We arrived at our cottage in Brittany on Friday to be greeted by a bombsite. About 400 sq metres of lawn and grass around the cottage has been ripped up by a heard of wild boar. Our farmer friend says that there are about 50 boar in the heard. We are trying various avenues for insurance but getting nowhere. It is serious damage similar to deep furrow plowing. We get the odd boar or deer but never had anything like this before.

Must have been a fantastic sight.

Boars or feral pigs??? 50 boars would savage each other over territorial rights, Feral pigs are a nuisance around where I live, but usually only one boar to a heard, he chases other boars away, very jealous of their little harems.

When I lived in Bathurst NSW, there was a photo of a boar a farmer had shot on his land, the carcas was strung up by it's hind legs, it must have measured over eight feet from trotter to trotter, huge dangerous animal.

They kill sheep in sheep country, rip the livers out of the live sheep and leave it to die.

I had a mate down under who used to hunt feral pigs, he always took a high powered rifle just in case, but hunted with bow and arrow.

I was just looking feral pigs up on the Missouri conservation site, and we are instructed to shoot feral pigs on sight due to the damage they cause.

We had warnings over the local radio station a few weeks back on the growing problem around the Ozarks Dave. They are not native to America.

I know how dangerous the boars are from my time in Australia, but so far I haven't seen any signs of feral pigs on my land, maybe the mountain lions scare them off??

We are also getting sightings of brown bears in the area!! Now they are protected, but if one shows sign of being a danger, we are allowed to shoot them.

I think that the heard have to keep moving during the hunting season. They will split up more in Spring and then the boars get territorial. I have only been close to an adult female with two young ones. Not that big, the mother maybe weighed 100/120lb.

Not having seen any locally, as of yet, I can't say anything about sizes of them locally, but I know where I lived down under, they grow to a fair size and were very dangerous, both sows with piglets and the boars.

Most farmers around me are beef raising, some have large herds of goats, so the goats would be in danger from feral pigs, I doubt even a large boar would go for cattle.

Still, If I go for a walk around my fields, especially around the wooded areas, I'll carry a firearm, can't be too careful with lions, feral pigs, bobcats and now bears!!

The mate I mentioned down under was stuck up a tree for several hours, we had a good laugh about it at work when he told us all. He'd been hunting with a high power bow, hit a huge boar, but didn't take it down, it turned and charged him, he didn't have time to pull his rifle off his shoulder and take aim, so ran for the nearest tree, dropping both his bow and rifle. He said the pig just sat at the bottom of the tree eyeing him up...LOL

One of our fitters used to go pig shooting with a group of mates, the feared walking around dried creek beds and coming face to face with a herd of pigs, especially sows with piglets. I gather sows with youngsters are fearless and highly dangerous.

We've got two properties in central Brittany and have never seen live boars, but frequently saw their tracks down near the stream at the bottom of the garden.