Dogs and other family pets

We brought my old black Lab, Solomon, home from the vets and buried him in the back yard nine years ago. Poor guy had cancer.  One of the saddest things I've ever done in my life.  I don't think I could do it now.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

9 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Finally got got to see vet, clean bill of health, everything fine, could just be the weather (he doesn’t like the heat), advised to get them on a joint supplement because of their age.

I can heartily recommend GWF Nutrition Joint Aid for Dogs. Both our Labrador, Alf, and our neighbour’s collie use it, and despite both being older (Alf is nearly 12), it has helped their mobility no end.

https://www.gwfnutrition.com/

• Like 1

About 10 years ago, Gazza, my last remaining cat had to be put down due to liver failure. I'd previously had a biopsy done to determine his  ailment, then when I noticed one evening that he was noticeably deteriorating, I had him put too sleep. I then had him cremated, and his ashes are on my bedside cabinet in a hollowed out wooden cat ornament. His collar and whiskers are buried in a flower border outside the back door.  Total cost, over £1, 000. It was worth it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, again everyone for your kind words. I thought about 'toughing it out' (is that a current phrase?) and keeping it to myself but then I thought otherwise just, perhaps, to let on if I seemed a bit different now.

It was a shock to everyone here that she had died as she showed no signs of illness at all (perhaps a little weaknes in her back legs). It was very touching to be 'told' about her demise by her friend and companion (my other dog) by her pulling at me to guide me to where the body was lying.

Anyway, it's nearly  week ago now and things are getting back to normal although it will never be quite the same.

I won't be getting another dog. I am too old and unfit to take the responsibility of being able to give it a good, exercise-ful life.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

You've got your fond memories jonab. That's what matters most.

• Like 2

Those of us that have never had pets can't even imagine the hurt we go through when they leave us.In their lifetime they bring so much joy and also a few surprises. My two little ones for example, the bigger one protects the tiny one from any inquisitive noses apnea stands nearby just in case.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Look carefully, my daughter bought a fluffy bed for her dog and brought it for us to see. Our dogs soon grabbed it and left Sushi out on the black cushion.

IMG-3605.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Can anyone see this advert at the bottom of the photo. Every now and again something similar appears and I can't get rid of it. We don't have bank of America here, I suppose we do but we haven't got accounts there so why it appears I don't know. Thats a another thing that Pees me off.

I think you may have been infected with some sort of malware, Brenda. I don't think it's particularly insidious, it leads to a USA website.

Can I warn others not to click on the link in the previous post as, if it is malware, it may infect your machine.

Do you ever do a scan with an antispyware program such as Trend Micro Housecall or Ccleaner? One or both of those may be able to sort it out.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

Can anyone see this advert at the bottom of the photo. 

I'm not sure of the how-and-why it appears, but I've removed it. 

Text like that usually comes via the image hosting site you use for photos (which do you use ?)

Thankyou Cliff Ton, I use Post image. It only appears occasionally. Maybe it picks up location on some photos. Anyway I dont go any further with it .

Jonab I have a Mac I didnt think malware infected them, may be wrong and be more aware. Thankyou.

Don't think that Mac machines are immune from malware. It's merely that they aren't as popular or common as Windows machines that they are less prone to attentions of criminals etc. but, Mac malware does exist.

• Like 2

That's another reason why I use Linux on my laptop.  I'm sure there is malware for Linux too, but I don't venture far online in these days.

I don't see any links on Nonna's photos on my Ipad.

• Like 1

Loppy, Cliff Ton kindly removed it. I don't go very far by navigating here , there and everywhere but think I will be more aware of malware.

Thank you .

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Got up on Saturday and Wolf wasn’t his usual bouncy self. He was shivering and didn’t look well at all (I know sounds silly but I could tell by his face he wasn't well.)

Had a cup of tea and kept an eye on him for a bit as the vet didn’t open until 8. I decided to take him and when I got the lead out Kai went into walk mode but there was no reaction from Wolf at all. We had a really slow walk to the vets, usually he likes to look inside every gate and can pull a bit but I felt almost as if I was dragging him along. When we got to the vets he wasn’t interested in any other dogs and just laid down and went to sleep. 
When we got into see the vet she examined him but couldn’t find anything. I knew what was coming next, because they are 9 going on 10 we started the “joint talk”. On the odd occasion I do have to take either to the vets this always comes up and they want to start them on painkillers. I told her he had showed no signs of having any trouble with his joints (we have always had big dogs and I have seen the signs before) even after an 8 mile walk. So she took him in the back to do a blood test, I was a bit upset when she brought him back to me as he had a muzzle on and was a bit distressed. I told her I could have held his head and they could have done the blood test without the muzzle as I have done this before with our other vet.

Anyway they rang me on Sunday morning with the results, she said the results were amazing, don’t know why, but it had picked up an infection so he needed a course of antibiotics, no mention of painkillers! Unfortunately when I got up on Sunday morning I had got a really heavy cold so wasn’t able to pick them up that day, thankfully he was a lot better. 
Picked them up this morning, they are like elephant tablets so am having to break them into 4 pieces, bought a couple of packs of wafer thin ham to wrap them. So battle commenced to get a tablet down him. I tried wrapping the piece of tablet in 1, 2 and 3 pieces of ham but he can still eat the ham and spit the tablet on the floor. The pack says they are palatable beef flavour but Wolf doesn’t seem to agree. As I was also having to give Kai ham as well the first pack was disappearing fast. (Pity I can’t claim on the insurance for the packs of ham.)
I finally gave him a tablet in 2 pieces of ham and said in my best Barbara Woodhouse voice “eat it all”, he gave me a long hard stare and then made a right performance of chomping up the tablet but at least I got the first one down him only 13 more to go. So if there is a scarcity (spelling?) of wafer thin ham I’m afraid I am to blame and apologise now!

• Like 2

I hope he makes a speedy recovery, SG. Nothing more upsetting than poorly furry friends and trips to the vet.  As for these tasty, palatable tablets they dish out...no one is fooled. The moggies take one sniff and roll their eyes!

I'm useless at getting pills into cats. Little scamps, they sit for half an hour and then spit them out. Fortunately, my friend at cat rescue is brilliant at such tasks, including getting awkward cats into carriers.

SG when I have same problem I use the tasty bites treats, they are quite soft so tablets push in. It usually takes 4 treats as like you I have to break them into small pieces. Won't work for everyone hoping Wolf soon back to normal.

Fireworks start again on Friday when Patch our rescue Jack Russell arrives. During his interview last week he chased the cats through the cat flap. Trying to figure out a mod to reduce the size of the entry flap.

If the birds, voles and mice are watching they will be chuffed to see the cats receiving a dose of their own medicine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I used to open the dogs mouth wide push the tablet in as far as I could, close the mouth and stroke the throat.It always worked but now it's a traumatic experience for me and the dogs. Our dogs take anti filaria tablets from June to November and I've found the best solution is crushing the tablets with a little butter. Very rarely it gets spat out. These tasty tablets  just don't exist. 

When we had our black German Shepherd he used to get a lot of water infections and had to be on a special diet for it. As he wouldn’t take tablets at all our vet decided to give us a liquid antibiotic with a syringe to administer it. He showed us how to do it putting the liquid into the side of the mouth and Joe just swallowed it amazingly. It looked really easy and seemed to solve the problem.

However when I tried to do it the liquid ended up all over me as well as the kitchen floor and walls. What was left in his mouth just trickled down his front and I just got that “look” German Shepherds have. In the end we worked out that if we dissolved the tablets in his goats milk and made a big fuss about him having pink milk he would drink it no problem with one of his favourite treats after. Not sure if he ever twigged on about it but it was definitely less traumatic that other options for both of us (probably more me actually I am sure he enjoyed the game).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Cheddar cheese has always tricked our dogs.  Every dog we’ve had has immediately noticed when a lump of cheese is taken out of the fridge and they’ve usually got a sliver so it’s been very useful when medication has to be administered .  

• Like 3