Dogs and other family pets

What a lovely post Jill, that would have made my day too. You see there is purpose and joy in having a garden!

Mrs B

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Ben and Big Maude the wood pigeons were first in the food queue this morning. They don't even bother to fly away when they see me approaching with the plate! I'm not sure they can fly any more, they're both so fat. All the time they spend chasing each other around, they shouldn't be!

0221D236-CB31-459C-8FBC-723F5E48926B

Me first Dog.......Rex in 1950......also first bike a Green 3 wheeler...

Plus me Dad enjoying a Woodbine............

• Like 2

Don't think you can call these pets but this is what I found coming home from shopping. My daughter and I had just ordered a load of wool:shout:

IMG-2499-Original.jpg

• Like 2

And this, took a video of them, they never seemed to pass. I had to wait in my car so I could get up the drive. 

Poor things they don't know its nearly easter.

IMG-2497-Original.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A visitor to my garden today. Mrs sparrowhawk! She spends a lot of time in my trees and the fruits of her labours are often apparent at the foot of the large alder! Today, she was on the ground, sorting her wings out. I thought at first she may be injured as her wings were splayed but due to being blown about by the high winds, she was just preening her feathers before taking off again. Superb birds but not if you're the prey!

It must be bird of prey time. We just had a peregrine falcon of all things sitting on our fence. 
Mrs B

Mrs Sparrowhawk is a regular all year round and is the scourge of the allotments. I saw her take one of my blackbirds a few weeks ago. Very upsetting but she has to eat.

I'd also like to draw attention this morning to the disturbing item in the news about the decline in rural hedgehog populations, although news is better in urban areas. Please look out for these highly amusing and cheeky little creatures in your gardens. We've ruined their habitats and they need our help.

7 hours ago, MRS B said:

It must be bird of prey time. We just had a peregrine falcon of all things sitting on our fence. 
Mrs B

Do you follow the NTU Falcon webcam, the pair have been checking out the nest box for weeks now.  

It pains me to report that Ben, the overweight woodpigeon, appears to be doing the, er, dirty on Big Maude.  Saw him out there at the breakfast table this morning with another bird in tow. Big Maude was there too and looked considerably crestfallen over his behaviour towards the newly arrived Floozy which was, to say the least, blatant.

Needless to say, I had a few words with Ben the woodpigeon and told him exactly what I thought of his lapse in morals.  Poor Maude. She thought they were a pair for life. I gave her some extra food to cheer her up.

• Like 3

Jill you do make me titter. I heard a wren singing its heart out this morning. For something so small they sing so loud. I can’t feed the birds, my cats are excellent stalkers. I’ve already had one mouse (just the head) left on my kitchen rug this week! 

In August, 2020, I had what was probably a once in a lifetime experience. Standing in my garden as dusk approached, I noticed a large cloud of midges just in front of me. There suddenly appeared Mr and Mrs Wren with their babies. 

I took a step forward, Into the midges, standing quite still as parents and babies alike flew around my head in a bid to catch as much food as possible. The noise was terrific!

The babies were no bigger than bumble bees. So intent were they on catching their supper, they seemed not to notice my presence. A truly magical five minutes.

• Like 5

What a magical experience Jill. If I stepped into a cloud of midges I would just be bitten to death. They love me. Maybe I should carry a wren around with me instead of taking antihistamines.

• 2 weeks later...
Things don't seem to be going too well with Ben, the overweight woodpidgeon. I've noticed over the last few days that he's on his own at the feeding station in my garden.

Big Maude and Floozie are conspicuous by their absence.  Well, I did warn him about behaving like a absolute cad and it may be that the girls have decided they're happier without him.

I did see him with a twig in his beak yesterday. An olive branch, perhaps? Wonder who the intended recipient was?

Felt sorry for him, so we had a little chat and I gave him some extra food. He's a lovely little soul, really?

Just a thought Jill, maybe Maude and the Floozie have realized that they could be an item.

You never can tell. hearteyes

• Like 1

I'm pleased to report that I've seen Tiny Pudding the hedgehog twice this week. He's one of last summer's babies. I named him Tiny when I first saw him last autumn and because he ate so much and grew so rapidly, I renamed him Tiny Pudding!  He's back, looking very healthy and eating for England! Spring is here.