Birth Certificate ordering

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm finding FreeBMD easier to use than FindMyPast. She never married. Just had 9 kids. As for her maiden name, well I guess she was no fair maiden

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought

If you continue on Hucknall Road over the ring road, there is more housing on the left side, starting at number 701 (the white house here). https://goo.gl/maps/yvRst

Wow!  Thanks. No idea all this could possibly exist. He seems to have my dads chin and nose!!  I shall now have to go to church for a look.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, annswabey said:

You can download the War Diary for 1 Battalion KOYLI for the appropriate period here.  It will give a day by day account of what they were involved in and where and will cost £3.50  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353512

I have just downloaded that thanks. Mountains of info in it.

I now have the war diary for 1914/15 for 1st batt. Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. There are pages and pages of it.  If it doesn't take too long I'll put it here. George Harvey was at least a Nottingham-ite from dahnt Medders!

The site can be very useful but when I've checked it for my relatives, much of the information about family links was wrong. However, I have corrected it and also uploaded photos of the people concerned, mostly my great uncles. That's the very least I can do for them.

The site doesn't have much info for some men, Jill, probably because they've mainly taken details from the Commonwealth War Graves website.  In the case of my Great Uncle (another Medders lad) CWGC doesn't give any detail on next of kin etc

I came across this site only a couple of weeks ago and am amazed at the amount and depth of info given about my Grandfather and Great Uncle which was unknown to us and wonder if our archivists are aware as to how the details were collated and from which sources as I would not have thought that CWGC would  have all the details of siblings, parents, addresses etc that are given.

Some info is given by relatives, as Jill mentioned, or if service records have survived for those particular men, perhaps they extract information from those.  Also perhaps newspaper articles and census records or from people who have researched various war memorials, and if Sherwood Foresters, from the Regimental Archives

• Upvote 1

Interesting item on BBC news web site this morning about the original makeshift wooden crosses used to mark the graves of the fallen in WW1 and a current project to catalogue those which were brought back to the UK after the CWGC Portland stone grave markers were put in place.

I was told by my mother that her father had a framed photograph of the cross he made for his younger brother, Archie, after he was blown to pieces by a German shell. Grandad scraped up what remained and buried it in a sack during a lull in fighting. He witnessed the death and never spoke about it. The photo of the cross hung next to a photo of his brother, in uniform. Sadly, I don't remember ever seeing either of these photos and have no idea what happened to them. I wish they had survived.

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Following on, some may have seen on BBC Central News the bit about the guy who has photographed all the gravestones in military cemeteries. I have asked him if he has a photo of my G. Uncle George Harvey's grave at Lillers, France.

His website can be found here:  http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk

I will add more info if he has it

• Upvote 1