Dogs and other family pets

Apparently when dogs roll in shit it’s to mask their own smell when hunting, anyone got any deer recipes? Fortunately on the way home a bloke was jet washing his block paving, few sharp blasts owd Dexter’s sparking & good to go home.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

We had a golden Labrador when my children were small. We decided to go to Wollaston park. There was no one around so we let Sophie off her lead, she made a dive for the moat and washed herself in the mess. We couldn't get it all off her so we had to suffer the smell all the way home. 

• Upvote 1

Normal behaviour for labs. All three of mine have loved wallowing in mud. The worst was Jamie, my first lab. While walking the fields around Harby, he happened upon a silage pit and decided to have a paddle.

Twenty minutes with the hose pipe, followed by a bath, did very little to remove the smell.

• Like 3

We had a Blue Heeler in Australia, after the wife had given her a bath, she'd dig a hole uner the fence into a field with cows in it, find a nice wet cow pat and roll in it.

We had a dog here who hated skunks, he try and chase them, but skunks stand their ground, turn their backs on their quarry and squirt them....Boy did that dog stink, he never learned. He also hated racoons, now they are real nasty critters, bark and growl like a dog and have the temperament of a mountain lion!!

He often had them run up a tree, the coon would just get comfortable, fall to sleep with the dog at the bottom of the tree. After a while the dog would go to sleep, Coon would sneak down and tippy toe off......LOL

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I expect you remember the octopus who could supposedly predict the winner of a football match, well I think our cat has decided to direct us to where we should go on holiday.... he loves lying on the Road Map book and he apparently is pointing us to an area near Whitstable, Herne Bay or Westgate on Sea, sort of north of Canterbury.  Anyone ever been to that area?

IMG-0060.jpg

• Like 2

Jill, I told Zippy that you think he's f*t but he insisted that it's just his thick fur!   

Now, now Margie. I didn't say he was f*t! I said he looks very well fed.  We have a Maine Coon at the cat sanctuary. She has an enormous fur coat. We call it fat fur!

I've been watching Charlie, my new boy, chasing his tail for over an hour this morning. If I didn't know he was 4 years old, I would never guess.

'Fat fur' - I like that expression.   You aren't the only person who has commented on his size so I now have an answer for them!  

Does Charlie think he's a dog?

Charlie thinks he's a kitten and he still looks very kittenish. He's now fast asleep, as kittens do after a bout of frantic activity. Arrested development, perhaps?  Doesn't matter to me. He's still adorable!

• Like 1

This is my daughter's new puppy Pika.  He developed a lump on his neck which the vet checked with a needle but no pus came out. He was given anti biotics and anti inflammatories.

Next day the lump burst. It was an abscess... possibly caused by play with other pups.  Back at the vets was treated and dressed but couldn't have a Cone on his neck due to position of the wound, so daughter was advised to try a Babygro to stop him scratching the wound.  I don't think he was too happy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4YF2aFb7ZJjoB9n49

I think he's feeling better now:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JY1gm6b4ek44256P7

• Like 1

He does look cute but it must be confusing for him having to wear a nappy!.... or does your daughter take him outside in the garden to perform (minus the nappy!)

I think she has something worked out.  :)

I do not like to see dogs kept in cages, worked with a mechanic that told me he had this compartment built into his kitchen cabinets where he stored his daughters dog when he was in the house, never liked or gave him the time of day after that, would happily have locked him in a cabinet/cage :(

• Like 2

We’ve never kept our dogs in cages but I don’t think it’s a problem if they start off in a cage as a puppy, during the night and when in the house alone.  A good friend of mine, who sadly passed away last year, thought more of dogs and other animals than she did people but she had a cage which her dog slept in all the time, during the day the door was open but it was the dog’s refuge and was happy in there.  
I tell a lie actually ...... we did try our little Jack in a cage in the hope he wouldn’t wreck the house when we were out.  It wasn’t a successful experiment, he fought his way out of it, using his little jaws to bend the wire so much that it dislodged the gate catches and he got out, and then wrecked the house.  Fireworks always sets him off and unfortunately it was one of those random firework displays (nowhere near Bonfire Night) that created the issue.   It’s a good job we love him.  

Pika is not 'kept' in a cage.  His cage is his own space and it is open all day.  If you think about it the concept of a 'cage' is a human construct. For Pika it's just 'his' place.  He goes in there when he wants.. which is often.... for a sleep.  He's still a very young pup.

Most of the day he wanders the house, and goes in the garden under supervision. (He'll eat anything that's not nailed down..) ..or just drops where he is for a kip. He's still too young to be taken outside for walks.

At night he's 'banged up' to stop him wandering and for his own safety... No different to a baby in a cot.  But daughter is getting up a couple of times a night to check on him and let him out for 'comfort breaks'.

I'm not a doggy person myself but I would be the first to complain if I thought he was being badly treated.   Plenty of dogs are badly neglected, abused, starved and beaten without ever going near a cage.  For what it's worth, my Sister in Law and her hubby have had very well kept Ormskirk Heelers, Staffs, Jack Russells and others for over 40 years.  Up to five at a time in an immaculate house. And they use cages.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I can see both sides of this issue.  A dog will use a crate like a doghouse.  Our Lab used to like to wander into his and have a doze during the day.  The door was always left open.  It was never used as a punishment, but we did shut him in sometimes as a youngster when we went out.  Otherwise he would have a chew on anything.  Bad for him and bad for us.

I have a cage which was used for each moggie when they arrived here as kittens, so that the others could get used to them but not touch them. They had a litter tray, bed and food/water pots/toys in there.  I keep it in a spare room. Its door is always open and there is a blanket and cushion inside. I often find one of the Moggies asleep in there, looking quite comfortable.

• Like 2

I have never used a cage but see nothing wrong with them if used properly. My dogs have always had a space that was “theirs”. In my house in Doncaster the front room was “L” shaped so The small part of the L, if you what I mean, was their space with beds and toy box (yes I know dogs with a toy box), although the toys did tend to end up all over the place, dogs did as well really but they had a place to retire to which was their own.

I have noticed since losing my Wolf that Kai now beds down in a different place from before. He has 2 favourite places, one in the hall by the front door where I have put his blanket (with his cool pad when needed, although he went and sat on it when I tried to pick it up after the weather cooled) and the other is between an armchair and the settee which seems to be his favourite. He tends to lie touching the settee, probably comforting for him as Wolf and him used to sleep together usually touching each other.
He does come upstairs with me at night and settles on the landing, but after a bit I hear him going downstairs again. I know in the night he occasionally comes back up as I hear him sometimes and he comes in to check on me, I can feel him looking at me very intently. 
When we come in from our walks he still goes all over the house and then has to go out into the back garden. I do wonder if he is looking to see if Wolf has come back, if one went out without the other they did used to have a greeting ceremony when they were reunited. 

• Like 1

Our two tend to sleep in the corners, one each side of our bed.  We put their beds there.  When we first got Bailey we put a baby gate across the corner because we didn't know what he would do during the night.  After a week of this he started to cry in his bed.  We couldn't understand why.  Finally I wondered if he was scared the gate might fall on him.  So we took a chance and took it down.  He stopped crying immediately.  We've never put it back and he hasn't cried since.  Trustworthy too.  He's never been destructive, unlike Jake the Beagle.

• Like 2

I think the Moggies see the cage as a voluntary, time out, space.

My large ginger cat is a lovely lad but he can be a bit boisterous. He particularly likes to playfight and although never nasty it can get a bit too much for the others who have the option of beetling off to the cage for a bit of respite.  One of them knows how to close the door once he's in there, as if to tell ginger Bruno to leave him alone!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just taken a Kai for his booster that should have been done in June and his six monthly check up. Had to wait outside the vets, ring to say I was there, then vet called to have a chat before he was taken in by one of the nurses whilst I waited outside. Some of the dogs set their feet and had to be dragged/carried in without their owners, Kai he just went straight in without a backward glance ready for the adventure!
Everything okay except for some of his teeth, I had noticed a bit of a tartar build up on one of his canines. The vet came out and said he needed a descale and then they would have a look at the teeth as it is possible he might need extractions, estimated price about £300. Just checked with my insurers what will be covered, the descale isn’t, the extractions possibly depending upon whether he has had regular check ups etc. (He has).

Because of his age (he is 10) the monthly payments really went up at the last renewal, plus the excess went up to £135 and I have to pay 20% of the balance that is left. I can understand that he is getting older so the payments will go up but am a bit peeved (what a lovely word although it could have been pi**ed to be honest) as I could count the times I have claimed for him on one hand. Don’t get me wrong I will pay whatever it takes to make sure he can be looked after properly, I don’t begrudge him that, he is worth every penny (as was Wolf). 

Looks like my decorating will have to wait for a bit longer. Such is life!

• Like 1