St ann's well area - pre demolition

Fantastic site Mick, thanks so much for finding this and posting for us. There are so many shops which I had completely forgotten about and which have awakened so many memories for me.

Thanks again mate! To give you a "like" for this is such an understatement, how about a "just love it" ?!!

Very good site. I have seen it before awhile ago but there seems to be a bit more on it now. Thought I might find the elusive picture of Ford Street St. Mary - but no :(

mick2me #1 hi mick i think, maybe wrong, in the pics you got a lace factory on plantaganet st. i think it was Corbett & Davies, (Small & Tidmas), my mom worked there till the big fire it had, think i am right

bowdownThanks for that link, Mick.....Have been on there for the last hour and only scratched the surface.

The numerous threads and links that you can follow is amazing - It is just not the St Ann's Well Road forum...Ta, Mick.

Great link. Just had a quick look .

Was looking for any mention of wife's grandad , who had a chip shop somewhere on St. Anns Well Rd .

Didn't find him but did spot her dad listed , running a greengrocery shop there in 1956 , which I had never heard about before .

I'm on the FB site, but not seen that actual site Mick, thanks.

My mums family grew up on Corporation road, and have found my grans name listed, also another family member further down the road ! amazing.

Had many happy memories as a child walking to St Annes Well road and around the area. Some good pics too. and the roads with family names are great.

What was so wrong with that area that the High Ups thought it needed changing?second that. How we need to beware of the buggers who say they know better!

Second that.

It was great looking at names and addresses found names of people and businesses l had forgotten or could'nt remember. More potential for future topic's.

Apologies as I have no doubt this has been mentioned here before . This appeared on Nott'm linked Facebook page . Lots of shots of pubs on St Anns Well Road in the 60s plus Vic Station being demolished etc and the construction of the Vic Centre. Bit of a hotch-potch of subjects and also seems to be a small bit of really old film , much earlier than demolition times too .

Worth a geek

• Upvote 6

DavidW #17, just watching your movie clip, see the pillars being built for vic centre car park, my father was a shuttering joiner on that site, remember calling to him whilst he was working there that my son, his first grandson had just been born, can see him now walking back to his work punching the air, thank you for the view

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...

Can't remember exactly,maybe opposite Oliver Cromwell? about '71-'72 on a steep hill was a hippy adventure playground. A huge slide made from corrugated iron- you sat in a truck wheel arch and pelted down!! H&S,hello!! They cooked beans on an open fire.All this on red clay and mud,anyone else recall this place?

• 2 years later...

Hi - I'm one of the admins for the St Ann's Well Road Pre Demolition (1970) facebook group.  Over time I have been building extensive website which  https://stannswellroad.weebly.com/ 

which:

Aims to capture the 'essence' of the facebook group St Ann's Well Road Pre Demolition (1970) Online Community Nottingham

- Preserves our collective memories
- Provides a 'gateway'  to the facebook group for new members
- Provides a more permanent archive of images/discussions
- Provides easy access to topics from the group via the index and 'search' facility

https://stannswellroad.weebly.com/ 

One of our most popular pages is  the 'virtual walk' along St Anns Well Rd circa 1956 https://stannswellroad.weebly.com/virtual-walk.html

Cheers

Mavis

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

Wonder whatever happened to residence of st anns well area residents after demolition, 

I lived on leicester street next street along would have been beverley street , we moved to Bilborough,  then Bulwell hall .

• Cliff Ton changed the title to St ann's well area - pre demolition