Basford Workhouse Infirmary, Highbury Road

Just received my 2 x great Grandfathers birth cert. this morning and it seems that he died in Basford Workhouse Infirmary, on Highbury Road in 1917. Not heard of it before. There is another thread on here about Basford Isolation Hospital on Hucknall Road but that I think is something else.

Anyone any information?

Thanks Cliff. Just missing the red arrow!

Thanks Commo. There is a good link on that website to children s homes too that I may find useful

There was the City Isolation Hospital, as well as the City Hospital, both could have been on the same site, in Hucknall Road. It was used for the treatment of scarlet fever, diphtheria, enteric fever, tuberculosis and other serious infectious diseases.

There was quite a lot in Bygones not long ago about the Basford Workhouse. I think some of the buildings were still there in use as part of the hospital until quite recently.

• 2 months later...

A little late this ,but i remember the isolation hospital on Hucknall Road , it was on the roght hand sode of the road before the junction for Arnold Road , has an estate there now , would it have been called Heathfield hospital ? I also recall passing the City hospital and they kept pigs , as kids it was a treat to sit upstairs on the bus and look for them lol easily pleased all those years ago xx

• Upvote 1