Birth Certificate ordering

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

I have now had a reply from the above mentioned site. As one or two people are following this thread I have put it here:

Hi Malcolm,

What a great bit of detective work and I think you are right. Very well done. The Cumberpatchs of Nottingham sprung out of Northamptonshire and at this date there aren’t so many of them. William Jeyes Cumberpatch was indeed born in Northamptonshire in 1865 and he was a platelayer in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. I think you are right about his death in 1926, so I will add this and update the tree. There were Cumberpatch relatives (3rd cousins) living at Queens Place, Nottingham around this time, but this place no longer exists. I assume that it would be near Queens Grove, Nottingham.

As for the death certificate for Mary, much depends on who registered her death as to whether they knew William or the family circumstances. Perhaps they tried to legitimise the family. As for the marriage, again I think that you are right – this does seem to be an attempt to make the daughter appear legitimate. I shouldn’t speculate but it could be that the family lived together and that William Jeyes Cumberpatch was father to all but that they never got around to be married.

Please could I trouble you for a copy of the death certificate for Mary Harvey and the marriage certificate of Mary’s son, your grandfather? I’d love to add this Harvey family to the tree so that I have a record of it.

Thanks you very much for your email, Bob

William Jeyes Cumberbatch , Platelayer, of 3 Colsterworth Terrace, Glebe St, Nottm, died suddenly Fri 30 July 1926. Returned home from work, apparently in pain, went to bed and was later found unconscious. Medical opinion was that he died of an aneurism of the abdominal aorta (Nottm Evening Post, Mon 2 Aug 1926, name printed as Cumberbatch)

Thanks. I think I shall have to get his death certificate. The person I am in touch with on that family tree site is Bob Cumberbatch - with a b. It is just a variation of the same name along with Cumberbeach, Cumberbach etc. Apparantly Benedict Cumberbatch is one of us. Bob has found the name back to its start.

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got round to ordering William Jeyes Cumberpatch's death certificate (who I now know to to be my Great Grandfather). I was hoping that the informant of the death would be my G. Grandmother Mary Harvey but no such luck. Contrary to what it says on the death certificate and I was aware, that he died in hospital so no surprise really I don't suppose. For those interested here is his death cert.

dglxt.jpg

When I was at Mundella Grammar School in 1966 there was a Susan Cumberpatch in my year, and I think she had a cousin at the school called Jo. They would both be in their early 60s now, are they related to you malcolm?

We have the death certificate for our great granddad. He died in the infirmary at what is the City Hospital in 1935. What is interesting is that the place of death is recorded as 700 Hucknall Road. I once went looking for this only to find that house numbers ended in the 400s at the boulevard. So, 700 Hucknall Road must have been a euphemism for the infirmary. Any comment from Annswabey?

When I was at Mundella Grammar School in 1966 there was a Susan Cumberpatch in my year, and I think she had a cousin at the school called Jo. They would both be in their early 60s now, are they related to you malcolm?

The Cumberpatch name has been traced back to a single gene pool surfacing at Kingsthorpe in Northants. Cumberpatch and Cumberbatch are the same name, so yes they will be related to me somewhere along the line as there is only one family of Cumberpatches in the country. Regarding Nottingham Cumberpatches they emanate from dahnt Medders having come up to Nottingham from Northants in the 1870's and 80's. I am in touch with one family member, Barbara Cumberpatch. When I see her next I will ask about Jo and Susan

We have the death certificate for our great granddad. He died in the infirmary at what is the City Hospital in 1935. What is interesting is that the place of death is recorded as 700 Hucknall Road. I once went looking for this only to find that house numbers ended in the 400s at the boulevard. So, 700 Hucknall Road must have been a euphemism for the infirmary. Any comment from Annswabey?

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

• Upvote 1

My grandma had a copy of her birth certificate in 1914 which states on the back why the copy was requested - it says 'for the purpose of work'. I suppose it was to prove her age to confirm she was old enough to start work?

• 6 months later...

Hi Malcolm,

I've just found and read this topic and noticed that your grandfather Edward Harvey married widow Florence Rose Prince age 22, I'd also clocked on the 1901 census re Mary Harvey that her neighbours were also Princes. This got me thinking which Prince did she marry. Red herrings though Mary's neighbours were not from my lot.

But from the marriage cert. #89 she was born Florence Rose Cooper, I couldn't find a marriage between F.R.Cooper and a 'Prince' but there was one for F.R. Cooper and a John H Lakin m.1915.

In 1916 Florence Rose Lakin married Charles Robert Prince, who, according to my family tree is my 1st cousin twice removed. He didn't die until 1951 so that one must have ended in divorce. It seems perhaps that by the age of 22 she had been a Cooper, Lakin, Prince and a Harvey.

Small world isn't it? When it is likely that your grandmother was the wife of one of my recent ancestors.

David Prince

The information you have found is correct. Rose Cooper was my Grandmother. She wasn't known by her first name Florence. I had assumed that she married Charles Stanley Prince as their son was Charles Stanley Prince but known as Stan. He was my Fathers half brother - my Uncle Stan. I had also noticed that there were Princes on Queens Grove all of which makes me wonder who actually knew who! I have the Coopers on Derwent Street and Ryland Street. The other thing of note is that on my Grandparents, Harvey marriage certificate that you have seen above it says she was widowed at the time of the marriage to Edward Harvey, my Grandfather. I had always understood that she was divorced from Mr Prince senior and you seem to have confirmed that.

I did ask you previously if you were related in any way and you had said definitely not. Fact is - if your avatar picture is anything to go by you do look rather a lot like my Uncle Stan. He died around 1968-69 in his fifties. He was a bit of a 'lad'.

C Stan Harvey formerly Prince on right of picture, his wife Gladys nee Worley on left of picture. Myself and my parents are the three in the centre of the picture. I have no idea where the picture was taken or what the occasion was. I would be guessing at around 1963 or 4.

2n06106.jpg

• Upvote 1

Malcolm I have revisited your original request regarding Charles Stanley Prince. Florence Rose did marry Charles Stanley not Charles Robert. I'd got 3 screens going trying to compare the records and obviously confused my 'Rs' from the other.

The facts are Rose married Charles (b South Africa) in 1916 when he was 46 she would have been about 19, he enlisted in the Army in 1918 at 48 and died at home 1st November that year aged 49. After his death all correspondence was forwarded to Florence Rose Harvey at Derwent Street.

There are reams of notes in the Ancestry Military section relating to his death but no real conclusion, just some mention of an infection I think.

Sorry about the errors can't see any connection after all (at this stage).

• 11 months later...

Does anyone happen to know which month the 1901 census took place?   I have found another issue. I had always known my grandmothers maiden name as being Cooper. But apparently her birth certificate will give her name as Florence Rose Horton. Her mother being Annie Elizabeth Horton. This I suppose doesn't mean that John Cooper wasn't her father. On the 1911 census it says that John William Cooper and Annie Elizabeth Horton had been married 10 years. It seems they were married in September 1901. I have up to now been unable to find them on the 1901 census. I am guessing that they were 'shacked up' rather than married if the census was earlier than September. Their address MAY have been 5 Derwent Street, Medders.

hi Pianoman    the 1901 census

took place on the 31st  March of that year.

• 5 months later...

Following the discovery that my G. Uncle George Harvey was killed in WW1 have been to visit CWGC website and discovered this information on him. I can actually pinpoint his grave on Google Earth. What would be nice to know is what he was actually doing to get killed - apart from walking in the opposite direction to a bullet that is. It would be nice to know what 'action' he was in or what battle, if any. Is there any way of finding out?

George_Harvey_Lillers001.jpg

George_Harvey_Lillers002.jpg

George_Harvey_Lillers003.jpg

George_Harvey_Lillers004.jpg

George_Harvey_Lillers005.jpg

George_Harvey_Lillers006.jpg

I have posted them all here as the might be of interest to people on this forum

• Upvote 1