Lenovo Computers deliberately include Malware

I like Linux, but I think its basic weakness is that it will probably always be seen as a geek toy. People tend to be confronted on all sides by windoze whether at home, school or work. Thus they do not really want to be botherd with a completely different OS. Even if it might be better in the long run. I had initial frustrations with Linux, ie I couldn't get the right drivers at first for my wireless card, so no internet unless wired. I got Linux just before a major upgrade to the OS so had to re-install as the old one was no longer supported. (Shades of XP). So that was a major irritation and time consumer. Anyway all is now working well and I would not go back to windows slavery.

I don't know a lot about the Mac even though I have an Ipad. My use of it is fairly limited. Mostly web surfing and book reading via a Kindle app. That said it seems that Apple just have their own control just like M$. Seems like what we need most are more OS choices though that then raises the problem of compatible software and so we continue to put up with the main alternatives in spite of their weaknesses.

I was expecting trouble installing printers on Linux, but it worked easier than any version of windows I have ever used. With an extra bit of software I can run many windows programs with no speed problems. In many cases there are free Programs for Linux that do a better job than their MS competitors.

Yes it's the 'setup' aspect that puts people off.

Generally when a computer has been configured to do what you want, you can then just get on with your work.

And that's really all most people want when they buy a computer off the shelf.

Unfortunately, idiots like Lenovo destroy trust because they think it's OK to exploit people and cause real grief.

Even when you install programmes on your machine you've got to be careful because if you just use the Easy Install option (as they recommend), you will then find you've got all kinds of crap on there. Yahoo toolbar, default search engine changed, homepage changed, trial subscription to 'the cloud', some strange software associated with scanning, subscription to monthly ink supplies etc etc.

Not to mention the almost constant updates.

You're right that Mac has its own foibles, and they've certainly done some stupid things with their tablets and iPhones in the past, but generally it's not as irritating as Windows can be.

• Upvote 1

Catfan, Great ii'nt it?

Can't speak muct to win 8 I've only used it a bit on the computer we use in our church's sound system, but I din't like what I've seen of it.

I'm using Linux Mint. Seems closely related to Ubuntu. Seems well supported.

Barclaycon. I'm with you on programs sneaking junk that you didn't ask for. It is almost a form of assault in my opinion. All the install windows with checkmarks checked for junk. Many don't read them and just hit O-K. I missed one one time and took hours trying to remove crapware from my win 7 machine.