Dogs and other family pets

Hello Eileen, i loved reading your post, i adopted a retired greyhound a few months ago as company for Silas. Silas is the laziest english bulldog it takes him all his time to move from chair to chair, my idea was that an energetic greyhound would encourage him to move a little more. How wrong can you be....the only thing of interest to them both is finding the best place to sleep and trying to avoid going out. Masie is the most loving little girl and i would recommend anyone wanting a companion to consider a greyhound.

Gem

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Florida recently voted to end greyhound racing by the end of 2020. Right now there are 3,700 racing dogs and many brood bitches and puppies in training. That will be a lot of dogs to rehome.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got up this morning and felt a bit sniffly with a sore throat. Had a choice stay in and feel sorry for myself or take my boys to the park I have found nearby (don’t walk them on my own where my sister and I walk them as it is a bit lonely just fields and a wood, not good when you have to consider these things as a woman). So decided to take them out, I have to take them separately (the one left behind kicks off) but I don’t take them out together as if they decided to go I would be pulled over. Glad I did it has made me feel a lot better and they have now contentedly settled down for a nap (will have to keep moving them when I hoover). It will be a good day, walkies and chicken for dinner (the boys not me). 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, loppylugs said:

You can have a bit of chicken as well if you want SG.  I'm sure the boys would share.  I know mine wvould.  I'd just pinch some, ;)

We are on same wavelength today my two also had chicken, Mum picks one up for them with her shopping.  On one occasion when out for a meal she ordered a chicken to go i got nothing, least i know where i am in the pecking order....bottom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh dear had a slight blip yesterday, chicken wasn’t properly defrosted. So I spent the evening with two dogs with the hump. They made it very obvious they were not amused as when I touched them they turned their heads away and wouldn’t look at me. Made a point they were not happy by dropping as many biscuits on floor as eaten. Thankfully it is defrosted this morning so hopefully I will be forgiven and can come out of the doghouse. 

• Like 1

All our dogs are off their food and have been for a few days.I think they are getting a bit fed up with chicken and rabbit, rabbit and chicken. I've thrown away so much food, they just sniff and walk away. I leave it 10 mins and wrap it up and it goes in the fridge only to put put down and refused once more. Vets tomorrow.

Try to be pack leader as per Dog Whisperer but they do have their moments, they are male after all! Had their chicken this evening so peace is restored, both sleeping it off at moment.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Out walking my boys today and they made 2 new friends, a beagle and a beautiful Bermese Water Dog. He was gorgeous, only 8 months old but very calm and friendly. He was very handsome, had legs like tree trunks and enormous paws and stood as tall as my two boys. Dog greetings over we talked to owner, he already weighed 40kg at 8 months old, the same as my boys at 8 years old, will weigh in excess of 50kg when full grown. I had never seen one in real life just on tv rescuing people from water. I was really taken with him, as were my boys afraid the beagle didn’t get much of a look in, could have taken him home. Still my companion loves beagles so we were both happy.

• Like 3

Is it true that Beagles can be a bit noisy? They bay rather than bark or is that just when they are hunting? They are nice looking dogs, always look happy. Must admit one of mine has his moments - he looks at you and you can see him thinking “I know you called me but I will just do this first”.

• Like 4

he looks at you and you can see him thinking “I know you called me but I will just do this first”.

I know someone who tells me her husband is just like that!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

Is it true that Beagles can be a bit noisy? They bay rather than bark or is that just when they are hunting? They are nice looking dogs, always look happy. Must admit one of mine has his moments - he looks at you and you can see him thinking “I know you called me but I will just do this first”.

Yes.  He definitely bays when he's hunting.  As soon as I let him out the backdoor he's across the yard baying usually half way up a tree because a Squirrel just ran up there.  If he's inside he mostly barks like any other dog but a bit high pitched.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1