Report out today that plans have been released for Broad Marsh Centre to be turned into a Leisure Complex. Cinema Restaurant's and a few choice shops. It all sounds good but we have seen some

fancy plans before and they all come to nothing so I wont hold my breath.

• Upvote 4

I haven't seen Broadmarsh Center for a few years, but from some of the posts I have read on here, it sounds as if it has done its day. I remember in 1997, going into the center and spending a couple of hours. The British Home Stores and Alders were quite busy. As for a Leisure center, I think it's a case of...Watch this space.

Plenty of coverage about it on the local news tonight. Comparing it to the similar and very successful Highcross Centre in Leicester, which opened a few years back.

Things seem to look favourable, should be good for the city.

Leisure complex might be the way to go.

It definitely can't be any worse than it is now.

When I saw the 'artist impression' of what they propose to do with Broadmarsh, it seemed to be just a re-hash of what it was originally.

I think the 70's model for Shopping Centres is dead and gone. You're not going to get big stores and over-priced fashion kiosks anymore. They just don't make any money in todays environment. Certainly not in a location like Broadmarsh.

I'd far rather see a 'covered market' scenario where there are lots of small shops - even market stalls.

Here in London I see low-key services like 'eyebrow threading' doing tremendous business in our local Mall (Edgware).

Yes, I'm serious !

Small scale places that might not have a massive turnover, but do things that fulfil an actual need.

Of course the actual location of Broadmarsh is something that requires special attention since it is the thoroughfare from the railway station into town. (Bus station too).

At the moment it is profoundly depressing to walk through that place.

• Upvote 1

Of course the actual location of Broadmarsh is something that requires special attention since it is the thoroughfare from the railway station into town. (Bus station too).

At the moment it is profoundly depressing to walk through that place.

With the extension of the tram system beyond the railway station, Broad Marsh will be even more easy to avoid. Anyone coming into Nottm from the south will just stay on a tram (or bus) and go straight to the city centre.

About time they did something with it, it's a real eyesore. That is what travellers from the train station see when they make their way up to the city, inspiring, eh? It should have been pulled down years ago.......

I'd forgotten the old East Midlands Electricity Showroom. There were usually queues upstairs with people waiting to pay their bills.

The old cream and black taxis were always evident in the old pictures too, they must have been phased out in the seventies?

• 5 years later...

If INTU go bust the assets will be sold off.

There will always be someone to buy them although the price may be low.

In the case of Broadmarsh which in it's current state probably has a negative value it may be a case of buy Vic Centre get Broadmarsh free.

• 1 year later...

Whatever plan emerges, I think we need to see the whole area from the railway, north to the southern edge of the city centre as a long-term integrated planning area. Possibly even down to Queens Drive. There are several amenities outside Broad Marsh development itself that deserve to be integrated into any area plan. An obvious one is the canal, which most people hardly realise exists, but could be a wonderful linear park if opened up. Also, we need a view opening up from the south towards St Mary's Church. That would be spectacular.

Well if Cities like Dresden and Warsaw that were bombed flat during WW2 can be rebuilt as they were perhaps its not such a bad idea to put Nottingham back as it was. Its the best plan suggested so far

• Like 1

We had cobbles in Newark market place and they had become smooth and flattened over time. Some years ago the council, in their wisdom, had them taken up and relaid and people were tripping on them all over the place. Perhaps a cobbled effect could be used in the Broad Marsh scheme without the hazards of proper cobbles. I’m sure the Council will be able to cobble something together.