Samuel Raynor Nottingham Forest FC

An ancestor of mine Samuel Raynor played for Nottingham Forest Football Club around 1929 - 1932. Previously he was on the books of Leicester City but never got to the first team so did not feature in the official history of Leicester City. I was hoping there would be an official history published for Nottingham Forest available either online or book, I see a mention of one but not the actual book, seems to have been published a while ago. Is there anyone with a copy of this book that would provide me with the stats for the years above, maybe a team photo or two or any other information like newspapers articles. Did he actually play for the first team as that would be a start. Any clues where to look would be helpful.

Hope this generates some interest.

PR

Can't see Samuel Raynor mentioned much with regard to Forest . There is a team sheet for the reserves for 1930 where a Raynor is listed .

There is a mention in 1926 of Samuel Raynor signing as an amateur for Leicester City . Describes him as a centre forward and that he had a previous trial for Manchester City. But thats it !

I have found a photocopy of a Nottingham Forest Team Photo 1930 - 31 and he is there (knew I had something filed away). When I can get this scanned I will add to the post - no idea what newspaper this would be from but likely to be only in Nottingham.

Interesting concerning the amateur signing in 1926, I did not know this or previous trials for Manchester City. I assume this must be a newspaper report?

PR

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Scotty

Been a few months since I was on the site as been busy elsewhere.

I have a couple of photos one of Samuel both are newspaper photos one is of Leicester City and the other Nottingham Forest.

The Leicester photo is a full team photo which is the same as the newspaper cutting (but better quality) in the official Leicester City Football history 'Of Fossils and Foxes' team photo is of the 1928/1929 season. Samuel was never played in the first team so if you were to ask Leicester City then they will not recognise him as a player (photo says otherwise).

I am not aware as to a similar comprehensive history for Nottingham Forest as that published for Leicester City but if anyone knows better please tell me.

It is interesting he was good enough to get signed up for both teams but only seemed to play in the reserves which is probably due to some very talented players at the time.

After Nottingham Samuel played for some semi professional teams (in modern terms) where he appeared for some years to be fairly active.

Hope this helps you but by all means come back to me if there is any further information.

Paul