Ever been in the Council House?

It was at a time when the Conservatives controlled the council here. Here's the background.

It was a general truth that Conservative councillers had decent jobs or were business owners and didn't need attendance allowances, and that for many of their Labour counterparts, being a Councillor had become a full time job and they relied on meetings every day to earn a living amount of money. So the Conservatives decided to cut the number of committee meetings drastically under the pretext that it was to save money when, in reality, it was just being spiteful. In retaliation, one evening the Labour councillors tried to fillibuster in the hope that enough Conservatives would go home and they could win the budget vote. In the end it didn't work but took all night. Amusingly, Martin Suthers (then mayor or Sheriff I forget which) found in the small print that a guillotine could be applied to any discussion and a vote called for immediately so the next meeting no discussion was allowed and each decision was made on a straight vote such that the meeting took 20 minutes. Eventually a compromise was reached whereby the guillotine would not be applied and the Labour councillors agreed to have a limit to the length agenda items could be held up for.

Common sense applied then.... That's unusual !!!!

Up against the wall MF's. LOL. What a waste of oxygen !!!!!

Interesting to read Firbeck's post. My grandfather was Sheriff 159 and Lord Mayor 1961. Most Saturday mornings when he was in office we would pop up to either the Lord Mayor's parlour or the Sheriff's parlour for a cuppa. I remember attending both ceremonies which my grandfather was involved (Mayor-making and Sheriff-making). We toured the place looking at the kitchen, ball-room and council chamber once or twice. Of course, as I was quite young at that time, a lot of it went over my head. I have been around the place since.

• Upvote 2

#21, sorry, I thought you meant #24. Robin Hood must be turning in his grave.

My dad nearly passed out when we had the first ethnic sheriff !!!!!

Or ethnic Mayor, I can't remember witch.

• Upvote 1

My ex wife and I got an invite in about 1991 to see our youngest son receive a years free pass to Beechdale Baths for his achievements in swimming at Glaisdale School.

I was quite impressed by the decor and the building in general.

• Upvote 1

Off post I know but Thank You Firbeck for giving Bborns grandfathers name as I'd completely forgotten it but remembered he was a great enthusiast for the international language "Esperanto", d----d memory!

Back to the post a group of us go several time each year to what used to be "The Lord Mayors Tea Dance" in the Council House ballroom in aid of his named charity, now they are still well supported but for different worthy causes.