just goes to show all dogs can be trained.

Looking on the other side, walking out with Rotti pip one thing that i can recall. Rotti yes!!! big dog but when she came to a puddle she would sit down and cry, never would she put her paw into the puddle. So one day I put on my wellies and went down to the stream, Bulwell Hall. I probley looked a right P!!!!!!!!! jumping up an down, waving my arms in the air, but it worked, never did she walk around a puddle again.

Next dog Sammie a working cocker after taking  her for a walk on the field near me, she started waking sidesways, and backwards, her eyes were rolling in her head. (Sammie was only about 8/9 months old) I did not know what to do.  Next door friend then said Oh by the way be carefull if you take your dog on the field as its full of magic mushrooms. Sammie recoverd and  has been working and had 2 litters of puppies.

Sorry the rottweiler isnt mine although think we could have made a sacrifice, but we have enough with our 3 dogs and my daughters dog we look after when she at work.

• 1 month later...

Jj is now getting quite big So we are able to take him on longer walks exploring new paths we find. On Sunday we went through Strelley village past the pub and Strelley Hall but as the wood seemed busy we carried straight on past the Mulberry, a way we haven’t been for a while. Jj was on his flexi lead which means he can sniff to his hearts content but we still have him under control. Everything was fine when his tail suddenly dropped and he didn’t want to go any further, after much coaxing we did manage to get him going again, although reluctantly, and after a bit he was back to normal. We found a field that was just grass and he chased his ball about for a while and then we turned back to go for a late lunch. 
On the way back the same thing happened at exactly the same place. We then realised it was beside the property that has the lions, puma etc. in the back garden so presumably he could smell them and it registered as a threat? 
He is doing very well with his training, with the help of treats and cocktail sausages (his favourite). The only problem at the moment is that he gets really excited when he sees another dog and jumps about a lot. We are trying to get him to calm down with the aid of making him sit and giving him chicken. This is sometimes successful but is dependent on the other dog owner not letting their dog approach him. Saying “he is friendly” and letting their dog approach isn’t much help when we have a jumping jack on the end of our lead! 

• Like 1

Ignore the ones that tell you that their dog is friendly. It doesnt help when youre trying to train.

Our 4 terrors are outside most of the time and go berserck when next doors dog starts to bark at them. The owner just calls him from the balcony and it leaves us trying to collect 4 small dogs and put them in disgrace in the house. This doesnt happen all the time but only when the alsation comes up to the fence/wall. The smaller chihuahua becomes a lion, its funny but not so funny. Shes all of 2 kg. Shes not frightened of anything. She s the bigger chihuahua s shadow, follows her everywhere and when she comes in shes first through the door and hides until her " sister" comes in then she raises up on her hind legs and plunges on her. Lily the big sister just lets her and they get on with fighting play.