Dogs and other family pets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

I was thrilled last night to see that Tiny Pudding had been joined by the larger, much beefier, Horace! The pair of them were scooting about, scoffing everything I'd put out for them. I dished up seconds! I have missed my hedgehogs over the winter. It's wonderful to have them back.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided to write this on the 'pets' thread because if Jill can have hedgehogs,  I can have my woodpigeon.

She has been living in our garden for 11 days now.  She has an injured wing and can't fly.  She just walks round the garden very quickly, usually through the shrubs and trees round the edge, but occasionally walking across the lawn.  We have 2 cats and our son's little dog 3 times a week but 'Woody' is still here!  The cats have seen her but they don't chase her for some reason -maybe they've decided she is just another member of the family and not a wild bird? The dog barked at her at first but when Woody didn't fly away, she seemed to lose interest.  I am feeding her every day (not by hand yet but she doesn't rush off)

Btw I know she's a female because a couple of males were giving her a lot of attention today if you know what I mean.... they're obviously not bothered that she's disabled.

Maybe one day our cats will forget their manners and grab her but I hope not.  

• Like 2

I know Seagulls are not to everyones taste but i love feeding them for breakfast each morning......i throw my crusts on the shed down the garden.......and love to see them 'Swoop' and collect them in their beaks after circling and shouting first.....

However this last week they had completely disappeared.....until yesterday when the really 'Big one' returned....he's three times as big as all the others and he actually lands on my shed......think he's the leader he's dead 'Leary' and really 'Strutts'' his stuff......actually lands whilst i'm still putting the food out.........and looks at me as if to say..''Dab-in then'''......must be from Bulwell....love him..

Must give him a name...any suggestions?

• Like 3

I notice that Floozy, the female wood pigeon, who seemed intent on turning Ben and Big Maude's relationship into a menage a trois, has slung her hook! Must have been the talking to I gave Ben about fidelity and family values! He knows it makes sense.

Ben, Is your seagull the same kind of gull as the others seeing as he’s so big?  
Names ….. Leery?  Gully?  

Hard to say Margie......the others seem to have more black on their wings......and seem a bit weary' of him.......

Leery'' sounds good....lol

• Cliff Ton changed the title to pets
  • 1 month later...
On 2/10/2012 at 10:21 AM, dgbrit said:

The Shih Tzu's are named after Keeping up appearances

Sheridan & Ozzie for Onslow ,& we also have Rose she is black & white

Haha a dog named sheridan !!!

Once saw two big seagulls having a scrap in the town centre of Ilfracombe Devon, just off the seafront hard as nails the pair off em !

• 1 month later...

Jill Sparrow, we have a hedgehog! Just a juvenile I think. It’s been out and about in our garden for the last 2 nights as dusk sets in. We have put some water out in a low dish which it has drank. Our little garden is quite densely planted so there will be lots of slugs for it and cover. Also the compost bins. As you know we have cats too like you and they are a bit miffed by it. It does curl up so hopefully will be ok.

anything else we can do for it? We have called it Henry, although of course it could be Henrietta. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brilliant news! It will be one of this summer's babies. They like cat or dog food and crushed cat biscuits. Mealworms are also relished. As this has been such a good summer, with an abundant food supply, the hogs will be having second litters. They will be autumn juveniles and survival for them is much more difficult as they have to make the weight to get them through the winter. Keep your eyes peeled for these cute little creatures around October/November and help them out as much as possible.

Cats are usually curious for a while but soon learn that a prickled nose is unpleasant and opt to keep their distance.

Thanks Jill. Happy hog viewing!

Thanks Jill, will look out for him/her again tonight, very exciting.

All 4 dogs this morning flat out on the tiled floor , bellies as close as they can get to cool down . Think I might join them. It did rain during the night but you wouldn’t think it. It’s hotter than ever.

Back to normal in the Loppy kennel.  Daughter SIL and two dogs have have now moved on after a month.  One of their dogs was an Australian cattle dog crossed with a Rottweiler.  Big as a hoss.  Old Bailey kept him in line though.  He can be fiesty when he wants. The big dog is only 18 months old so soon learned to shurrup.  Jake as the elderly statesman was more diplomatic but has a nasty growl when necessary.  Other dog was an elderly golden retriever, a real sweetheart who just wanted to avoid being pushed around by the big pup and go dig in my garden which I objected to.  Peaceful again now.  slywink

• Like 3