Dogs and other family pets

6 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I just got that “look” German Shepherds have

3 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Cheddar cheese has always tricked our dogs.

I am sure our German Shepherd took great delight in separating the tablets from the cheese, meat or anything else you tried to disguise them in and then giving you that look that said "Thought you'd fooled me didn't you"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gave the contents of his dish a thorough sniffing but ate it eventually.

I posted this ages ago but can't find it now:-

How to give a cat a pill.

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill in mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
  2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
  3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
  4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
  5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
  6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paw. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat
    vigorously.
  7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
  8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
  9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
  10. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door on to neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
  11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
  12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
  13. Tie the little bastard’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
  14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
  15. Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How to Give a Dog a Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.
  2. Toss it in the air.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

I never have any problem giving our two cats their 3 monthly worming tablets.. I just hold them by the scruff of their neck in my left hand and lift  their front legs off the ground.  When they open their mouth to protest, I poke the tablet right to the back of their throat using my right thumb and forefinger.  I keep holding their scruff and rub their throats and it's done.  

Not so good at doing the spot on flea treatment though.  It needs 2 of us to do that!!

• Like 1

When master and I decided to call it a day on long all travel and also just going over the channel. We decided to have a dog and holiday's in the UK, 

During our year's we have had many dogs, well dogs !! no only bitches  it was decided that at our ages a rescue dog would be best, well we looked and looked but could not find what we wanted, we had 2 Rotties and had done trials with them many years ago and i think this was t back of our minds. 

One day while at Chinese brush painting the tutor had her dog with her it was a west island white, mind made up we started looking, well we found Meurig Kennels in Wales which had Westies and other dogs. Went down to pick up our Westie. Well it was in a pen with a young minature Schnauzer this Schnauzer came straight up to master and licked him, that was it we ended up with Sam a dog, we have had Sam about 7 months now and I would not swop him for anything or anybody. My only worry is age (me that is) have we done the right thing we did not intend having a puppy but HAY-HO we got Sam    and he's great.

• Like 3

I understand your concerns about getting a puppy (at your age smile2) but your Young Sam will keep you  fit and healthy, as long as you can get out in the fresh air every day walking him.  We’ve always had either one or two dogs and getting out walking every day has kept us both fit, even in the winter (which I really hate)   Our Patterdale is now 13 and not exactly slowing down but it takes him a while to get over a long walk, we have to pace him ...... 6 miles on Sunday, not too far yesterday but 5 miles today.  He’s zonked out in his bed right now!   My legs ache a bit too!!  I’m sure Sam will be your companion for many years.

• Like 3

Never had trouble taking my worm tablets! Can you remember the worm cakes as kids? Like chocolate buttons with hundreds & thousands on top. Not saying I had worms mind.

1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

6 miles on Sunday, not too far yesterday but 5 miles today.  He’s zonked out in his bed right now!

Why am I not surprised!  I'd be flat on my back for a week!  :Shock:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Today has gone from a normal day with a routine vet appointment to something horrendous. I have lost my beautiful boy Wolf tonight, I am devastated and heartbroken. How do I explain to his brother, who is sitting looking at me crying because his brother isn’t here, that he is not coming back to us. 

Oh SG, I’m so sorry to hear that Wolf has gone over the rainbow bridge.  I can understand how devastated you are, those boys have been your best mates and great company for you as you adjust to your new surroundings.   Don’t be sad and upset for too long, you still have a lovely dog to help you get through this.  Many of us on here know exactly how you must be feeling right now, thinking of you. x

• Like 3

This is one of the few occasions when I can offer condolences and actually understand. Losing a pet is, as you say, devastating and the reason I will never have another. You have my heartfelt sympathies SG.

• Like 1

SG. I feel so sad for you tonight.   What exactly was wrong with your lovely Wolf?  As Lizzie says, I hope Kai will help you as you come to terms with your loss ...   I've lost 2 dogs and several cats over the years and can  remember the pain. Thinking of you x

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

We thought he just had an infection, he had been on antibiotics but was still not right. Went in for more blood tests and then vet decided to do xrays and scans to find out where infection was. Unfortunately scans showed up tumours in his liver and spleen with secondary’s in his chest. 
Couldn't believe it as he had shown no signs of anything before this. Two weeks ago we did an 8 mile walk to Wollaton Park and he had a great time. I am just numb with the shock of it. 
I have managed to settle Kai down now, he has had something to eat and has finally gone to sleep, I will have to see whether he will be settled all night or not. 

SG I am so sorry I can understand how you feel no matter what we say nothing will take away the pain you are feeling.  I know from experience that Kai will be confused the extra cuddles you give him will be returned to you and you will take comfort from each other. 

You are in my thoughts. Gem 

• Like 1

So sorry to read your post SG. We love our pets and I know to lose them leaves us as bereaved as losing any family member. I sat through the night with a sick 18months old Irish Setter in my arms many years ago, only to lose her at 5am to suspected Parva virus. I was broken hearted. In later years our second Setter got ill aged 10yrs and passed away, leaving her other broken hearted mate, sadly she also died 10days later, probably through grief.

All you can do is give Kai your love at this sad time and between the two of you, you will get through. Take care of yourselves . So sorry.

SG so sorry to see you have lost Wolf, he sounded such a wonderful dog and obviously was happy with you. Kai will probably grieve for him but it shows just how much dogs have feelings. I hope you both come to terms with your loss and think of all the good days you all had together and continue to have

Not exactly on the same theme but this afternoon my husband took the eldest dog ( a pinscher) out for a walk. Its wet and muddy but she needed to go. All the time they were out Lulu my tiny chihuahua cried and howled because she ( Misty) was no longer in the house. I know she cries if she can't see her sister Lily and its the first time Ive heard her cry so much. When they came back Lulu examined every inch of Misty checking that she was ok. 

Give Kai lots of love , cuddles and chicken and try to do the same things you all did together. Give him a cuddle from me.

Take care of yourself too.

• Like 4

Kai and I have been out for our first solo walk to the park. Don’t know if it was a good idea to take him there as we went with Wolf quite a bit. I took him on the flexi lead, didn’t let him off lead as he was looking round all the while we were on there possibly expecting to see Wolf and I was worried he might take off to look for him. When we got back and I took his lead off he rushed in like he did when I had both boys to tell Wolf where he had been. It made me cry. I then had half an hour of him crying which was heartbreaking. I have looked up advice on how to deal with him and it says not to make a fuss of him when he does this. It is so hard as he is so sad and lost. 
I think I will have to find somewhere else to walk him where we haven’t been before for a while until he has adjusted to being on his own. I hate seeing him like this it is so upsetting that I can’t explain what has happened to him. 

Not sure I agree with the advice about not making a fuss of him.  Dogs grieve too and he's had  a shock. I would say just don't over do it, but just give him some loving attention.  You are all he's got just now.