Anybody know where is the scene shown in this postcard?

KneetonHillHoveringham022_zpsa141012a.jp

Does anyone know the current exact location of the scene shown on this postcard - and in particular the address of the cottage in the picture?

The postcard says it is of Kneeton Hill, Hoveringham. Hoveringham is on the north bank of the Trent and flat - whereas Kneeton is on the south bank at the top of the escarpment opposite Hoveringham and above where the old ferry used to cross. Is this picture of the lane that ran from the river to Kneeton?

Any help in pinpointing this location would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tim

• Upvote 1

One old newspaper reference ......" in the Trent at Hoveringham Weir below Kneeton Hills"

My guess...and I mean guess. With Hoveringham being mentioned I would imagine the cottage is near the river on the Kneeton side.On a narrow road leading from the ford and the ferry,on a hill,surrounded by woods.

The only cottage marked in the late 1800s (the ladies clothes) that fits with the above is the one marked here...

v62b6q.jpg

• Upvote 1

I do have this feeling that I could take a needle, and throw it into anywhere in Nottinghamshire, and photograph the needle, Cliff Ton and many others of equal expertise would identify the needle, the field, the photographs of the field in each decade going back at least 100 years, tell me who owned the field and report me to the police for littering.

I have a total respect for this degree of insight and expertise.

• Upvote 6

So there's a Downton connection .

Back in the 1890s Lord Carnarvon owned Highclere (location of the TV series) and the manor at Kneeton.

Wonder why the cottage was called "Scout Cottage" ?

My guess...and I mean guess. With Hoveringham being mentioned I would imagine the cottage is near the river on the Kneeton side.On a narrow road leading from the ford and the ferry,on a hill,surrounded by woods.

The only cottage marked in the late 1800s (the ladies clothes) that fits with the above is the one marked here...

v62b6q.jpg

One of my favorite fishing spots just at the back of that cottage position, where the ford used to be across to the island, some huge chub was caught there on a lovely summers evening after work.

The water was only maybe 2ft deep in places but boy there was some good fish there. We used to trot a small float down with the current with a nice worm or wasp grub and when they hit it was like an express train as they tried to get to the deeper channnels to escape.

More memories !

• Upvote 2

Hard to know if the word scout actually refers to boy scouts...but the picture of the cottage actually shows a garden full of figures. Some of whom could be wearing scouts uniform complete with hat and bandana.

1z345rn.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've been up and down that path to the river quite a few times in the past. I've lived about four miles away for over thirty years. I was fairly certain of the cottage's position when I first saw the postcard and guessed it must have been long gone. This afternoon I wendled by again and took a few photos, you can see where the space is still fairly open, it's the only place it would have been, near to the bottom. The path is highly banked on both sides for the rest of the way up to the top. And very steep too! The only bit I could see that might be part of the cottage was the step by the side of the path, which would have been about where the gate entrance would have been. It's just by the white object, my bike helmet.

DSCF5132.jpg

DSCF5130.jpg

DSCF5134.jpg

• Upvote 9

It looks like one of those victorian fairy photos.

Very similar...those fairy pictures that fooled Conan Doyle were badly exposed too :biggrin:

It's an interesting area...and there's no doubt that the trackways and fords in that area were well used by the Romans many years before, to and from their fort and settlement on the Fosse.

I see in TBIs photos that the old wood is long gone. There were some mature pines in the wood at the time of that cottage photo and the old map.Nothing more than about 50 years old now.

THE SCOUT CAMP

. The Scout Camp, July 25-August 2, was spent at Lady Carnarvon's Scout Cottage, Kneeton, Nottingham, situated in a pleasant spot near the Trent. Two officers and twentytwo scouts formed a fairly satisfactory number to attend camp, and the week was, on the whole, a great success.

That was 1916

• Upvote 2

What brilliant responses to such a simple question!

This forum has huge breadth and depth of knowledge through the generosity of its members.

Fab!

• Upvote 1

THE SCOUT CAMP

. The Scout Camp, July 25-August 2, was spent at Lady CarnarI didvon's Scout Cottage, Kneeton, Nottingham, situated in a pleasant spot near the Trent. Two officers and twentytwo scouts formed a fairly satisfactory number to attend camp, and the week was, on the whole, a great success.

That was 1916

So it's latter use as a sort of scout base points to the name Scout Cottage. I wonder where the Lady Carnarvon bit came from.

Apparently around late 19th century, the Earl of Carnarvon's son was the MP for Nottingham. He married a Lady Cowper who I suppose might then be styled Lady Carnarvon. Don't know if there's any connection though.

Lord Carnarvon owned Kneeton Manor as well as Highclere in Hampshire (where Downton is filmed). Lady Carnarvon became the beneficiary after he died .

I have been following this topic because I have ancestry in both Kneeton and Flintham. There are quite a few Harvey graves in Kneeton and more in Flintham churchyards. There are quite a few Neil graves in Kneeton. According to locals I spoke to the Neils were local councilors and land owners way back. There is an area close to Kneeton known locally as Harvey's Fields though you wont find it on a map.