Dogs and other family pets

I’m already excited for you StavGirl, you’ll be so busy once he arrives.

I also envy you getting a pup, we’re finding it difficult not having a dog in the house, having always had at least one dog in residence.  However, we always said that when Jack died we were going to travel ...... can’t do that yet though can we?!  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Why do some people treat animals so badly?   I just can’t understand how their minds work.  I hope those poor little puppies will find loving homes where they can thrive and learn that not all people are unkind.

Because dogs have become so expensive to buy, there have been several cases round here of dog thefts.  People in all our surrounding villages have been warned not to let children take their dogs for a walk, and even adults advised to be vigilant when walking their dogs in the fields and little pathways. 

@ube. Question for you. Julie asks,  do you know a boater named Chris  N Deucher? He is moored at Trent Lock. He is the author of a very useful instruction book called A Boater's Guide to Boating.

A sad thing to post but we've been warned about dogs being poisoned especially in our little hamlet. Poisoned meat is being thrown over walls or gates. This is probably a warning that burglars are intending to be around. We live in a sparsely populated area and when one house gets burgled others follow. Many of the residents are farmers or have land to care for and have big dogs outside in their courtyards so when they are away the animals aren't being protected and the thieves are left to their own devices. We only have 2 immediate neighbours and 2 a short distance away. We have good neighbours and they always look out for suspicious characters.

1 hour ago, katyjay said:

@ube. Question for you. Julie asks,  do you know a boater named Chris  N Deucher? He is moored at Trent Lock. He is the author of a very useful instruction book called A Boater's Guide to Boating.

There’s a Chris Deuchar on the Carlton Le Willows Grammar School FB page, I think it’s likely to be the same person.  

Lizzie, Chris Deuchar is the son of my favourite teacher whilst at CleWs.  He changed his surname.  I had a few chats with him on Messenger about a year ago.

Lizzie, I didn't know he was into boating.  We just talked about his dad and how I visited him with Paul and our children in the early 1980s.

Was he in your year?

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Lizzie, Chris Deuchar is the son of my favourite teacher whilst at CleWs.  He changed his surname.  I had a few chats with him on Messenger about a year ago.

See Chris most mornings... His moorings are opposite "The Steamboat Inn" at Trent Lock. 

Him and his wife Jan live on two historic working narrowboats.... Carlton le willows eh.... Did you know a history teacher there a Mr Wells? 

@ube In my time, the History teachers were Harry Makins  and Sidney Wood.  I was there from 1954 - 1960.  My friend married the latter!  

I'll send you a pm...

@MargieHI’m just guessing it could be the same person.

@ube I don’t think a Mr Wells was teaching at the Grammar School in my days there, 1961-66.  He may have taught at the Tech School next door or after I’d left.  

15 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I'm not on Facebook myself, but I do think some on here would be more suited to Facebook & are definitely missing out by not posting their insane monotonous repetitive banter on there? 

You mean like those who post inane comments about  quoted posts?.    :tease:

• Like 3

I'm on Facebook.  As with any other online medium.. it is what you make it.  I use it for accessing a few local community blogs etc, and for keeping in touch with a few people, including those on the Nottstalgia Facebook page.

22 minutes ago, radfordred said:

repetitive banter on there? 

Is the question mark at the end intended to convey an Aussie style raised inflection or 'uptalk'?

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28708526

Or did you just mean to use an exclamation mark?

I know a lot of Facebook posts are a bit silly - at least to me, but there are a few Nottingham groups which I suspect many of you would find very interesting.  I know quite a few Nottstalgians belong to some of these groups already.

I also belong to a few groups which are local to me and they are very useful/informative.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, MargieH said:

Why do some people treat animals so badly?

There seems to be a massive rise in dog theft everywhere.  It is no doubt the criminal's response to the huge increase in walking as a pastime, along with the fact that some people seem to think that dragging a dog around with them is a necessary part of walking, so that demand for dogs is very high.  Add in the fact that people being at home is drastically reducing opportunities for burglary, so the crooks are looking elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Good article on ''Up-talk'' you mentioned Col...........like so many things in todays world it drives me mad......

Even so called intellectuals on News programmes use it......my Grandson whos in the Army has caught it.......so has one of my sons who is 50 this year..but he lives in Australia so i forgive him...........i find as i get older more trivial things wind me up.........so best shut up ??..........lol

• Like 1

I'm afraid i don't understand a lot of this terminology regarding Facebook or whatever, where folks send clips etc.

What's a 'blog or 'vlog and all the other phrases that are used. Still waiting for some kind soul to clarify "roadmap" out of lockdown.

I used to be on FB years ago but got fed up with it. But I've recently rejoined and I've found this time that it's been more enjoyable and I hardly post anything but there are so many new things on to watch, some interesting, some ridiculously stupid. As the saying goes on here "you don't have to read it" I've found quite a few old friends and school friends , next door neighbours and even got back in touch with my penfriend from school days in 1955. So it's not all stupid and innane comments.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has:

Pulled the garden hose all round the garden, into the kitchen, pulled the spout off it and broken the connection that fits it onto the tap.

Massacred my pot plants, pulled some up and did like running round the garden with a heather plus plant pot in his mouth. They are now relegated to between the conservatory and the fence to keep them (and him) safe.
Explored the small conservatory, best part is running behind the horizontal blinds so that they bang against the window. 
Got behind the settee even though I thought I had blocked it off. Not managed to get behind the tv yet but not for lack of trying.
Turned my kitchen/front room into a toy shop and race track.

Found everything in the garden that I missed when sweeping up. 
Gets up at 6 in the morning, has his breakfast and half an hour play and then retires for a nap. 
Thinks his name is Jj NOOOOO. 
I am tired, have puppy spit in my hair, the house looks like a bomb has hit it and it is sooooo wonderful:wub:

• Like 9

SG, threaten to set your giant spider on him. That might calm him down, if he thinks he's  being outnumbered.

Sounds wonderful SG, I’m so happy for you!  
I now realise ...... yet ....... why we haven’t got ourselves another dog.

Enjoy your new companion, you’ll tame him soon as I know you’re an experienced dog-owner.