Dogs and other family pets

So sorry to hear that Kai is still not well.  These situations are never easy. It's a case of see how it goes and act accordingly. Acquiring another dog is a bit of a minefield, too.  Like cats, they don't always get on!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Sorry to hear about your lad SG, I’m sure it’s a worry for you to be told he has a heart murmur, however years ago the vet told us our little Jack had a murmur (he wasn’t put on any medication though) but then a long time afterwards a different vet couldn’t hear or see a problem.  We assumed he was just stressed at the time.  

The price of puppies has gone sky-high during lockdown, they’re a luxury item these days!   I don’t think we’ll have another dog, I’ve decided we’re too old ........ or will be in a dozen years time when a dog would still need exercising.  In any case, we always said we would travel when Jack had gone to heaven, fat chance of that at the moment though.  

Hopefully whatever ails Kai will pass and he still has some good years left SG.

All four dogs I've owned had, according to the vet, a heart murmur yet managed to chase a ball with the best of them.

I really don't have a lot of confidence in vets although I have to admit they can judge the size of the bill so it's just short of breaking the bank.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hi SG.  Just hoping Kai is doing better.  Haven't been able to respond due to site upgrade issues.

There have been some problems with some kind of dry dog food over here.  Not sure which brand.  Something to do with mold harming dogs.  Not saying that's your problem but you might want to check it out.

SG. That is such sad news.  You must be feeling lost without him being around.   Thinking of you x

So sorry to read your post SG. My heart goes out to you. I know how it felt when we lost our Standard Yorkie of 19 years old. It's like losing a limb. Don't know what to say to ease your pain, so will just say I'll be thinking of you.x

• Like 1

Oh no SG, I’m so very sorry to hear your news, that’s terrible for you. My heart goes out to you, I know just how you’re feeling right now having lost our little lad only a few months ago.  He’s got no discomforts now and he’s flying high with his brother, they’ve both had a wonderful life thanks to your love for them.  Take care and know that this little Nottstalgia community are very supportive especially during our sad times. 

Thank you all for your kind words it is much appreciated. The house is so quiet this morning without my boy. 

I know just how you feel, SG, having lost one of my dogs a year and a half ago.

Things will get better and you have all the happy memories of your two boys to keep you inspired and remember better times.

Nice to see Tony Robinson on Breakfast TV this morning with his lovely rescue dog. The dog was in a bad state when he took it on but the mutual rewards were there to be seen. As he says - rescue rather than buy. The pandemic has left a lot of dogs uncared for or abandoned, so if you are considering a dog there is no better time....... wuff!

• Like 1

SG - I really feel for you. Us that really care about dogs will be sharing that familiar emptiness. It will subside but we never forget any of our lovely dogs.

Pity I did not read your, or any any resulting posts, before my last one about rescue dogs.

SG No words of comfort can replace your feelings about Kai. I'm so sorry, its brought a lump to my throat as I know how you feel. He knew you loved him and I'm sure he understood when you spoke to him about taking his medicine. When we have dogs or cats for that matter we enjoy their company, worry when they're not well, happy when they are romping around but we never seem to think about what the future holds for them. We enjoy them for what and who they are and they bring us so much pleasure. You are fortunate enough to have such beautiful memories of both your dogs and I'm sure you will remember them for a long time to come. Take care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After many tears and much heartache I decided to have a look at puppies on the internet. Although my two beautiful boys can never be replaced I would like another companion to be with me. I was looking for something a bit smaller than my 2 boys, possibly Beagle to Labrador size, but a crossbreed of some sort and only 1 this time.

I was flabbergasted at the prices, mostly between £2000 to £3000, some even more than that. I know that demand had gone through the roof since the first lockdown but it was a bit of a shock. Rang about a couple of litters, some only had 1 puppy left so didn’t pursue them, want to have a choice. Others had 2 or 3 puppies left but after speaking to them and wanting to have a think about it I got txt saying the puppies had gone a little while later. From what I can gather people are viewing the puppies online and then picking them without actually seeing them in the “flesh” so to speak. I don’t like that idea, I would want to physically see the puppies and how they interact with each other and me which is probably a bit awkward at the moment with lockdown etc.

So it looks like I will have to wait for a while before taking the plunge and just hope the prices don’t go up any more. 

• Like 1

It's early days yet SG., don't jump in too soon without investigating all your options. It's not a replacement you're after, but another companion. Good luck with your choice and I've no doubt he/she will be spoiled rotten.

• Like 4