Dogs and other family pets

Just got up, made a cup of tea and opened door to let boys out. They both peered out the door, Kai immediately laid down, Wolf ventured over threshold, looked round, sighed (no walk today) and then came back in. They were back in front room stretched out before I had picked my cup up. Bet if I got the leads they would go out rain or not although they are not keen on strong winds. Looks like another day of squeaky chickens, throwing a tennis ball about and belly rubs (the boys not me!).

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Got a new dog groomer coming this morning. The original one I found when I first came down here, who was brilliant, seems to have disappeared, phone number now not available. I tried another one a few weeks ago but wasn’t very impressed with result and could hear Kai vocalising while she was grooming him which usually doesn’t happen. It isn’t easy to find someone who will do them, a lot say they don’t do large dogs. She actually came out to have a look at them before we made an appointment, had a long chat about what I wanted, trim, feet etc. She was sat on the bottom step of my stairs making a fuss of them and giving them a good look over,  explained what I wanted and she made her own suggestions as well, quite impressed with her. She is a bit more expensive than my last one, but as long as they are done properly (and aren’t as smelly) it is money well spent. They had an extra long walk and run yesterday as they won’t be going out this weekend, at least they will be clean for a couple of days, it is still a bit muddy in the wood and meadow we go in and they do get grubby bellies especially when they run so my floors end up like a crunchy beach! Chicken for them tonight as a treat for being, hopefully, good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Silas does not go out if it's raining/snowing/windy or hot he only goes out when HE wants to. Maisie  is not fussy as long as the walk is not to long only time she wants to stay out is when there is snow, only thing they have in common is laziness/eating and finding best place to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Wish my phone had recharged just now. The 2 chihuahuas were sitting barking outside when I told them to be quiet. The expressions on their faces was hilarious they didnt know where the voice was coming from and looked everywhere, up , down and sideways.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Groomer came, was greeted with great enthusiasm by my boys. Kai was done first, he can be a bit stubborn and decided he wasn’t getting in bath. Treats were disdainfully ignored, but after some gentle coaxing and a gentle push he got in. Couple of hours later he appeared looking beautiful and smelling even better. Groomer had a break, cleared bag full of hair from van, nicotine break and cup of tea and it was Wolf’s turn. He dashed straight into van and straight into bath, no problem. Couple of hours later he emerged just as beautiful and cologned. They haven’t been trimmed this time as they were getting a bit stressed, but they have had their claws and their hairy feet trimmed which is more important to keep the pads on their feet healthy. She was a bit more expensive than the original one but well worth the money, have booked them in again in about 8 weeks time. At present they are stretched out napping, looking gorgeous and smelling even better, obviously a busy day. Problem now do I take them out tomorrow so they get grubby running about, no doubt they will find every patch of mud and run through it, dogs will be dogs!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG-3120.jpg

Now this really is a dogs life. We sit on the floor:rotfl: Not really but you know how it is.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked my boys documents yesterday to see when their boosters were due, thought it was June but to my horror it was May. So this morning got up early to get them to vets (their walk in session starts at 8). 

Took Wolf, he enjoyed the short walk there, made a friend, even got on the scales okay which was a bonus as I normally end up having to manhandle him onto them which isn’t easy with a 40kg dog when they plant their feet. Everything okay with check up, injection given no problem and a nice walk back.

I was just going to take Kai for a walk, do the vets later this week but decided I might as well take him and get it over with. Once again walk down enjoyed, lots of fussing of ladies behind reception desk and friends made. The dreaded scales again, he kept dropping one foot off of them, eventually managed to get him on them without putting my back out. Glad to say he has put 4kg on, he was a bit light last time he went for initial check up at new vet just after we moved here. Check up okay although his teeth have a bit of tartar, injection done no problem and a nice walk back. 

Got back, goats milk and digestives (McVities - only the best, tried Asda/Co-op ones but not up to scratch) for boys, tea and dark choc hobnobs for me. Done for another year.

• Like 6

Just got back from a lovely walk (about 4/5 miles) with my boys. Not many people/other dogs about so they were off lead quite a bit. Lots of interesting sniffs to investigate (the boys not us), rustles in the undergrowth in the woods (will have to give them a once over with the brush when they are rested) and squirrels to sort out. Finished with a romp and play in the meadow (don’t know why but my iPad changed the last two words to Rotherham, is there much romping and playing there?) 

Slow plod back home, both the boys and us, and now two tired but very contented dogs are stretched out on their beds fast asleep. It will be a quiet afternoon so I can get caught up on a few things and then relax listen to my podcasts, decide whether to do my crocheting or cross stitch and generally chill out. Life can be good sometimes:rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

OI SETTEE, DOWN, FLOOR. 

Day 5 of 14 looking after my daughters adorable loveable most gentle Jack Russell while on her jollies, having kept a dog for over 20 years this as convinced me never again, day 14 could not come quicker, can't believe some sleep with their pets! Stair Gate borrowed & fitted, sure it's the owners that need controlling, not their dogs! 

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Day 14 young Dexters holiday with me will soon be over, collected around dinnertime, looking at him he's lost a lot of weight looks well trim, I have found areas of Wollaton Park that I never knew existed, sure only 30% is used? I've walked him miles, he's eaten my mail, including my Splendour & Crystal Palace tickets, now replaced.

Still convinced me the only dogs coming here will be sort term visitors.    

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I took one of my boys to the vet this morning, nothing specific just seemed to have lost a bit of his “sparkle”, they are both 9 so thought best to have him checked. The vets I go to have a “walk in” from 8 until 11 so we set off at 8. He found the walk down quite interesting, would have been a lot quicker if he didn’t plant his feet and refuse to be moved until an interesting sniff had been investigated. 

Got to the vets only 3 other dog owners there so not too bad. Ladies behind the counter were fussed (by Kai not me!) then we went to sit down avoiding the dog with the surgical collar on. First to be made friends with was a cockerpoo pup called Jackson, who was full of energy bouncing around all over the place and the seats. Seeing him on the seats Kai decided to get up too, now he weighs 38.6kg at the moment and is not easy to move if he doesn’t want to, so stern dog owner voice was called for. Ladies behind counter said it was okay for him to be on seats but my boys do not go on furniture, if they did I would be sitting on the floor.

Couple of other people came in, one with a cat who was meowing loudly which caught Kai’s interest, luckily they have a separate sitting area so he couldn’t go to investigate. Then there was a pug, Daisy, lots of “getting to know you” (always a bit worried when they greet small dogs as they can get a bit overpowering but Daisy took it all in her stride) and I am sure there was a bit of smooching! 

Finally got got to see vet, clean bill of health, everything fine, could just be the weather (he doesn’t like the heat), advised to get them on a joint supplement because of their age. Paid the (small for a change) bill and came home. Kai was thoroughly sniffed by his brother, told him all about his adventure, had a drink and a nap. Normal service resumed. 

Wolf did sulk a bit as I didn’t take him out, but he is going for a walk this afternoon to make up for Kai’s excursion.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It must be the heat, thats what I've put it down to. None of our dogs seem to be hungry, they sniff at their food and walk away. Vet has suggested ( a while ago) boiled cod and courgettes. They wolfed it down at first and they aren't interested. A bit worrying but vet says that they will eat when they're hungry. :(

Our dogs had their boosters a while ago except one, my daughters dog. The vet couldn't do it because Sushi had a false pregnancy and had milk. She was prescribed tablets for that and another thing that the vet caught unexpectedly. ( a tiny lump in her neck ) she took these tablets for 10 days, back to vets for booster, no chance she still had milk. I went back 3 times before she could be given her booster. All clear now, thank goodness. 

One of my dogs died last Friday afternoon. Entirely unexpected. She was apparently OK , went to have her sleep under the shade in the garden and that was it, she never woke up. My other dog brought her demise to my attention and she is still pining for her friend and companion. She was thirteen - which is a good age for a Norfolk Terrier.

Thanks for your good wishes.

She is very much missed by all of us. She was part of the household - and a working dog as well. The village will have to find some other way of controlling their rat population now!

We've buried her in the forests above the gorge.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The degree of upset when a pet dies prevents me from ever having another. My commiserations jonab and hope you gain some comfort from the fact she did not appear to suffer.

• Like 1

The loss of a pet can be traumatic all of us who have lost a friend will be feeling your pain. A few extra cuddles from your other dog will hopefully give you some comfort.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So saddened by your loss jonab. It's terrible when we become so attached to them, and their passing is so distressing.

God rest her little soul. 

Sorry to hear your news Jonab it never gets any easier no matter how many doggy friends we have. 

Jonab so sorry to open NS and find you have lost one of your dogs. I know it's heartbreaking to lose one of your pets. Thirteen is a good age but it doesn't make it any easier whether they have reached it or superseded  it. I can imagine how your other dog is feeling and she will miss her companion  for quite a while. She'll need extra cuddles. My chihuahuas were born within a week of each other and they've only been apart for the week between getting the first one and the second one. When they aren't in the same room they cry and search everywhere. I think they are more sensitive than a lot of humans. Where one goes the other goes. Jonab tonight keep her beside you and keep your hand over her , I'm sure it will comfort her and you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We had neighbors up north, that whenever the took a dog or cat to the vet, and said pet had to be put down, they would bring deceased pet back home to bury in the garden. But first they would have the other pets see it and sniff it, then they knew it was deceased and had not just disappeared without trace. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1