Dogs and other family pets

I have been a bit wary of big dogs since Max was attacked by a pitbull. the pit took him round the ribs and tossed him upside down. the squeals of terror were terrible, I didnt think twice I just stepped up to the dog to try to pull his jaws open to let go. Stupid I know and I did come away with injuries but I would do it again.. My nephew kicked the dog where it hurt and he did let go. But last January when we went to Sicily a cousin has a pitbull and he was a big softy so I could cuddle him and make a fuss. The cousin has his dog for work he's a carabinieri Marshall and carries a gun so I suppose the dogs a backup. I cant say I would be too keen to fuss strangers dogs though. its only that one episode that made me wary.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

nonnaB    On going a walk with my Rotti  I saw two men who were training a Pitbull they were hitting him with a leather piece of strap while the dog hung on to some tree branch. I only knew that this dog was being trained to be a fighter because at the time I was doing working dog trials, and we had seen a dvd on how they train Pitbulls. First phone call RSPCA.

Big dogs, little dogs ...... respect should be shown to all sizes and breeds, they can all turn nasty.  We’ve had 4 dogs since we married 45 years ago.  A Golden Retriever who had a real Jekyll and Hyde personality and who bit all of the family except me, always when food was involved.  Then a Jack Russell who was a timid little soul, didn’t like to be told off and wouldn’t harm a fly. Then our big beautiful, loyal Rhodesian Ridgeback who, although quite stubborn, would do no-one any harm and could be trusted implicitly, she had a terrifying bark that would frighten the most horrible ‘intruder’ and then we had little Jack the Patterdale Terrier who was naughty but never argued with us or other dogs and he didn’t even think he was a dog. 
However, knowing your own dog’s personality traits doesn’t mean they will behave in public.  18 months ago our granddaughter (aged 6 at the time) was staying with her Czech granny and went to play with 2 little girls the family knew.  This family had a GSD and as all the kids were running around the garden the dog attacked our granddaughter, mauling her head. She hadn’t provoked the dog, she has grown up with a ‘Bull-Boxer’ and knows that you don’t mess with dogs.  She was rushed to hospital in an ambulance and spent almost a week in there on IV antibiotics.  Fortunately all the deep cuts were in her hair (both sides of her skull) so she has no visible scarring and hopefully no emotional scarring. This episode hasn’t spoiled her love of animals, especially dogs.  

I am always amazed at parents letting their children approach a strange dog.  
Kai isn’t used to children, not that he would hurt them but he can be a bit enthusiastic in greeting people/dogs sometimes, not nasty just pleased to see them. If asked if he can be petted I always warn of this, but if they just approach without asking I always tell them no. 
I certainly wouldn’t touch a strange dog without getting the owners consent. But since covoid have said no to all and not touched anyone else’s dog either, just admired from a safe distance especially Fergus a young (7 months old) Irish Terrier who is absolutely beautiful. He is a red fox colour and is so excited when he sees someone/another dog he jumps up and down in the spot like he is on a pogo stick. I could certainly take him hone with me!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As many to this forum are pet lovers, it is inevitable that not all people are.

In my locality a family have two noisy beagles who bark on any occasion, typically when the owner returns home. A recent addition, a rescued labrador has a yelping bark and the sound of an opening door often starts the barking off.  

The dogs are seldom taken out for exercise and are mostly left to come and go in the garden via a dog flap in the conservatory.

The LA has been advised of this nuisance and adjacent neighbours have made numerous complaints. The dog owner is arrogant, unapproachable and blames the dog nuisance on the neighbours with the insult that ‘it’s not my problem’. However, one neighbour confronted her with, ‘it will be your problem as when your dogs disturb my sleep I’m coming at night to disturb yours.’ This caused the owner some shock when confronted so directly, but it had the desired affect.

Another next-door neighbour subjected to this constant intrusion to his privacy to a point of raised stress and increased ill-health effects due to the dog nuisance said to me that if the labrador comes into his garden again he intends to kill it. He keeps a one-metre steel bar and a plastic bag in his shed ready for use if the dog escapes onto his land again!

Please be aware of the stress and loss of privacy to others caused by dog owners who allow their dogs, who are left for long periods unsupervised, to behave in an uncontrolled manner and become an aggravating nuisance. Such examples may lead to loss of well-being and increased ill-health to others.

• Like 3

Such people are not fit to have dogs....or any animal!  Personally, I'd pen the owners up all day and when they complained, I'd gag them. As to what I'd do to people who harm animals or threaten to harm them, I wouldn't like to tell you but I think the owner of the steel bar would be walking rather gingerly, if at all, after I'd stuffed it in a certain orifice!  It is NOT the dog's fault.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I agree with you Alpha. Having always owned dogs we can’t stand barking dogs and fortunately we haven’t had to suffer that annoyance from neighbours animals, just except for one about 150m along the road that always seems to be outside behind a high fence, we have no idea what breed it is but it sounds large!  The only time our recently departed dog would bark was when the door bell rang and when he spotted a cat outside, then we’d have to let him out to frighten the cat away ...... sorry cat lovers, he never got close to them though and it was a game between neighbours cats and our dog. 

• Like 1

We use to have a Sheltie, a sweet and mild tempered dog, but she certainly was protective of us. The only time she barked and shown any signs of violence was when the telephone rang, then heaven help any ringing telephone that tried to break into our house.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I had to take Kai to the vets, he definitely wasn’t right always a worry especially at his age. Managed to get an appointment in the morning so we walked down there. They had their lockdown rules again so I had to ring to let them know I was there, the vet then rings you back to find out what is wrong and eventually someone comes out to take your dog in. You have to stay outside. It was freezing on Saturday morning and we had to wait about half an hour for the vet to ring, by that time I was really cold. She came out to get Kai and told me to wait in my car, told her we had walked down so she asked the reception staff if I could wait inside, permission was granted I am pleased to say. They have got it set up with cubicles for you to wait in and the reception staff are encased in Perspex with masks and face shields and I had my mask as well. 
Anyway Kai went with the vet, had his bloods done and it seems he has an infection, he had numerous injections and we came away with 2 lots of tablets and a much lighter bank balance, although the insurance should cover some of it. He didn’t need his tablets until this morning.

I gave him some chicken first thing, he hasn’t eaten properly for a couple of days, which went down very well. He has to have 2 anti-biotics and 2 tablets for his stomach (he had been sick through Sunday night) every day. Nipped out yesterday and got him some wafer thin cooked ham, which he is partial to, to use to give him his tablets. Tried him with the ham without the tablet but he turned his head away, same with another bit of chicken. Left him for a while and tried again, he took the ham walked down the passage and spit it out on his mat and wandered off into the front room. 
So now I tried bribery and found myself telling him if he took his tablets I would take him out for his “gentle exercise”. Funnily enough this didn’t work!

Left him again for a bit and then tried again, still wouldn’t co-operate. So telling him this was his own good I wrapped half a tablet in a piece of ham and tried to open his mouth but he clenched his jaw so I couldn’t. I wagged my finger at him and told him he WOULD take it, I put the tablet down and carefully opened his mouth and put the tablet/ham in his mouth and then held his mouth closed gently whilst rubbing his throat. We were like this for a while staring into each other’s eyes until he finally swallowed, did the same with the other half of the tablet. I haven’t attempted the other tablet which is to settle his stomach, thought the anti-biotics were more important and he hasn’t been sick since Sunday night. We then went for a little walk. Must say he has been watching me very closely since we got back.

1 tablet down 13 more to go. 

• Like 4

Poor Kai! I'm sorry to hear he's not well. It must be a tremendous worry for you.

Tablets are such fun, aren't they?

I remember taking a cat to the vet years ago and complaining that I couldn't persuade him to swallow his pills. The vet, with a rather smug expression, said she would show me how it was done.  Mr Puss thought otherwise and got her right in the mouth with his claws out!

Vets' blood is red, too, in case you've ever wondered!

Hope Kai is soon his bouncy self again.

I can never undertand why they seem unable to formulate animal medication that isn't thrown back at you (sometimes with great force) every time it's administered.The veterinary medication market is big enough, surely.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I

I’m fine giving our cats their worming tablets but prefer giving liquid meds via a syringe.  Once that’s gone in their mouths, on top of their tongue, they can’t argue!

• Like 1

Cheese being a favourite treat for our dogs, we’ve always pushed any pills into a little chunk of cheese and thrown it to them. Doesn’t even touch the sides.  However, as I was telling a few months ago, giving insulin injections twice a day wasn’t quite so easy.  

I sometimes had to give my mums dogs tablets and it was easy. Open the jaws and pop the tablet as far back as possible close and hold the mouth and stroke their throat. BUT  I can't do this with our dogs they struggle too much. It's ok if someone can hold them whilst giving the tablet but otherwise it's difficult to hold them and give the tablet on ones own.My husband doesn't like me doing that he prefers to crush and add water to give with a syringe. In any case it's better that they don't need them.

Going to have a few days of one of them refusing to eat. Husband goes into hospital tomorrow and she really misses him so it's going to be tough. More cuddles and walks for her in case.

Kai went back to the vets yesterday evening. I must say the urine sample was easy to get, he had had a steroid injection so was drinking a lot so just followed him out into garden with an old jug and got enough to float a boat. Don’t think it will be that easy ever again!

Anyway he was a little bit better yesterday, had a bit more interest in things although still had a bit of a battle getting his tablet down him and he is still not eating properly. I have given up with the ones for his stomach, he hadn’t been sick since Friday night anyway, they were capsules and I was getting fed up of finding them where he had wandered off and spit them out. 
His temperature has gone down so hopefully it is just a case of finishing his course of antibiotics and convincing him his meat is just as tasty as the chicken he has been having the last two days!! At least he has had a full blood workout so I know everything else seems to be okay.

Don’t know about having the patience of a vet it is more a war of attrition with him at times he is so stubborn (well he is male) so I have to be stubborner, if that is a word. 
We have had a gentle walk to the park this morning, didn’t go all the way round as there was about 2” of standing water on the grass so he is having a snooze now. 
Relieved he is improving slowly, I was really worried about him especially with his age (he is 11 in April) which is getting on for a large dog. Now looking forward to him being fully fit again and more muddy walks in the woods with his new coat. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Had to take Kai back to the vets this morning he wasn’t himself again and hasn’t been eating for a couple of days again, thought the infection might not have cleared up properly.

The walk down to the vet was very slow, I was starting to think we wouldn’t make it to be honest. Anyway no infection but the vet has picked up on a heart murmur, which has never been mentioned before, but does explain how tired he has been getting. Got tablets for him, which are enormous, but they have to be given an hour before food which is going to be awkward as he isn’t interested in eating at the moment. He has had an injection which should make him eat but will have to wait and see. He is supposed to start them tonight, luckily I have a pack of chicken in fridge so that will cover tonight. Problem is if I have to give them an hour before food, how will I know he will have something to eat when I have given him them. I can see the sales of chicken going thru the roof!! Got to ring them tomorrow to tell them how he is going on, they will give him another injection if he still isn’t eating. Bit of a conundrum. 
It also means his walks will have to be cut down, the woods are out of bounds as is running round the meadow. Feel really sad for him as he loves going to both these places. Getting old is a bi**h. 
I am thinking about getting a puppy to be with him in his final years, just something small, quite fancy a cockapoo or a border terrier but the prices are a bit prohibitive thought it might help him a bit to have a companion dog. Going to give it a bit of thought and discuss it with family before I decide. 
I am dreading losing him, he has helped me thru the last year with its lockdowns etc don’t know how I would have coped without my last beautiful boy.