Lesley Gore R.I.P.

Lesley Gore wasn't a big name in the UK, only having 'I'll Cry If I Want To' at number 9 in the UK Hit Parade in 1963. Despite this, after all these years, if the song came on the radio or was played at a Club today, everyone would sing along to it and know most of the words. Lesley Gore, R.I.P.

• Upvote 2

So many well-known people dying.

Makes you question your own mortality.

Interesting to read the wiki page on Lesley Gore (Goldstein).

I didn't know that she'd been on Batman several times.

Nor that she was a lesbian and had been in a committed relationship for 33 years.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to............

Never knew that she was a lesbian though.........

Not that I'm making any moral judgements. What people get upto in their private lives is their concern.

Dusty Springfield was well known to be of the lady-love persuasion, but it was kind of an 'open secret' - known within the business so to speak. She was the girlfriend of a singer called Norma Tanega who'd had a hit called 'Walking My Cat Named Dog' in the 60's.

There are many people in the music biz and acting profession who bat for the other team, mainly because these are professions that seek praise and whether we like it or not, people do try to 'validate' their inner feelings.

It's sad however when people pretend to be one thing in order to deceive. We mentioned Peter Wyngarde in another topic. He pretended to be a 'ladies man' whilst at the same time being the boyfriend of Alan Bates and hanging around gents toliets.

George Michael went to eloborate lengths to prove his masculinity until he was 'outed'.

If people want to hide their sexuality then it's often better to say nothing.

Then if someone makes an issue of it, they can rightly claim that it's none of anyone's business.

I remember when Joan Armatrading was about to be outed in some paper. She was absolutely terrified of people finding out, but her agent made a statement about it and nobody batted an eyelid. Most people had already assumed it was the case.

Lesley Gore came out in 2005 after living with Lois Sasson for 23 years. I guess she felt that times had changed, or maybe she was no longer bothered by the possibility of negative publicity.

R.I.P.

• Upvote 1