Dogs and other family pets

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Horace/Doris the hedgehog can certainly eat!  This week, he/she is on Pedigree Chum and meal worms. I dish up a sizeable portion. There's never anything left. The water pot seems to serve as drinking fountain/bath/loo. Left me a turd as a tip yesterday. Nice to know my efforts are appreciated!

• Like 1

Welcome to the new dog puppy club S G . Yes your house will be upside down and you'll lose a few plants and maybe he'll nibble at the furniture corners. But he'll be loved and he will settle down and be the best companion. He'll probably eat your giant spider too. Enjoy him because he'll make you tired.

A dog is not bothered who you are

A dog is not bothered what you wear

A dog is not bothered what car you drive

A dog is not bothered who your friends are

All a dog bothers about is that you are there.

• Like 5

A cat is not bothered who you are, so long as you're a cat person.

A cat is not bothered what you wear, so long as they can knead it and pull the threads!

A cat is not bothered what car you drive, as long as you don't take them to the V E T in it!

A cat IS bothered who your friends are...and they'd better like cats and bring treats!

All a cat bothers about is that you are their servant!! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

This morning I was up at 7 (bit of a lie in there it has been 6 to half past past few days), sorted breakfast whilst playing with a crinkly rabbit, practised our sit (successfully) and stay (not quite so successfully), filled up bird table and did a bit of tidying up. Then the important part of the morning, an hours play with a squeaky ball, bringing it back getting better, drop it not so good but we are persevering. Bit of a time out in the cage after some hand nipping, not malicious just teething. Hate doing it but he has to learn what not to do.

Bit more playing with squeaky ball, couple of little biscuits for sitting down when asked.

Now flaked out in his bed and I am considering a morning nap to recharge ready for this afternoon. 
I have ordered a puppy playpen for the garden to keep him away from potted plants, stones and bird poo (which he seems especially fond of). I don’t want him to get into the habit of picking things up, especially stones and I am sure the bird poo won’t do him any good. Has anyone else used one  at all? I will be there whilst he is in the garden but want to make sure he is safe in case I have to nip inside for any reason.

• Like 2

Started to take the 2 youngest dogs out this morning and was confronted by 4 cats. The dogs wanted to chase them but the cats held their ground and sent the dogs into hysteria. My husband feeds the cats and leaves the crochette just outside the gate. A habit that is stronger than him. Stray cats worry him . Next door used to feed them when there were 9 of them and producing offspring. We paid for half of them to be sterilised and they paid the other half but now they come to us to be fed and they are always outside our gate. When we let all 4 dogs out to run round they bark constantly at the gate. I tell my husband to stop feeding them and theyll go elsewhere .Its a battle between us. I don't hate cats btw but this is getting too much. They arent our responsibility.

• Like 1

@nonnaB

You give your hubby a big hug from me and thank him for feeding those cats! No, they aren't your responsibility but they are hungry and need food.

Horace/Doris the hedgehog continues to scoff everything I put out and you wouldn't believe the state of the dishes every morning! It's worth it to know I'm honoured to have one living in my garden.

Jill it seems that I came over a bit cruel by not wanting to feed these strays. We have to consider the health of our dogs ( mentally and physically). My husband won't stop feeding these cats all I ask him is to feed them elsewhere instead of right outside our gate. The wall has a ledge where he sometimes puts the food or he spreads it out at the front of my daughters house in front of two cars.

We live way out in the country with plenty of wild life around, foxes, wild boars, deer and all the usual birds, hedgehogs etc. This food if left alone only encourages rats and mice. We have fields opposite where the local farmer grazes his cows and the occasional flock of sheep. The food can be thrown there on the edge of the field, it can be left where there are no houses. I am intelligent enough to realise the cats are hungry but dont want them eating or scavaging outside my house.

I accept your feelings about this but I too have very strong feelings about it.

• Like 1

I’m with Nonna on this subject.  Our little Jack hated cats and would sit looking out of the window waiting for a neighbourhood cat to come into the garden. He would bark and jump up us until we opened the door to let him into the garden to chase them off, he never caught up with the cats though, they could hear him getting excited before the door was open.  
Anyway, now Jack is no longer, our garden is a magnet for all the local felines, marauding through the borders or patiently waiting by the bird feeders.  A new neighbour has moved in recently too, with a cat.  
I don’t hate cats but I think we’re either dog people or cat people. Over the past 46 years we’ve had 4 dogs and 1 cat.

• Like 1

Problem is from the drive coming out towards the road we cant see the cats hanging round the gates, consequently as soon as they are opened the dogs see them. One of the dogs a while ago slipped out of her collar so Im worried it will happen again when shes so excited. We dont have a busy road but theres always tractors running up and down but sometimes the "late for work" buddy comes whizzing down and we have to literally jump out of the way. Not easy with dogs that are small and dont like cars.

I think it’s a Jack Russell thing Lizzy mine used sit for hours in wait @ at the back door, he did rag doll a few, he was just protecting the dickiebods.

Chilli powder sprinkled around the peripheral keeps em out. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Chilli powder sprinkled around the peripheral keeps em out. 

As we’re on a corner we’d need about 20 kg of chilli powder but thanks for the idea!

May work for the cats but dogs are nosey and love to sniff everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Today is the second day Jj can go for a walk. Yesterday we took him in the car (we have been taking him for a ride every day for the past couple of weeks so he is an old hand at it now) and went to local dog park. Wasn’t sure how he would react, bit like throwing him in at the deep end although it was early evening so it wasn’t as packed as it can get. I had been walking him round the garden on his lead to try and get him used to it, he wasn’t really impressed!
We got him out the car and he was a bit hesitant but we managed to get him out the car park and onto the grass. He gradually got more confident and had a good time sniffing round, trying to eat dandelions and picking up pieces of wood, “drop” is a work in progress depending on what he has picked up and how much he thinks it is “his”. Came back home and he had his dinner and flaked out for a good nap.
This morning I got a lie in, 7 instead of 6, which was nice. Got up had a quick drink and then took him round the block. Managed to keep him on one side of me instead of him meandering all over the place, not easy as he is quite determined. We had to stop and watch cars and buses go past, he’s not so sure about big lorries yet. Bit of a wobble when a big dog was barking as we went past (quite quickly), but he is only 12 weeks old after all. 
We came back, he had his breakfast and we got cleaned up, he will now stay in the same room as the hoover, kept away from the steam cleaner and attacked the mop. Took him upstairs for the first time and he found the full length mirror and was horrified there was another dog in his house. Then we went outside and played with his ball, he had some of his dinner and is now crashed out having a nap. 
It isn’t easy being a puppy you know.

• Like 6

One of my dogs when on a walk will stop dead if she sees anyone else on the road. Whether its following her or she can see forward its the same. She sits down and watches them till theyve passed. Continuing our walk is funny because now and again she gives a slight pause and looks behind her to see if theres someone coming. Cars, tractors, lorries all get the disgusted look after all its her road or at least she thinks it is. Best of all its not a busy road just a normal country road with keepfit walkers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My neighbour has replied to a request to stop her dog incessantly barking with "Yo can shut yer mouth", charming from someone who must be my age or a tad older..

Her last dog was the same yet we said nothing. It eventually died and we had a year of peace until about six months ago. She now has a new pup that does exactly the same, helped I might add by her use of a child's water pistol.

My question to the panel,  does anyone know if ultrasonic anti-bark devices actually work?

The next stage I suppose is reporting her for anti-social behaviour...