Birth Certificate ordering

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

Yes thanks I found that one. He must have remarried. Elizabeth Harvey must have died young when my Great grandmother Mary was only 6 months old. Problably explains a lot as to why she ended up dahnt Medders when her Dad Edward was living relatively well off at Hucknall. She might well have not got on with her new Mother!

Next job is to find Mary Harvey's death record. I have already ordered two death certificates and got it wrong both times. Also I don't know if she ever married after 1911 - somehow I think not

Any idea roughly when she might have died? Is she a witness on any of her children's marriage certs for example? She might be mentioned in her fathers will in 1917 if still alive, and if so, should give her address at the time, if you don't already know it. Now you know her siblings married names from the will. perhps you could trace their descendants, if any - they might know more?

I haven't a clue when she died. As her mother died when she was only 6 months old, her siblings are only half siblings! (does that sound right?). Mary was the oldest child. In 1881 she was still at Kneeton, address unknown, 1891 I can't find her, 1901 she was at 21 Queens Grove, Medders and 1911, 9 Blackstone Street Medders having given birth to 8 kids and up to this point not married. I don't have any of her offsprings marriage certificates yet, the obvious one I should get is my Grandfathers. That was Edward Harvey (named after his Grandfather) born 1894. I have his birth cert. - no known Father. At least two of his brothers never married and they both shared the same house on Melbourne Road, I don't know what number but it would be a high number (Aspley Lane end). It would be nice to think that that was Mary's house and that is where she died and then the house continued to be lived in by these two sons. I could just be dreaming!!

Yes that is my Grandmother. My Father being Rex. That is how I know about the two brothers of my Grandfather Edward that lived at the other end of Melbourne Road. One of those was William, I don't remember the name of the other one but possibly John. I have spent plenty of hours at 25 Melbourne as that house was turned over to my Father's sister Edna in 1944. She remained there until the mid 70's when she moved to Bulwell.

I reckon Family History should be renamed Family Mystery, because as soon as you figure out one mystery, 10 more takes its place. Happened a lot in Chulla and my family's tree. We went merrily along going back to around 1776, then hit a brick wall the size of The Great Wall of China.

• Upvote 1

One thing just leads to another. It'll end up costing me a small fortune in birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates........ etc

• Upvote 1

My Mothers fathers surname is extremely uncommon, in fact I would be quite confident that there is only one family of them in the country - Definitely only one family of them in Nottingham. But I still get a brick wall pre 1880's. Having said that I haven't been trying too hard with my mothers family yet as it is quite easy and a lot is already well known.

There's a Probate Index entry for an Edward Harvey who died 5/11/17. Address 98 Derbyshire Lane Hucknall, who died at Nottingham. Probate granted to Sarah Jane Wheatley, wife of Richard Wheatley, Louisa Sabin, wife of James Sabin and Edith Annie Willatt, wife of William Willatt. Seems likely, going by the names of his daughters in the census.

Edward Harvey 2 x Great Grandfathers death cert arrived this morning. It seems your information was correct but 97 Derbyshire Lane Hucknall.

Now to try and find out more about his daughter Mary, my Great Grandmother, It seems she was in jail at least once!

veyaur.jpg

Had seen the report about the prison sentence but assumed that was what David had sent you a pm about.

I'd get Edward's will, if I were you - Mary (and an address and surname if she had married 1911-17) might be mentioned. Probate Index definitely says no 98, so give that if you order it. You can order online now

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=harvey&yearOfDeath=1917&page=2#calendar

Thanks I will do that. How do I find the date of probate and the folio number?

He didn't exactly die a pauper did he with £270 in the bank in 1917. Probably owned the house on Derbyshire Lane too.

Yes, quite well off for the time.

The date of probate is on the link I sent you. Have only ever ordered wills before they were available to order online and have never given a folio no - don't think you'll have to give it ( wouldn't know what it is, anyway!).

You should also get the addresses for the daughters to whom Probate was granted from the Will, which might help if you want to trace them forward.

Thanks. Found the probate date after I had zoomed on it. Its currently in my basket. I shall deal with paying for it later. I shall let you know what I find when I get it.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned previously I have ordered by 2 x great grandfathers will. I am not supposed to be getting it until tomorrow at the earliest, but I went on the website and I find I have a download available. There is a button 'Download Grant and Will'. I seem to have downloaded a Grant, but not the Will (As they are highlighted separately). Are a Grant and a Will two different things? What I have downloaded 'appears' to be a will. I will post it on this thread soon.

Here's how they explain on the website you ordered the Will from

Find a will or ‘grant of representation’ for people who died in or after 1858.

A ‘grant of representation’ gives someone the legal right to deal with a deceased person’s estate. This right is called ‘probate’.

I suppose when you post it on here, it will become clear!

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I will post it here as there are names on it that others people on this forum may know. I will need to scan it and re-save it as .jpg first.

However, everything in it is left to who he refers to as 'his FOUR children'. My great grandmother Mary Harvey was his eldest child and if he had included her in his will he would have been referring to his FIVE children! It confirms my earlier suspicions from having learnt that she gave birth to her first child in 1888 without a father and subsequently 7 more, her father had disowned her! Further confirmation of that to my mind is the fact that he was living on what was pretty well is own farm at Hucknall but his eldest daughter Mary was living in distinct poverty dahnt Medders! The actual will doesn't appear dated but there is a codicil dated 1905. I have Mary Harvey up to 1911.

I think the next thing will be to get my Fathers parents marriage certificate to see if she is a witness at their wedding in 1919.

I think when I do find out what happened to Mary Harvey after 1911 I shall be finding something sensational.

• Upvote 1

At the time he wrote the original will the other four children were still alive. His son George and son in law Mr Hodgkinson had died, hence the 1905 codicil.