Birth Certificate ordering

I wish to order a birth certificate for my Great Grandmother but I find a mistake or two and I am not certain which way to go so I thought I would ask here for suggestions fromv those of you who have done this before.

The person is Mary Harvey who, from all the information I have on Censuses (4 in total) she was born at Flintham in 1864. But, on a search of births, Mary Harvey born 1864 comes up with no specific place of birth but Registration District of Southwell. (Vol. 7b page 295). The registration district for Flintham at that time appears to be Bingham. I have found another Mary Harvey born at Flintham registration district Bingham but in 1863. (Vol 7b page 313). Which is it most likely to be? A registration district mistake or change of district, or year of birth, bearing in mind I have four censuses that say she was born 1864.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

I've used the FreeBMD site before, don't know if that's where you're looking too. Checking on BDM site I see the two entries you mention. Do you know your great grandmothers mothers maiden name? If so and you enter that, I think it should tell you the correct entry.

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden :laugh:

• Upvote 2

Ages on the census aren't necessarily reliable - a possible year out isn't much! I'd say go by the area, so the Bingham one. Do you know the approx years of birth for any of her siblings? If they say on the census that they were born in Flintham, you could check FreeBMD for the Registration district for them. Bear in mind, though, that at that time it wasn't compulsory to register a birth. Her name is very common, so it might be a different person entirely!

There's this baptism of a Mary Harvey in 1864 in Sutton on Trent, which is Southwell Reg District, so the 1864 birth COULD be her

Mary Last name Harvey Birth year - Baptism year 1864 Baptism date 03 Jul 1864 Denomination Anglican Church All Saints Baptism place Sutton On Trent Father's first name(s) Thomas Father's last name Harvey Mother's first name(s) Ann Mother's last name Harvey

Thanks. I have info from censuses for her siblings.

Your Sutton on Trent one can't be the one as her fathers name was Edward, mind you her Mothers name was Ann! It doesn't help when just about everyone in the family seems to be named Edward, George, William or Mary! Even I got stuck with Edward in the middle.

Just checked BMD for her siblings. They were all born at Kneeton but correctly that states registration district of Bingham. The dates of their births on the censuses are all a year out according to FreeBMD!

There is a John Harvey buried in Flintham Churchyard died 1909? He kept the Red Lodge Coaching House on the A46 at Scriveton. (now an antique centre) I believe he is a relative off to one side.

I have got her fathers death as 1917. He ended his days as the Farm Bailiff at Shortwood Farm, Hucknall. I don't have his death cert.yet but that info. seems quite definite.

There's a Probate Index entry for an Edward Harvey who died 5/11/17. Address 98 Derbyshire Lane Hucknall, who died at Nottingham. Probate granted to Sarah Jane Wheatley, wife of Richard Wheatley, Louisa Sabin, wife of James Sabin and Edith Annie Willatt, wife of William Willatt. Seems likely, going by the names of his daughters in the census.

Thanks. I certainly have a Louisa. Edith was a young widow in 1911 so she must have re-married. One thing leads to another - now I shall need to know who the Wheatley's were. David Wheatley is listed as a servant in 1911. It must be the same family of Wheatleys.

#15. Yes I did mean 1863. I'm hissed on Cappuccino!

#16. Yes it can be interesting. The skeletons in the closet are the best bits!! I've certainly found out why my dad never talked about his family's past!

Pianoman, If you come across a Robert Harvey of Holme near Newark (abt 1765) being related let me know. I have a court case details involving him.

Right well Edward Harvey that has been mentioned above - my 2 times Great Grandfather was born Newark 1838. His father George Harvey was I believe also born Newark in 1806. Before that I know nothing. I am not prepared to start searching parish records for a while yet as there is plenty to do that is much easier. Your Robert Harvey might well be a relative of mine. Does it relate to you being Robbie?

The Pianoman,

There may be no connection with your ancestors but worth saving just in case and still is an interesting read.

'At Newark on 12 October 1731 Richard Shipman of Farndon, Taylor, was indicted for stealing halfe a guinea in gold, a pair of silver shirt buttons, a silver clasp, and a silver shoe buckle out of the house of Robert Harvey of Holme of the value of ten pence. The actual value of the goods stolen was stated by the Complainant to be 15s. and Shipman confessed that he sold them to a Mr Gascoigne of Newark for 1s.11d. Shipman was sentenced to be whipped at the cart's tail in Newark and then discharged on paying his fees.'

Name Gascoigne mentioned, I would imagine same family that became Estate Agents in Newark and Nottingham.

Don't forget that the 1881 census was taken in early April 1881 so the ages given were for the year ending April. eg if I was born in 1850 my age would be given as 30 in the 1881 census if my birthday was after 3rd April that year, or 31 if my birthday was Jan 1st to April 2nd 1850. And some women miraculously managed to age only 9 years between each 10 years census!

My Great Grandmothers (I think) birth certificate arrived this morning. One thing leads to another. It may be the right one but I have her mothers name as being Ann Harvey nee Bolton. Married to Edward 47 years come 1911. Mary's mother appears now to be Elizabeth Harvey nee Doughty. I suppose Edward could have re -married in 1864? Elizabeth Harvey obviously couldn't read or write either. Not uncommon in 1863 I don't suppose.

2w1t9o5.jpg

2v33haa.jpg

zuovlt.jpg