Dogs and other family pets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

We've just changed from Frontline to Stronghold as Frontline was not working. The vet said that lots of people were complaining about this, so she's now recommending Stronghold. I use a flea spray round the furniture as well

Been o-k with Frontline so far. We also have a problem with Ticks here in Ga. Those so and so's lurk in long grass and other vegetation and then latch on when a dog or person goes by. Biggest time for them is in the spring. They do carry Lyme disease and other ailments so you really have to watch out for them. I hate bugs!

When MargieM started this thread I was going to reply to her post but deleted it because it sounded too soppy. However, after reading all the posts on this thread, I realise that animal lovers are all the same when it comes to their pets. I've had six dogs, two cats and various other pets. At the moment I have a dog called Frodo, a double yellow headed Amazon parrot and a 42 year old red eared terrapin. I've always had two dogs at a time and when I've lost one the older dog would look after the new puppy. However, when I lost my last dog I decided that I wouldn't replace him. My wife still gets upset when we talk about his life because she still misses him. It is upsetting when you lose a pet because they have become part of your family. They will always give you their love and will always comfort you when it's needed. The post I deleted contained a mention of my dog called Pluto. I'ved loved all my pets but you'll understand what I mean when I say that he was just a little special. He'd grown old and I knew that he wouldn't be with me for much longer. I was always working around Europe and Scandinavia and before I left home I'd sit and talk to him, thanking him for all the love and good times we'd had together, knowing he may not be there when I returned home. One time I returned home and I couldn't see him anywhere. I looked around the house and outside but he wasn't there. My wife was in the garden but Pluto wasn't with her. I went to the bathroom and cried my eyes out thinking he'd died. When I returned to the lounge he was laying there, wagging his tail. He must have been sleeping behind the furniture when I got home. I nearly killed him with my cuddles and kisses. As time went on he started to struggle with his movement and struggled to walk very far. My wife and I took him to our vet and he told us, without actually saying it, what we already knew. It was cruel to let him suffer so we agreed to have him put down. As he lay there the vet did what he had to do. I stroked Pluto and spoke to him as he lay there wagging his tail as he passed away. We have all been through this and it's really horrible but it's something we have to do.

On a happier note, below is a photo of my dog, Frodo, as a young puppy. He's seven years old now and he's been a bundle of joy.

DCAM0006_zps7dd8c98c.jpg

• Upvote 5

That's a very touching post Micheal. I have tears in my eyes reading it. I have been there and I am sure many others on here will have the same feelings. The night we lost our eighteen month old setter was one of the longest nights I have known.

Frodo looks absolutely gorgeous as a pup and at seven yrs, I bet he's still the same, a bundle of fun to love. I expect he takes some grooming with all of that white fur. :)

• Upvote 2

Thanks, carni. My wife does all the grooming and it can take her hours. We have a large shower (No, not the kids. :biggrin:) so she gets in with him to get him really clean. She likes to do the grooming in the summer because she can do it in the garden with the sun shining down. She'll sometimes take Frodo to a grooming place if he's been out in the mud and she doesn't have the time to do it. He always looks great afterwards though.

• Upvote 1

When we had our Setters, we only had a bath. You can imagine the fun and games lifting a dog that size into a bath. Once she was in, she would just sit there patiently. Cautiously enjoying it! Meanwhile the other one would sit trembling, knowing what was coming!

Probably the hardest point was wrapping them in a blanket and getting them outside before "The Big Shake" .

Summer was no problem. The Hosepipe and Shampoo. They really loved that and would chase round the garden in and out of the water spray for ages.

• Upvote 1

I really wish we had. At that time, we didn't have a video recorder and most of our photo's have dissapeared. I think it's time to have a rummage in the photo box! I do know they had a lovely life with us. They were included in everything we did. If they couldn't go somewhere with us, then we didn't go either. I'll see what I can find in our memory box.

Thanks for sharing your story, Michael. Yes, we've been there too so can empathise... Is Frodo an Old English sheepdog? We have friends who are on their second one but they have him clipped! Sounds strange to me as the appeal of that breed to me is the long hair - as long as it's kept clean and brushed.

I remember the 'big shake' Carni, although we didn't bath our Shep very much - only if he was really muddy. We have some old cine film of Shep coming out of the sea one time and rolling in the sand to get dry. I suppose the sand acts like talcum powder to take away some of the wetness.

• Upvote 1

Its my Shih Tzu in full coat when he was Showing he won the Shih Tzu nationals in 2006 as best puppy & was a champion at 9 months he was then cut down until 2012 & grown out again so as to get his Grand Championship.

• Upvote 4

Its my Shih Tzu in full coat when he was Showing he won the Shih Tzu nationals in 2006 as best puppy & was a champion at 9 months he was then cut down until 2012 & grown out again so as to get his Grand Championship.

What ever you do don't ever cross him with a bull dog. ;)

• Upvote 1