My dad never knew his natural father, my gran never spoke about him to anybody, not even my dad. I suppose the sigma attached to bearing a child out of wedlock in that era and being ostracized by her family was just too much. At least she didn't desert my dad she brought him up the best she could with little or no support from her parents.

It was only after I started carrying out research did I find who was my dad's natural father was but by this time my dad was well into his 70's.

I found out his name was Douglas Grenville Hawthorn born 1908 and died in 1933 at the age of 25 years. At the time he was living at Audley Drive, Lenton and had two siblings Sarah Elizabeth and Eric.

Douglas Grenville's parents were Edgar born 1884 and Edith born 1886. Nottingham

If anybody can provide any information to help fill a few blanks on the name Hawthorn either pre 1884 or post 1933 I would be really grateful.

• Upvote 4

It makes you think doesn't it. How do you find out who a father is when his name isn't on the birth certificate? I have the same problem with my grandfather. My father never spoke of his families past because of it. - and other revelations that keep turning up!

I am still researching Hawthorn and trawling the internet today it is possible Douglas Grenville, my natural grandad actually got married in the year of his death, 1933.

According to the limited details I got, he married a Sarah E. Heathcote in 1933 in Nottingham. If this is proved it makes it more important for me to trace my ancestors.

25 September 1933 the Nottingham Evening Post reported 'Hawthorn. On September 22nd Douglas Grenville Hawthorn, 34 Audley Drive, Lenton Abbey Estate, Nottingham. Aged 25 years' no mention of a wife.

Once again if anybody has got any snippets it would help.

TBI, I have just this minute come off there. The only problem it doesn't prove the connection. I need confirmation names of witnesses (like parents) to tie it all up.

I have got Douglas's parents and grandparents names etc. but nothing yet for Sarah. It came a bit of a shock to find out he could have married.

I think a trip into the library is called for.

No TBI, all I saw was the entry for the marriage. I need death/marriage certificates to see who's names are included.

TBI, It wasn't the BDM ( nothing about any marriage on their site) I got the marriage info from it was the Latter Day Saints and I think they are not so accurate, so maybe he didn't get married after all.

I think it is a trip to the library and search through their records

No TBI, all I saw was the entry for the marriage. I need death/marriage certificates to see who's names are included.

TBI, It wasn't the BDM ( nothing about any marriage on their site) I got the marriage info from it was the Latter Day Saints and I think they are not so accurate, so maybe he didn't get married after all.

I think it is a trip to the library and search through their records

The marriage of Douglas G Hawthorn and Sarah E Heathcote in 1933 is listed on BMD and you will be able to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate for that entry.

Do you know if you can look at the full certificate before you buy to check if the fathers name and others corresponds with information I already have?

I presume TBI the register office has now moved from Shakespeare Street?

I always order certs online from the GRO. It used to be possible to put a checking point on an order, such as fathers name but don't think you can do that now. Anyway, if a detail varies slightly from your specification, they wouldn't supply it, even though it might be the right one. Have recently ordered a marriage cert where fathers name is entirely wrong - I know that for sure, from other evidence. Best to risk the £9.25, I'd say. Other info on the cert might help too - witness names, address, occupation.

Thanks Ann,

I know in the past, before I bought any certificate from the office on Shakespeare Street they always told me if the information I provided didn't match up but wouldn't show me the entry. I had to buy to see.

There's a notice in the Deaths in the Evening Post of 25/9/1933 - Hawthorn, on Sept 22nd, the beloved husband of Betty (middle initial of Sarah E perhaps stood for Elizabeth?) passed peacefully away. Interment General Cemetery Tuesday 2.30. First name for Hawthorn isn't given

• Upvote 1

Ann,

Thank you so much, you are a star. So he did get married in the year of his death. That's amazing. Yes, he was buried at the General Cemetery, I have the interment no, grave no. and plot no. I am more confident now in getting his death and marriage certificates. I must find out if he had children and try and trace them. Thank you again Ann, I owe you one.

Let me know what the certs say when you get them! Not a lot of time for him to have had children of the marriage, although perhaps possible that a child/children could have been born before the marriage.

Sounds as though it's him, although there could have been another Hawthorn died on the same day and buried at the same cemetery, I suppose!

As to my natural granddad, like my late dad we knew nothing about him. My dad never met him. All I know he got my Granma pregnant and never married or lived with her so he could well have been a bit of a philanderer, who knows, Gran never said.

Thanks again Ann, I will certainly let you know what's on the certificates