What's yer favorite nosh

Plain food mainly.

1, Plain boiled potatoes, Broad Beans, Baked Beans and Middle Bacon. (Not Gammon for me)

2, Small Jacket Potato, Ham, Home made Coleslaw and Col/Broc Cheese

3, Chicken, Peas, Rice,Mushroom, onion, Toasted Cashews, Soy Sauce, homemade Stir Fry.

4, Liver and onions, Streaky Bacon, Potato, Garden Peas/Carrots.

5, Smoked Mackeral, warmed up in a sandwich

Followed by

1, Home made Rice Pud.

2, Stewed fruit/Custard,

3, Vienetta, or Tinned Fruit with Icecream, Carnation or fresh cream and strawberry sauce.

4, Trifle.

Not all on the same day though. :biggrin:

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when my missus wants me out of the garage she puts on liver and onions and I float in like a bisto kid

Bacon,Blue Stilton & Mushrooms on a cob/bap.

That's why I'm now broke. 50 years of wages gone on food, drink, Forest, cars, CDs, live gigs, oh, not to mention a very, very expensive divorce !!!!! Who cares ?

Reading this whilst having my breakfast. Toast and trying my new recipe clementine and limoncello marmalade. Got so into it that I didnt even know what it tasted like so I will have to try it all over again. ,!

But I love eating although meat is gradually getting less and less. We tend to eat italian anyway but I love seafood and in chinese, and even indian I tend to eat king prawns. I also love pasta with fresh sardines, wild fennel and pinenuts, when it is served with a sprinkling of fried bread crumbs and sugar. Sounds strange I know but its delicious , its a sicilian speciality . In uk I love lamb in any which way and steak and kidney pie or pudding. Desserts.....anything sticky, gooey, melt in the mouth or fresh.......just about everything especially cannoli filled with sweet ricotta and cinnamon and finished each end with a piece of chocolate or candied fruit. Why oh why get started on a food thread when theres work to do. I just want to start eating all these lovely things.

• Upvote 1

I've never been a pasta person but our tastes must change as we get older, I now find I love Fettuccine al funghi with pork medalions, also chicken fettuccine with loads of extra garlic.

Even the humble spag bol is now on my regular menu.

• Upvote 1

Banjo, I was never a fan of pasta. Before I got married my husband to be took me to Anzio to meet a couple of his friends who had english girlfriends. We ended up at a family gathering. On the menu was spaghetti with a VERY hot chilli sauce. Non of us girls could eat it and the men finished the lot. After we got married the only sauce I could make was simple tomato sauce and this was served every time we had pasta but over the years Ive become more adventurous and try anything. Being married to an italian introduced me to many dishes I couldnt even dream of........and then of course are the sicilian dishes........ugh and Ive just had a bowl of leek and tomato soup, what a let down.

Fettucine ai funghi , youve got good taste.

Edit....I now love chilli and put it on almost everything. I even make my own chilli jam to put on cheese etc

• Upvote 3

I noticed that Carni said Middle Bacon and not back or streaky bacon. I find it quite hard to get hold of middle bacon these days, it seems to be out of fashion. However, I buy it whenever I can.

• 5 years later...

Pizza or burger would be my last choice off any menu, Mrs Red “Let’s have a pizza :angry:“ quick google & reviews & we are outside Italian greasy spoon sandwich shop Bar Bruno in Soho & she's having none of it! Admitted @ breakfast that was the best pizza she’d ever tasted, proves man knows best ;)

Bar Bruno

101 Wardour St, London W1F 0UG https://g.co/kgs/hN8MiJ 

RR Theres pizza and pizza and you obviously made the right decision to go  for the right pizza. Its a good idea to follow reviews. We have two pizzerias in our village. One is fantastic, very light and tasty the other one the base is tough and leathery and the toppings are all mushy and mixed up. I don't know what takeaway pizzas there are in Nottingham now but be careful with your choice. I know pizzas are a hit and miss but if you find a local one you like , stick to it, it'll save you money and indigestion.

By the way it isn't always a good pizza if the owner is Italian.

I agree nonnaB, there are far too many bad pizzas for every good one.

My favourite nosh in order of preference is

1) Any form of seafood except whelks, abalone and eels. I'd put prawns and oysters way above lobster.  I love any sort of fish and what I wouldn't give for a nice piece of British cod or haddock.

2) Steaks and roast beef come a close second (roast beef and all the trimmings tonight)

3) A good Indian or Chinese dish with a bit of spice to it.

• Like 1

It’s a bit stereotypical, but Italians pizza, Spanish paella, French frogs/garlic, Chinese egg fried rice, Japs noodles, Indians curry, Turkish kebab, English fish & chips, Jocks haggis, Welsh leeks, Irish potato’s, you don’t visit a steakhouse & order fish & chips :crazy:

• Like 1

Italians have a lot more to offer than just Pizza like every other country . They all have their own specialities. Here every province has its own . My tastes in food have altered since I married. The first meal I went to with my husband when I met my future inlaws had a starter with artichoke. This "flower" was served on the plate and I hadnt a clue how to eat it. Can't say I was impressed but I love them now but they are a b......r to prepare.

OZ I too love fish especially shell fish. Last year we had a weekend , well it really was one day in Sicily and my husbands cousin took us to restaurants that served only fish of all kinds. We are looking at flights for this coming weekend to sample the delights again. 

• Like 1

Two posts above was our wedding anniversary in May. I was starting to get nibbles,and drinks ready for a few family members as we were in semi lockdown.

• 2 weeks later...

Not uploaded as I thought it might. These are veg that I've preserved in the last few weeks. Courgettes with chilli and garlic, mixed peppers and aubergines, mixed veg in tomato as a salad which is good to eat in winter with tuna and a hard boiled egg. Anyone can do these and those with gardens and vegetable plots are even luckier than those that have to buy their veg. At the moment I'm dehydrating veg that are expensive in the winter. Just bought a dehydrator so am experimenting. Just made some courgette chips au naturelle next time will put something spicy in with them. 

• Like 1

20210522-111944-Original.jpg

Lovely stuff Nonna.  I shall be looking to you for ways of using and preserving the huge crops of Tomatoes and Runner Beans I am expecting shortly.

I wasn't sure it would work.. but I got your picture 'inline' by:

Right click on link>copy> paste, add image tags [/IMG] either side

20210522-180706-Original.jpg

20210523-091649-Original.jpg

20210528-134709-Original.jpg

20210528-134740-Original.jpg

20210528-185417-Original.jpg

Looks fab Nonna!!

Many thanks DJ .Recipes are so simple, all you need is plenty of jars or freezer space andg ofg course time. But its rewarded in winter when you can only find frozen veg. Even better if its your own.

For OZ who likes fish. Oysters, red prawns, octopus with mussels, raw salmon and raw white fish , I didnt find out what it was. This was our starter last Sunday lunchtime in Sicily. ( Trabia)

IMG-3941.jpg