Queen Street, Old Basford

Hi

First post so hope this has a reply or two.

Struggling with finding information on Queen Street in Old Basford. I know the area has been redeveloped once or twice so not much to look at if I visited but I do have maps but not to a scale that would identify actual house numbers. If anyone can help with this it places context to what I am looking for. There also seems to be a Public House which looks like it could be Queen's Arms - I can't make this out fully so any confirmation of this would be nice. From what I can make out my ancestors appeared to have lived in a number of houses in this street from around 1880 - 1920. Photos of the street would be nice but hay whatever is available, incidentally family is RAYNOR.

Paul Raynor

Hi Paul & welcome to the forum

Queen Street ran between Mill Street & Percy Street.

The was indeed a Queens Arms public House which was number nine.

There was a Hedley Raynor living at number 58 in 1950

NTGM001459.jpg

I will have to check my maps out to see if I have one for that bit of Basford.

Welcome Paul .

There was a court case in Jan. 1892 when Ernest Wheldon, a dyer of New Basford sued a number of men who left his employment during a time of strikes . Amongst the men was Walter Raynor of Queens Sq, Queens St, Basford . Case against him was dismissed .

In Feb 1929 a Mr E Raynor was a prize winner in a Nottm Evening Post competition . Address given as 50 Queens St.

Old Basford .

There is also a tragic report in June 1934,. of a young 14 year old girl called Frances Raynor who was cycling with a friend called Winifred Rose when their pedals touched and poor Frances fell into the path of a trolley bus near the gates of the crossing at Cinderhill colliery . Her address was given as 58 Queen St.

Bubblewrap

Thank you for the reply and the picture.

Was the Queen's Arms on the corner of Queen's Street & Queen's Square? I am looking at a 1915 reprint of the Old Basford area which indicates a large building at that location. As for the photo is there any reference to when it was taken and the direction (towards Mill Street or towards Percy Street). My guess it was viewed towards Percy Street which tells me some of those houses would have been demolished by the time the photo was taken. hard to say, I have looked at various lost pubs sites but can't find any other detail of this landmark, trade directories would seem the next best place to look.

As for Hedley Raynor, well could be another lead and I will follow this up. There are a few branches of Raynor's in Nottingham and the possibility is likely we are related distantly.

Thanks again, look forward to your reply.

Paul Raynor

DavidW

There is a possibility Walter could be an ancestor, now you have provided a date then I can look up which branch of the family this could be, occupation appears right as most of the employment appears to revolve around Lace, or Bleaching, Bleaching Trimmers (what is a Bleaching Trimmer?) or publican,etc. 1892 appears familiar for some reason, thanks for the lead.

The other leads I would have to follow up but they are in the right area. Bit of reverse engineering required here I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

Paul Raynor

DavidW

I had a look at the 1891 Census again and the adjacent housing and there is only one Raynor in Queen's Square and this is Walter Raynor so this is my Great Grandfather. I know they moved to Leicester before 1900 and had one more child between these dates as far as I know. Where do I find the reference to the court case you found?

Not looked at the other leads yet.

Paul Raynor

• Upvote 1

Paul article was from the News Archives on Find My Past but you have to pay to view .

I have copied and pasted most of the article here from the E.P. Jan 22nd 1892 . Hope this helps

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/16373648417_fd88d92050_b.jpg

Welcome Paul .

There was a court case in Jan. 1892 when Ernest Wheldon, a dyer of New Basford sued a number of men who left his employment during a time of strikes . Amongst the men was Walter Raynor of Queens Sq, Queens St, Basford . Case against him was dismissed .

In Feb 1929 a Mr E Raynor was a prize winner in a Nottm Evening Post competition . Address given as 50 Queens St.

Old Basford .

There is also a tragic report in June 1934,. of a young 14 year old girl called Frances Raynor who was cycling with a friend called Winifred Rose when their pedals touched and poor Frances fell into the path of a trolley bus near the gates of the crossing at Cinderhill colliery . Her address was given as 58 Queen St.

It took a little longer than I expected but I found that the death of Frances Raynor is linked to Hedley Raynor as Hedley is her Father as found by Bubblewrap. Bit more of a trace I am back to early 1830's - bit of a dirty way of looking at this but missing a last link which I think I may have at home. I have to say I may have a new line to my tree potentially. Would never have considered this so being on the forum has been worth while.

Hedley died in 1961 age 71 is wife Frances (nee Pynegar) died in 1974

If you can provide a copy of the EP article for Frances this would be a useful means to cover this branch of my potential family.

Thanks again

PR

Image of the article on the death of Frances Raynor in 1934 . This also has a photo of her . From Evening Post June 1934.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/16566553701_2a6b798a89_b.jpg

Yes terrible , looked a lovely girl .

Just rechecked and the date of the newspaper is actually 31st May 1934.

Nowt to do with your ancesters Paul,but would you be the Paul Raynor that frequented the Park Tavern on Southark st in the 70s?

Nowt to do with your ancesters Paul,but would you be the Paul Raynor that frequented the Park Tavern on Southark st in the 70s?

It will not be me I would be in my teens then living in Leicester and often trying to sneek in to pubs after my 16th birthday, strange the excitement was lost when you reach 18.....

PR

• Upvote 1

Maybe no connection but in 1908 living at 25 David Lane Old, Basford, Joesph Raynor Coal deliverer and shop keeper

Well I would have to have a look but there is a possibility.

The leads I have obtained from this forum have been great, it will take me a few days to follow these through.

PR

Checked with my younger brother about a paul Raynor at the Park Tavern and he also remembered a Dave and Bruce being regulars there,so it seems your Basford ancesters def. left their stamp on the area. lol.

I don't know whether or not there is any connection whatsover or even if you would have any interest but one of my mothers cousins married a Raynor and I am pretty sure his name was Cyril. I distinctly remember that he died young. They may have lived around Aspley

Malcolm

Thanks for the reply.

From what I can make out the RAYNOR's were from around Basford, Bilborough, Bulwell so Aspley is a possibility. Originally I think they came from Retford moving to nearer Nottingham probably in the early 1730's. If you have any details then I check my research and see what turns up.

Thanks for the interest

PR