I am looking for somebody from 1971. Name of Ken, Black, 21 then possibly Jamaican. Historian info.

Lived, possibly studied there but lived in an old building of flats which was accessed by outside metal staircase, possibly opposite Sherwood forest and not very far from one of the surrounds of the Arboretum. Within a possible mile or two radius max. If you know or even think you know, please post back. This is very important.

Welcome TinaW; it will be interesting to see if you get any response to this.

One point though...........

lived in an old building of flats which was accessed by outside metal staircase, possibly opposite Sherwood forest and not very far from one of the surrounds of the Arboretum.

With your reference to the Arboretum, you probably don't mean Sherwood Forest (which is several miles further north); you are referring to the Forest Recreation Ground on Gregory Boulevard.

• Upvote 1

Hi Cliff

Thanks for my first reply, yehhhyyy , I've been researching family history for some years and hit a brick wall, somebody told me he said he lived a walk from the rear or side of the wall surrounding the Arboretum, so not sure now ! He told them the place opposite his flat was "Sherwood Forest", so will check back about that one too. May have to search outside UK too, so hoping this forum can help in the first instance. They studied together you see. Wasn't too sure which part of the perimeter of the Arboretum he means, but with trying to put it all together, was hoping somebody would recognise my problem and help with location.

somebody told me he said he lived a walk from the rear or side of the wall surrounding the Arboretum, so not sure now ! He told them the place opposite his flat was "Sherwood Forest", so will check back about that one too.

That fits as a reasonable possibility. You could easily walk from "the rear or side of the wall surrounding the Arboretum" and then find yourself opposite The Forest (but NOT Sherwood Forest !).

So I think you are definitely looking in the right area.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Tina.............There was a Block of flats/houses which matched that description on Forest Road West Arboretum Nottingham...........and there is a Sherwood Street close by too........Have you tried the census ?...........Hope you find the information you want......I was looking for someone, almost gave up and then someone on here found the information for me........ good luck...

• Upvote 1

TinaW ...................There is a 1971 Census at the Nottinghamshire Archives, County House, Castle Meadow Road, Nottingham NG2 1AG. Tel 0115 9581634 or E.mail - archives@nottscc.gov.uk......... - I'd give it a go, It's worth a try.......... hellothere

• Upvote 1

As it was as recent as 1971, the census won't help as the most recent publicly available records are for 1911.

Possibly the electoral register might, but not without a better address.

there is a 1971 census in Nottingham.......

Hello and welcome Tina. I think the problem you have is that the likely area you describe consists of many houses that were built for the relatively rich many years ago and were quite large, some even with servants quarters. These become too large for single families and so some on the main roads became offices and many turned into flats. There would be several flats in a single address. I mean as many as 6 + flats. Some were very nice but some student bed sits and at the lower end. I had a couple of friends in a basement flat off Forest Road in the early 1970's and it still had the servants electric semaphore unit on the wall. Your description of an external stair case indicates to me that it may well have been a flat in such a house although the external stairs was probably a fire exit rather than the proper access. May I suggest that you find out absolutely all you can. I wish you luck. I have no idea but there used to be a newspaper type publication 'The Gleaner' read by the West Indian community. Maybe they have a personal ad section. Don't know, just a thought.

• Upvote 1

As a further example, this shows the area in question as it is today. The wall on the right is the boundary to the Arboretum. The houses on the left are - like letsavagoo says - big old places which have been converted into flats, and could well have a metal external staircase. If you rotate the view 180 degrees, you can see The Forest at the end of the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/iN0J3

• 1 year later...

Just another thought TinaW.  If you visited the house try Google Maps Street view and take a trip around the roads in the area using that to look for something that looks familiar. As part of my family history research I often do this to look for houses and locations as they are now.  Another source of information is Estate Agents sites that can tell you details of properties in a street and also Local Authority planning applications. My grandfather had a house in Nottingham and I discovered that it had been converted to student accommodation by looking for planning applications.

• 6 months later...