Portland Junior School - Glaisdale Drive

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also had a bit of a thing for Ilya but couldn't abide his sidekick, Solo.   Scott Tracey was the most fetching of the puppets and quite lifelike too since I later learned at The Manning th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BknhUMWEdgM     Interesting video on the history of the Bilborough Estate: Good old propaganda!

I looked through the list of schools and could not find Portland Junior School Bilborough so I am adding this to the list. Looking at some old school photos from the late 50s I counted the number

Posted Images

Just discovered this site. May I offer a correction: the main entrance to Portland Junior School was/is on Westwick Road while the main entrance to Portland Primary (Infant?) School was/is on Birchover Road.

Lizzy: That lad on Stotfield Road was my brother Nicholas. Ellen lived opposite.

Thanks for all the memories. I attended the two schools from 1955 through 1961. Miss Berlinson was headmistress of the Infants; the aforementioned Mr. Bourne was headmaster of the Juniors.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I was a teacher at Portland in the late fifties along with Harold Bourne, ? Gregory, Geoff Denman, ? Pearson, Eileen Bowker, Jennifer ? Whitworth, Christine Martinson, ? Rees, Brenda ? 

I've tried hard to remember my pupils and can manage only Keith Bonser, Lawrence Belshaw, Mary Booth, Angela Upton, Malcolm ?, Carol ? Richard ?

A few others (Larry Monger, Geoff Cook, Colin Brimble were, I think, from a previous school in Luton.

Anybody remember me - Young, blond, from South Africa, good friend if Geoff Denman?

John Boje, I was a pupil at Portland Junior School in the late 50's. I was in Miss Maxwell's class, then Miss Martinson, then Miss Whitworth then Mrs Pearson. Mrs Bowker was at the infant school. In the infants I was in Miss Mosely's class then Miss Henshaw. I remember Miss Henshaw always seemed to wear a bright green dress. She was the one who lost my maths book and did not find it until she tidied her cupboard at the end of term. I seemed to go for weeks without doing any maths! She never noticed!

I believe that it was the teacher called Rees who took our class when our teacher was absent. She shouted at me because I did no close my eyes for prayers at the end of the day.

I do not remember you. Sorry! I only knew the teachers who taught our class or did an activity with us. That was the way in those days. 

You mention Lawrence Belshaw. He lived in the next road to us and I knew his sister. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, I attended Portland from around 1972-76 with my twin brother Brian. Lived on Burnside Road on the corner prefab to Glaisdale Drive and walked there each day. I remember the daily assembly with hymns and classical music, and was in the school plays, one teacher seemed to put me up for a prominent role each year, starring as David, in David and Goliath, Aladdin, Robin Hood, I think the first year I had a walk on/walk off part, Mr Rusty from Rustees Savings Bank. Really enjoyed my time there but having difficulty remembering any teachers names, the bald headed Headteacher, I think it was a Mrs Stimson in 4th year, a hippy teacher in 3rd year bit like john Lennon and I recall Mr Clyde-Watson as well just because of the double barrel name. Pupils I can remember the Hand twins, Kevin Spiers who lived on Burnside Green, Matthew Asher and Mark Sully who were good cricketers and Deborah Woodward lovely girl a Jehovah's Witness. Also Karl Brown, Chris Bilbie not many others though. Queuing up for the cafetaria up the stairs, and the odd shaped cutlery. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

My brother & I went to Portland Junior in 1961. I was in Mr. Denman & Mrs. Bowker's classes. I fondly remember being in the school plays, harvest festival & making paper chains at Christmas. I'm still friends with one particular girl from my time here!   My mum & dad owned the fish & chip shop on Cockington Road.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, Happily retired said:

I was amazed to see that Baxter's hardware shop was STILL there with exactly the same sign above the shop.

Wow, that is amazing! We moved to Hoylake Crescent in 1951 and if Baxters wasn't open then it certainly was not long after. My parents became friends of Mr and Mrs Baxter and later of their daughter ( who I think was called Doreen) and son-in-law Lindsey. My dad was a great d-i-y fan and he must have been one of Baxters best customers over the years. I wonder if the shop is still in the family?

I can remember the Siamese cat that was at the Baxter’s shop, you could not stroke it as it would scratch you. They used to sell knitting wool in the back room.

• 6 months later...
On 11/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, Happily retired said:

OK Here goes.

This refers to the photo with Mrs Anderson. 

Top row, left to right:

Head master Mr. Woodward, Graham Gough, Steven Lees, Neville Clifford, David Bramley, Paul Keely, Paul Eustace, Michael Shepherd, Robert Allen, Jonathan Ivans, Richard Garton, Alan Bird, Mrs Anderson.

Middle row:

Robert Fell, Julie Knowles, Barbara Fisher, Jane Dunne, Denise Grayson, Celia hunter, Julie Mckinley, Elaine Harrison, Lorna Shaw, ???????,Trevor Jones.

Bottom row:

Steven Rogers, Janice Giles, Jane Bonser, Michelle Dodwell, Susan Hudson, Carol Stainright, Christina Collinson, Margaret Harris, Wendy Bowers, Pete Bradbury.

The missing name where the question marks are is Judith Scott

• 5 months later...