Ever been in the Council House?

Although I've lived in Nottingham virtually all my life, I've only ever once been in the Council House.

invite.jpg

That letter was sent to Greencroft Infants School, and I was one of two "scholars" chosen to go to the event.

And the savings groups were connected with these, which you may remember.

stamps.jpg

They do , or did conducted tours on Sunday mornings about 11 am. Free too.

Only been inside there once, about 4 years ago I think it was and I was very impressed. There was a promotion by the Jamaican Goverment to raise interest in investing in their country. One of the speakers was an ex Prime Minister who my husband knew as he's had a business there for many years. I think we were the only white people there, LOL

I'm sure as BR says, there are guided tours inside the building and it would be well worth going for a look around as it really is a lovely building.

• Upvote 1

Looking at the date on your letter Cliff Ton it looks to be about the same time that we went round, I know it was with a group from Firbeck School, but I suspect it was just an arranged school trip rather than an award ceremony. Thinking about it, it may well have been arranged during our Lord Mayors school visit by Bilbraborn's grandad Sir Sydney Hill. I can remember that the interior decor was very much Egyptian in style, rather surprisingly considering the Wren influence on the design of the outside, I also seem to recall that the walls were mostly painted lime green, is it still the same. One thing we did was walk around a gallery under the dome, looking down on the shoppers going in and out of Burtons.

I love the stamp, was the one with Prince Charles on it 1 shilling, I used to go to school with the money in an old Players Navy Cut cigarette tin and put the stamps in it to bring home, still got it somewhere, wouldn't be PC to use it for that now.

Micheal,

Just scanning the link you added on #1, and after scrolling down the page to "Free Stuff and Special Offers" It says,

• Nottingham Council House on Old Market Square is the most iconic building in the City, second only perhaps to the Castle. It has been ‘the heart of the City’ for over 80 years and the splendour of its wonderful art-deco interior has many an interesting tale to tell. It is not a museum but a living, working building. You can now enjoy FREE guided tours of the building every Sunday morning (except on Bank Holiday weekends) 10.30am and 11.15am, and selected Wednesday evenings.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on 24.01.2015.

If anyone wants to have a look round inside here is the opportunity. I wish I lived close by. I would definately take a tour.

I hope this info is helpful to anyone thinking of visiting the Council Houses

• Upvote 2

I found this article tonight and it's full of Nottingham's history covering many subjects. I didn't have time to read it all but what I did read I enjoyed.

I hope you enjoy it as well.

http://nlha.org.uk/news/

Here is Micheals Post with Link. Sorry I didn't add it to my Post above, But i'm only just getting the hang of the Multi Quote.

• Upvote 1

My wife and I were invited to the Council House a few years ago. The event was to honour foster parents and we had a really enjoyable evening. The buffet was excellent and all the drinks were free. (It's a good job that certain Nottstalgians weren't attending :biggrin:). We wandered round on our own so that we could view everything at leisure and we were quite impressed by what we saw.

• Upvote 2

#9 hippo girl,

Your idea sounds brilliant and I hope you manage to get it off the ground. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable arrangement. Even though I think it sounds a great idea, for us, we can only be counted as maybe's at this stage. :)

• Upvote 1

I have just checked on this website http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/23278/Council-House-Tours

And the next Wednesday evening isn't until the 16th of July. How about we set this date as it is far enough in advance for everyone? Would it be wise to possibly start a new thread...

• Upvote 2

I bet they'd be glad to give the NS crowd a tour. I wish I could go with y'all. I was never in there. Its amazing how many places you don't go to when you live in a place. Trip to Jerusalem is another place I never went to.

• Upvote 1

I used to be in and out of there regularly with the added perk of being able to get away with parking right in front of the left hand lion. I will next be there on 16th March for the launch of the St Pat's parade and welcome to Donegal. In case anyone's interested you can go in to watch the council meetings.

Watch the council meetings........ You're joking...... I'd be slitting my wrists after two minutes !!!!!!

• Upvote 2

You're either a real hero, or a glutton for punishment !!!!!!

If ever I was diagnosed with a rapidly deteriorating terminal disease, I'd be in there with a Gatling gun. LOL

There we are...... No politics !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1