Years ago The New Inn was kept by Brian Calladine, a retired policeman, but that really is a long time ago.

Yes I know Rob and Prakash well. We were disappointed when they said they were selling the business but to be honest nothing has changed and the new people are very nice.

Long way for you to call DO your local, LOL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ability to buy decent pork sausages where I live is virtually nil. I can get good ones if I am willing to drive some distance, but don't want to do that everytime I fancy a nice sausage. Pre-mince

What's wrong with a picture of a sausage on a thread about.........................sausages?

Oh no, the New Inn, now renamed The Carrington (I think, but should know really!) isn't very nice. I won't say any more. Doctors Orders has always been a really friendly place. The guys who started

Calladine, yes that's the name. I knew it started with a C. Then his son took over. Back in the 60's my dad played for the New Inn darts team. It was a very good and popular pub in the 70's, I used it a lot.

I only know Rob, lives in Sherwood. Does he sill teach Tai Chi?

It is too far for a local, besides I couldn't afford those prices the amount I like to drink. I will stick to Wetherspoons.

• Upvote 1

I don't like blokes going for a sausage fix..... LOL

• Upvote 1

Brat free pubs only for me !!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I can imagine the Carrington being a bit rowdy in the evenings, The décor was very gothic but the lunchtime we have been in it's been empty so we have managed to hog the dart board and pool table all afternoon. It's not easy finding a pub nowadays with a dart board.

Oh dear, this topic seems to have gone down hill rapidly !!!!!

• Upvote 1

Years ago, I can remember having a tomato sausage, which was tasty, but I never hear of them now. Do they still make them?

TN Parr of Beeston used to make Tomato Sausage,when i worked for the Marsdens shops in the 60s,they were very popular and cost about 3d per lb more than the normal Pork sausauge which was about 2 bob per lb,and Beef sausauge cheaper at 1/6.

I even remember Parr's van/salesman (sad init) Big Paddy lovely bloke.

In Australia we've struggled for years to find a decent pork snagger. had a local pommie bloke, ex pork farms used to make some great ones but he retired so our search continued.

Then we saw some Jamie Oliver cumberland pork sausages in Woolies (one of our bug two, no Tesco's here worst luck) and they are simply the best pork sausage I have tasted in oz ! they are made here but from his highnesses secret recipe.

Most English sausage is good compared to the crap they normally sell here though.

When I first tasted my home made pork sausage yesterday, I was initially quite shocked. They were so different to what I had got used to. But by the third or fourth bite memories came flooding back of what sausages used to taste like all those years ago. I do believe that people either don't know or forget what the real thing tastes like. There was a time when sausage and mash, or toad in the hole were firm family favourites. Nowadays I suspect sausages are something cheap to fill a hole, vaguely edible, but only repeatable by necessity.

I do have recollections of a butchers on Arkwright street, possibly Dewhurst by name, where behind the counter there were two mincing machines, with sausage skins attached. One for beef and one for pork. If you wanted sausages, you would select a piece of meat, which would be weighed, then the butcher would ask what herbs, etc. were required. He would chop up the meat and put it through the relevant mincer with your selected herbs from a biscuit tin, plus a mini-shovel of breadcrumbs. If he thought the meat would be dry he would throw in some extra fat.

On reflection this is exactly what I did in making mine, so I have every expectation that what I tasted really was the same as those from fifty years ago. I did hear a comment to the effect that modern sausages are made in a factory out of view, as few people would eat them if they saw what went into them. Who here can say they have actually eaten a real pork sausage that they have seen being made? Few I suspect.