Dogs and other family pets

Jill, Henry loves Gourmet Chicken catfood. We mixed it with a bit of water. My daughter was lying on the grass and tipping the little plate up for him while he was in the border. She was like “I’ve never fed a hedgehog before” ! Three nights on the trot now. Always the same time as the pipistrelle bats come out. Must be the time for nocturnals to emerge.

Thanks for your help. Mrs B

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Hopefully Jill, how are yours doing? Mrs B

My dog toffee hates thunder , and i am in bed at 2 in the morning and i can hear her crying and scratching at the door , soon i shall have to give her a key to the door , instead of me bleary eyed getting out of bed to let her in !!

David there is a cd that you can get with all types of noise's on eg thunder, gun being fired, car'szoom zooming and lots of other noise,s on. You start the sound very ;ow and once your dog get's use to it you turn up the volume. You can go as loud as you want, but don't forget main things on your dog are it's nose and ears' They can smell 10 more than we do, ans same for the ears. 

ps I am not sure it 10 is correct but thisjust gives example.

• Like 1

Jill, this is the 7th night that our Henry the hedgehog has turned up for his food. So privileged and the cats are avoiding him so that’s good. Yet to find where he is emerging from but am getting a hedgehog house next week which we can site (apparently not facing north or northeast) and hope he will use it over the winter.

• Like 1

Excellent news! You're clearly doing something Henry/Henrietta likes and I suspect it's food related!  I'm a bit ambivalent where bespoke hedgehog houses are concerned. To us, they look like a hedgehog house. To them...they smell peculiar, look like they could be a trap and have a habit of attracting Mr and Mrs Roland Rat.  A friend made a very elaborate hedgehog house behind his garage some years ago when a neighbour found two baby hogs wandering up the road in July. They were clearly cold and in danger of not surviving. Richard looked after them, fed them, mucked them out and kept them warm until they had gained the required weight by autumn, when he built them a house for the winter. They toddled off the following spring but the house eventually had to be dismantled as it was being utilized by rats and they can be very harmful to hogs.  Richard lives in a very rural setting and rats are common on farms but they are very adept at turning up anywhere and don't really need encouragement, although they're only trying to make a living, as are we!

Hogs are peripatetic when it comes to their nests, if you can term the jumbled mess of leaves a nest! They move several times during winter.  Whether you invest in a house is up to you but giving Henry/Henrietta all the materials needed to build a nest is really all you need to do as it is their instinct to do that.

Yesterday I received a phone call from my niece who has a dog grooming business and where I take my chihuahuas. Apparently she had a customer through many problems cannot keep her chihuahua and she asked me if I wanted to adopt her . I hesitated before answering her when common sense kicked in. We already have 4 dogs including my daughters dog we have when she’s working. We have plenty of room for them to run around but I had to say no and it was with regret. This lady will not let the dog go to anyone so Fabiana is vetting those people she knows well and first of all she thought of me. The dog is only 2 yrs old. I keep thinking “ have I done the right thing” I only hope the dog can find a loving family.

Jill, thanks for that very useful info.  Think we’ll give the bespoke house a miss then as we don’t want Roland and his missus setting up home.

I tried to upload a photo but the site won’t allow it as the file is too big.

There's a title of a song there..."I'm only a poor little Sparrow, with feathers all stubby and brown".

Talking of visiting pets, I've just photographed the biggest Bumble bee I have ever seen. Thought about putting a plate of cat food out for him...

20220731-120827.jpg

• Like 1

And we need flies - but not in the house - plus all the little insects (and spiders) I believe there’s a reason for their existence and I do try not to harm any of them.  I suppose the problem is that some do encroach on ‘our’  places…. but there again, we’ve encroached on their places as well!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, mary1947 said:

David there is a cd that you can get with all types of noise's on eg thunder, gun being fired, car'szoom zooming and lots of other noise,s on. You start the sound very ;ow and once your dog get's use to it you turn up the volume. You can go as loud as you want, but don't forget main things on your dog are it's nose and ears' They can smell 10 more than we do, ans same for the ears. 

ps I am not sure it 10 is correct but thisjust gives example.

Thank you Mary , my other little dog Snowy boy is unfazed by the noise , i think my toffee has sensitive ears.

• Like 1

Strange about wasps , we’ve had quite a few in the house and we’ve never had them apart from if I was making jam. Ants too , we usually have a lot of all sizes but this year I think all their relations have been invited and they are tunneling under the door step . Before long I expect the house to collapse:rotfl:( fingers crossed)

Nonna just put a line of talcum powder down. It forms a barrier and deters them. They breathe through their skin and talc would clog them up. We just sprinkle the powder where we see them, then they clear off.

Great bee pic Beekay. So…. How did you upload it to site? I took the hog pic on my iPad and it’s now sitting in my photos on there