Dogs and other family pets

I do sympathise, Lizzie. Some years ago, Spock, one of our cats had an accident and temporarily lost the use of his bladder. The vet had to express his urine manually which involves applying pressure to the appropriate area of the cat's anatomy. Needless to say, Spock didn't like it because it is both undignified and painful.  When he came home, the vet had to teach us how to empty Spock's bladder and recommended that just one of us should undertake the task because it could damage Spock's relationship with that person.

I will never forget the look of relief on Spock's face when, one Friday evening, he saw bladder emptying time approaching, got into his tray and emptied his own bladder!  We were just as relieved as Spock because it was an awful thing to have to do but very necessary.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Lizzie, I can't stop wondering about how you managed to get a urine sample. Lol

It had to be planned Margie ....... a plastic bowl and then transferred into one of those little sample bottles that we humans occasionally have to make use of.   He did wonder what the hell was going on, you could see him thinking that he can’t even have a pee in peace!  

• Like 3

We all have to do what we have to do with our pets to make them comfortable. I learnt years ago ( maybe 60 yrs ago) to empty the anal glands on a dog. Not a nice thing even for the dog and it doesn't get easier with the passing yrs. Fortunately it's not a regular .occurance.

I had a German Shepherd that used to get cystitis a lot, he used to get crystals in his bladder. I had to regularly get a sample from him for the vet to check as he was on a special diet and occasionally anti biotics to control it. He got to know what the jug was for and was able to run away and pee at the same time! (Only dog I ever had that could do that.) I spent many hours stalking him round the garden and then chasing him to get the sample much to the amusement of my neighbours. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I had a German Shepherd that used to get cystitis a lot, he used to get crystals in his bladder. I had to regularly get a sample from him for the vet to check as he was on a special diet and occasionally anti biotics to control it. He got to know what the jug was for and was able to run away and pee at the same time! (Only dog I ever had that could do that.) I spent many hours stalking him round the garden and then chasing him to get the sample much to the amusement of my neighbours. 

I saw a bloke do it once when a patrolling copper caught him peeing in the Market Square late one Saturday night back in the swinging sixties.

This is "Spam" the local feral tomcat, stalking his food bowl in the garden.

spam-6396-6-1.jpg

Here's "Spam" with his girlfriend "Spat" A feral female whose name aptly describes her attitude. [Photo taken in twilight, hence grainy image]

IMG-6142-Spat-and-Ginge.jpg

As I said to you on Fb,  in about  63 days there'll be a few more kitties around.   Aaaah lovely !

Please, please get them neutered and spayed. Yes, kittens are adorable but unless you can be sure of finding good, caring, loving homes for them, it just adds to the local feral populations, disease, pain and suffering.  I make this appeal to anyone who is feeding stray or feral cats. Neuter/spay and prevent population explosions. 

Jill up until maybe a year ago my neighbour had 3-4 cats indoors that we never see and she fed the strays all 19 of them. We got fed up with them digging up plants in tubs and using them as toilets. Gradually she got the numbers down until there were only a few left, we payed for some of them to be spayed as they were all females with the occasional visit from the only male. Now although they don't usually bother us my husband buys food for them, tinned and kibble and he keeps them in the boot of his car and they wait outside the gate to be fed.

Your husband is a kind person, quite clearly, to feed the cats.

Yes, uncontrolled colonies of cats will do much damage. That goes for uncontrolled colonies of anything. Just look at the filthy mess left behind on UK beaches after visits by hordes of uncontrolled humans in the heatwave last week!

There is still too much of the attitude that says female cats should be allowed to have at least one litter of kittens. Then, when the cute factor has worn off and the cost of food, litter and medical bills arises, they and their unfortunate mother are turned out to fend for themselves...and breed!

I and many others who love cats feel that all males should be neutered and all females spayed. The CPL provide vouchers for cases where genuine hardship prevents payment.  Unchecked breeding is easily remedied. The reader can decide for themselves whether that statement is applicable solely to felines!

Jill my husband comes in and the first thing he does is greets and kisses all the dogs in turn , talks to them and fusses them. He then asks if they've eaten. I'm usually the last to be greeted and kissed and then I tell him yes I have eaten. welcomehome

It just happens like that, he loves me really. The dogs hear him coming in and are behind the door before I know he's home.

• Like 2

Our dog once rolled in a decomposing seagull lying on the beach at Ingoldmells..

BK you have the image, I can still remember the smell.  Afterwards, we had to forcibly hold him under the tap in the field where our caravan was! (And even that didn't work too well). Another time, when we were staying on Sea Bank Road in Chapel St Leonard's, my previous dog disappeared when we were packing up to go home.  Eventually he arrived back looking very pleased with himself, covered in yuk.... he'd obviously decided to get into the open drain at Chapel Point which takes effluent into the sea there.   He, too, had to be held under the tap in the field and we all had to endure the smell as dad drove us home.   

We've had many a happy holiday there, not in the drains, but at Chapel. Used to stay in a bungalow on, appropriately, Kings Chalet Park. Nottingham Spastics Society had a couple of chalets there.