Dogs and other family pets

In a lot of cases I would trust my dogs more than some of the children that I see. I think it is important for kids to be associated with animals from an early age but animals are living creatures and need to be respected as such. Most dogs are only as good as their owner and some of them are questionable to say the least. If an animal feels threatened it will naturally react as most humans would, the secret is to educate kids from an early age with an animal that is friendly. The bond that builds between man and animal is far stronger than human to human and will last a lifetime.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

My last dog Kiki was a bitch Akita, a very powerful dog with sadly a bad reputation bought on by some of the human trash they end up with.

I had her from a pup and never had any trouble with her but had some close shaves with experiences like Lizzie's with children running up to her unexpectedly. Two good things (1) you could lay into the stupid parents with impunity as once they learned it was an Akita and not a Husky they would crap themselves. (2) I was never in fear of an intruder as all the villains are scared to death of them as well and she had her picture in the front window.....

Seems like a lot of folks wouldn't know the difference between an Akita and a Husky.  They do look a bit similar if I remember rightly.  I wouldn't mess with either one or any strange dog for that matter.

6 hours ago, loppylugs said:

There are a lot of Bulldogs here.  University of Ga. football team is the Georgia Bulldogs.

Folks that own them say they are bad to snore because of their flat noses.  So don't let one sleep in your bedroom.  :)

To late on that one loppy, when i moved here he was distressed so i took him upstairs just for one night. Now when the lights go off he sits at bottom of stairs all ready for bed, i find that his snoring in an odd way gives me comfort.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I know a family who have an Akita. Beautiful looking dog but whenever the owner walks him, he always warns people not to touch Moomin, as the dog is called. They also have 3 Norwegian Forest Cats. Guess who rules the roost in that house...and it's not the dog!

I don't let children near my dogs. They are as soft as you like but, they are working dogs and they've not been brought up with children so I'm not certain how they would react to being treated like a stuffed toy. This can be quite difficult as they are Norfolk terriers with an appearance that invites oohs and aahs and comments like "elles sont très jolies" (aren't they cute).

I like dogs and cats though I won't have either again - it's just too upsetting when they die.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A way of partially ameliorating grief on the death of a pet is to have two of them. This helps the animal longterm (provide each other with friendship when humans are otherwise engaged) and lessens the impact of the death of one.

We had in the past three Irish Red Setters. The one died at about eighteen months with Gastro Enteritis?, The vet did an autopsy,  he suspected some kind of poisoning.  Long story, so I will leave it there. That one really broke my heart.The other two lived full happy lives, though not particularly long ones. the one had various illnesses through her life and eventually succumbed to one of them at 11 yrs. The really sad ending was that the other one must have been so sad that she went into a coma and died ten days later. We couldn't take the heart ache again so never had anymore.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

I would like a Bulldog or a Staffie.  Both very gentle breeds if treated correctly. Not Mrs PP's choice though and she will be doing most of the walking.

They are both lovely dogs, our Staffie came into our life hidden under our sons coat he knew once his dad saw the dog it was a done deal. Duke was with us for 14 years, the only problem with the breed is when out walking they have to be out in front, be it a few yards or a long as the lead will allow. I have no idea if all Bulldogs are the same but Silas will spend all his time sitting beside you fast asleep, an occasional snuffle to remind you to tickle his tummy. Don't you just love them to bits, one more little point in his favour he loves the cat that lives near us.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

When we lost Max my husband said he never wanted another dog as Max was so special. We didnt wait very long before we got Misty. My daughter has a pinscher called Sushi and at the beginning didnt get on at all but now they are close .Another problem arose when we got the 2 chihuahuas, two tiny ones with two bigger ones , not  really a wise choice .We kept them apart for a while and let them free when they were supervised. Ive had dogs all my life and I  told myself it was stupid to keep them all apart, however now they are all together and have a whale of a time. But we spent a lot of time thinking the little ones might get hurt.

To wake up not feeling too good or in a bad mood and being greeted by three excited dogs is worth more than a trip to the seaside.smile2

I take the little ones a walk every day and where one goes the other follows. The other day Lulu sat in the lounge crying. Didnt take much notice as she sometimes does this when Lily doesnt want to play. After a while I went to see what the matter was. She sat near the door into another room , kept running up to it and running back to me and crying. Behind the closed door  was Lily, she sneaked in like lightening when I'd gone through. It was touching to see the greeting they gave each other. One doesn't like being away from the other. They are only 7 mths old but there is such a strong bond between them.

It is very sad when you lose a pet but they bring you so much pleasure and love.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Brew said:

like dogs and cats though I won't have either again - it's just too upsetting when they die.

You're right, Brew, but as Shakespeare said, "All things that live must die."  All my cats have been strays and rescues. All the moggies down at cat rescue were either feral or dumped. To care for them and experience the truly unconditional affection they give in return is beyond price. We are all mortal and among the happiness there must be grief but there is the comfort of knowing you've made life better for a fellow creature...and they for you.

• Like 4

I'm with you on this, Jill.  I've loved and lost three dogs so far.  I'm now on numbers four and five and they could outlive me.  That said, I would do it again.  They all gave me more happiness than tears.  Grief is a part of life.  Their photo's are on my wall. I just remember the good times now and compare the tricks of my new ones to them.  Solomon, my late. Black Lab is buried in my back garden.  I even made him a headstone.  Sometimes I just stand there and think about him.  It can even still bring a tear, but it always ends with a smile.

• Like 3

Nowt wrong with being a ''Softie'' Loppy............i'm just as bad.................

• Like 3
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I'm with you on this, Jill.  I've loved and lost three dogs so far.  I'm now on numbers four and five and they could outlive me.  That said, I would do it again.  They all gave me more happiness than tears.  Grief is a part of life.  Their photo's are on my wall. I just remember the good times now and compare the tricks of my new ones to them.  Solomon, my late. Black Lab is buried in my back garden.  I even made him a headstone.  Sometimes I just stand there and think about him.  It can even still bring a tear, but it always ends with a smile.

Know the feeling well myself Dave.

Sometimes I prefer the company of animals more than humans.

• Like 4

I can just about cope with the grief. It's when I have to make the decision at the vets - does my best mate live or die.............  and that look as they took him through.

• Like 1

I've been there a time or two Brew and I sympathise.  The last time was when Solomon was diagnosed with cancer.  I knew he was suffering and I knew there was no cure.  I couldn't, keep him any longer for my own selfish reasons.  It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make.  I stayed with him 'til his last breath.  Still emotional to think about.  I just had to remind myself that he was going to die and probably very painfully if I didn't act.

• Like 1

You haven't seen Jake when he goes counter surfing.  Anything near the edge is fair game.  He moves like greased lightning.  Same with the dinner table.  Don't leave the table once served if you still want your dinner to be there when you get back.  Bailey eggs him on and they will split the proceeds if they get chance.

Edit.  Mick.......They play ball so well on the lawn I hardly need to walk 'em any more.  They wear themselves out.

• Like 3

I was always put off  having a cat after watching a friend’s cat striding over kids party food she was preparing on her kitchen worktop.  Our Rhodesian Ridgeback was able to effortlessly go on hind legs and eat anything left on the worktop, we soon learnt to never leave any food out but a house-sitter left a whole carrot cake out, Meg ate the lot, the result was a bit messy apparently!!   But then we got Jack the Patterdale Terrier and didn’t think it would be such a problem as he’s only little.   We under-estimated his agility!   Every time we weren’t looking he was up on the worktop, the only evidence was paw prints all around the kitchen surfaces.    Sadly his leaping about was curtailed a couple of years ago when he had to have surgery on a dislocated hip, he doesn’t have any problem running about now, but certainly no high jumps.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1