Birth Certificate ordering

Here are the scans of my 2x great grandfathers will. I have removed the excess. They are difficult to read but they should enlarge

30ldpc0.jpg

21ci3xy.jpg

1qmjdf.jpg

mbiln5.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

Well, I've read it half a dozen times now and missed that every time. I think members of the legal profession make these documents difficult to read deliberately so that you will pay them to read them to you. I guess I shall have to read it a few more times yet. I read it a few time before I had noticed that it was the original will was written 1905 and not the codicil. The codicil was written 1914.

Mary's mother, Elizabeth died 1864. Mary was 6 months old. Ann, mother to the rest, married Edward in 1865, I don't know when she died, probably before Edward. She was 6 or 7 years older than Edward but was still alive in 1911 aged 80. From the will I assume she died after 1914. Obviously she is not a blood relative of mine.

If that's her, then there's no Will, and, even if there were, she would have been more than likely to leave all to Edward. The codicil to his Will doesn't mention that she'd died, but then he'd made provision already in the will in the event of her death, so I don't suppose any further mention was needed.

Mary Harvey might have died on 16 Oct 1948. There's a notice in the Evening Post saying she was of 93 Melbourne Rd, but died at City Hospital. Funeral at Aspley Methodist Church on 21/10 and cremation at Wilford Hill "Resting after much weariness patiently borne". The family also put in notices in the "In Memoriam" section in both 1949 and 50. No family names given in any of the notices, just sons, daughters and grandchildren

Name: Mary Harvey Birth Date: abt 1864 Date of Registration: Dec 1948 Age at Death: 84 Registration district: Nottingham Inferred County: Nottinghamshire Volume: 3c Page: 224

Thanks for that and by jove I think you have got it! You may remember in an earlier post I mentioned that my father had two uncles (Mary 's offsprings) that lived in the same house on Melbourne Road that was a high number. (My father lived at No.25). I know which block of houses they lived in but not which number - it was one of the blocks of houses that are actually in the entrance drive to Melbourne Rec. I have just been looking at Streetview, zooming on peoples house numbers and it appears that no 93 is one of them. It looks to me that the house at 93 was Mary's and was taken over by her sons (Bill was one of them) when Mary died. That is what happened at No 25 when my fathers parents died and that house was taken over by my fathers eldest sister.

As there is free access on FindMyPast this weekend I shall dig around for the Post articles. I think it will be worth getting her death cert.

Yes, I remember you mentioning Melbourne Rd - that's why the article jumped out at me! It took some finding - just putting Mary Harvey in the search box and restricting hits to the Evening Post didn't bring it up. I've given you the date, though, so hopefully it should be easy to find.

Yes, I'd get the death cert, although as she died in hospital,the informant might be someone working there, rather than a relative. To confirm it's your Mary, you could check the Electoral Roll for the address for 1948 or later to see if that was definitely where the 2 uncles were living.

I can only find the 1950 memorium entry in the NEP but will keep looking. It does say she died 16.10.1948 and pretty confident that it is the correct one.

Just sent for my grandparents (Edward Harvey/Florence Rose Cooper) marriage certificate following your suggestion that that might show if Mary was a witness at Edwards wedding. I doubt that Mary's address will be on that though. Melbourne Road wasn't built in 1919!

I suppose the suggestion that she might have appeared as a witness on a marriage cert was before finding the possibility of her death so many years later, and still under her maiden name.

Electoral Rolls for the Melbourne Rd address is your best bet. Are you still in Nottm? If so, you should be able to go to the Local Studies Library to look at them.

I am out of the city but still in Notts. Will the Local Studies Library be within the City Library on Angel Row or would my local library in Eastwood have it?

A must is to simply take a drive along Melbourne Road (which I haven't done for many years) and just see if No. 93 is the house I think it is.

Well just been for a wander around Melbourne Road being as it is a half decent day. No 93 is exactly what and where my father described it. Looks as though it is currently lived in by someone elderly now. I think that the death notice in the NEP is the correct one.

• Upvote 1

Yes I shall get the death cert. soon. I shall wait 'til I have the marriage cert. that I have already ordered first

No. My parents moved out of the city just before my 3rd birthday. I would never make a city dweller now! (I don't think)