So I've decided to get back into the saddle with this family tree business after reading and following Malcolm's trials and tribulations, however, I'm stuck already. So any help would be brilliant.

Last year I purchased my Grandma's birth certificate whom I'd never met. Mum says Grandma never spoke about family etc so my Mum knows very little about her family history, hence my struggle! On the birth certificate it has down Grandma's Mother as Mary Ann CLARKE nee Hague. And Father as William Henry Clarke. However, I cannot fit a marriage record for these at all? Not sure if I'm making a schoolgirl/boy error but I've come up with nothing so far on both FMP and FreeBMD.

Grandma was born in October 1918 if this is of any use?

Glad you have started this mellisa,ann is of great help and finds things very quick ,I have recently started very early start but with

the help of ann ,located poss family graves at bolsover dating back to

1700s.good luck mellisa

• Upvote 1

This might be it - note a different spelling which probably threw you!

Marriages Dec 1909 (>99%) CLARK William Henry Nottingham 7b 758 btnInfo.gif scanavail.gif HAGUE Mary Ann Nottingham 7b 758 btnInfo.gif scanavail.gif RANBY Nellie Nottingham 7b 758 btnInfo.gif scanavail.gif REYNOLDS Talbot Nottingham 7b 7

I missed this, sorry! I think you're quite right! It's the spelling of Clarke which got me! Thank you! That's a starting point at least :)

The best of British in your searches. Ann has pointed me in the right direction on a number of things. I am currently waiting for a will to arrive for my 2x Great Grandfather. In had no idea that you could obtain copies of wills until she told me.

• Upvote 2

The Cambridge marriage is a different record entirely -it's a handwritten entry at the bottom of the page - ignore it! The refs you need to order the cert for your William Henry are Nottingham, vol 7b, page 758, Dec quarter 1909 as previously posted

• Upvote 2

You would be surprised catfan. If you have his age and full name, it is a start.

I joined Ancestry.com, and I have gone back to my Gt, Gt Gt Grandparents on the Paternal side, If I want to go further,I have to start spending a bit more money. I wanted to to solve a mystery about my surname and the answer was only three generations back. But I got hooked and love it. Give it a try, you might enjoy the research.

There are plenty of willing helpers on Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 2

Melissa these are all likely Clarke births with mothers maiden name Hague . Any of the names familiar ?

Births Dec 1911 Clarke Arthur Nottingham 7b767

Births Jun 1913 Clarke Gladys Nottingham 7b819

Births Dec 1913 CLARKE LILY Nottingham 7b844

Births Jun 1916 Clarke Leslie Nottingham 7b826

Births Sep 1918 Clarke Ronald S Nottingham 7b679

Births Dec 1918 Clarke Irene Nottingham 7b624

Births Sep 1922 Clarke Marjorie Nottingham 7b742

Births Mar 1924 Clarke Harold Nottingham 7b717

Births Mar 1925 Clarke Dorothy Nottingham 7b658

Births Jun 1928 Clarke Vera Nottingham 7b676

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ann and Catfan! Glad you've got somewhere with yours too Carni. How did you get so far back? Don't think I'll ever manage it lol.

Thanks David! Yes a few ring a bell. Irene is my Grandmother. And I know she had a brother called Leslie who passed away as a young child, she also had a sisters Dorothy/Doll, Marjorie and Vera. I'm not 100% sure on the others. I'll have to ask.

Thanks Ann and Catfan! Glad you've got somewhere with yours too Carni. How did you get so far back? Don't think I'll ever manage it lol.

Actually Melissa you may be able to go further back than that !

They always say you should do your own research but luckily , someone has done a partial family tree for you . (You shouldn't rely 100% on others work but click on the link below and there is Mary Ann Hague and William Henry Clarke with just one son Leslie mentioned ).

Don't think Leslie did die young as per your previous message . He could have died as recently as 2002 .

If you click on the blue highlighted "mother and father" names it will take you back a generation each time .

The Hagues go back to Dronfield to the 1700s . The Clarkes go back to Rutland , early 1800s .

I haven't clicked on the earlier spouses , so they may go back even further ?

Also at the top of the page is the greyed-out email address of the submitter should you want to make contact with any queries , though it appears it may have been submitted over 10 years ago .

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2852739&id=I544678579

As an aside , my own grandmother was also a Mary Ann who was always known as Polly , the same as your relo .

Looks like Mary Ann Hague has been listed as "Polly" Hague on the 1891 and 1901 Census .

• Upvote 2

What a find David!! Thank you so much, another name I have is Bill/William, I know for definite there was a young boy child who died young so there could have been confusion on which child from my Aunt. I have bookmarked that link and will try and contact the lady who uploaded it, although like you say it was uploaded over 10 years ago, worth a try though I suppose! Thank you again! Next on to Granddad's side once I've unravelled everything I can from this information :)

Redneck Family Tree

Many many years ago when I was twenty three,

I got married to a widow who was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter

Who had hair of red.

My father fell in love with her,

And soon the two were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law

And changed my very life.

My daughter was my mother,

For she was my father’s wife.

To complicate the matters worse,

Although it brought me joy.

I soon became the father

Of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became

A brother-in-law to dad.

And so became my uncle,

Though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle,

Then that also made him brother

To the widow’s grown-up daughter

Who, of course, was my step-mother.

Father’s wife then had a son,

Who kept them on the run.

And he became my grandson,

For he was my daughter’s son.

My wife is now my mother’s mother

And it makes me blue.

Because, although she is my wife,

She’s my grandma too.

If my wife is my grandmother,

Then I am her grandchild.

And every time I think of it,

It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become

The strangest case you ever saw.

As the husband of my grandmother,

I am my own grandpa!!

• Upvote 2

I found my own Famil Tree research extremely rewarding. The majority of the family have been in Nottingham as far back as I can go. The Williamson family itself have been around the city since the 1700's. I think the furthest back I got with one branch was the 1650's but every now and then I put it away and have a break as I become a bit obsessed by it all.

My best advice would be never assume that anything you know is correct. First names may be middle names, known names may be made up, people may have different parents to that which everyone assumed and nothing is ever what it seems. This sort of stuff cropped up on virtually every branch.

• Upvote 2