• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me state quite clearly that I do not believe in ghosts... but   I met my wife to be in the early '60s, she lived at that time in Bulcote in what was once a coaching inn built late 16 ear

Do you like my ghost bird?   Took a photo of it this morning...

A spiritualist meeting is held monthly In a local community hall down here and I've been to a few. It's worth a visit to see the reaction of people. There are those who have recently lost a friend or

Carni

This story is about the orchard. I mentioned in the previous post.

One night my auntie who lived next door but one with my granny,was round at our house as she often was.I went out to the outside toilet,on my way back I heard a lot of rustling and a noises like branches being trampled,I told my auntie and she came outside with me and she screamed and ran back in.what we had seen was a massive black bull with a ring in its nose.My dad went out,nothing there.Many years later the orchard was being cleared and all the trees taken out to make way for the Carlton central school our house was still there at the time.While they were digging they found....loads of bull rings.My aunt asked if she could have one,the workmen looked at her gone out.

There were never any bulls kept in the orchard while we all lived in those houses so it must have been a ghost bull.

Got to charge my iPad up now,it will be back with more if you would like that.

• Upvote 3

Some years ago we had our holiday in Gibraltar. The army has the only access to most of the Rock's internal passages and on Sundays you can pay two pounds for a look inside, as we did. The guide told us of when he was in there on his own and as he was walking he heard footsteps of someone walking behind him. I think there there was a story of someone being killed in there, and his body never being found. Our guide said he ran like hell back to the entrance. He told no-one of what had happened. Later in the day he was having a drink and a woman sitting nearby came over to him and said (along the lines of) 'I believe you had an experience inside the Rock today'. How did she know that?

• Upvote 1

Chulla #78

That is very interesting Chulla maybe she was a ghost as well? 

Now for my next story.

Still at the old house.Sometimes at night I would feel someone get into bed ,always behind me,he would put his very thin arms round me very tightly,I often tried to look to see who it was,but he held on in such a way that I couldnt turn.He felt quite cold but not freezing.

On telling my sister she said he visited her too.We told mam,and she admitted he had been getting in her bed for ages,she even named him Jobi,we all thought it was a boy for some reason.

I wondered if it could have been the boy I saw years earlier and he had grown.

Do ghosts grow up?  I've no idea.

We were never scared of Jobi  just annoyed if he had woken us.

It was November 5th 1966. Working at Clifton Colliery as a fitter. We had the job of renewing the brake linings on the No 1 Winding Engine [coaling shaft]. This job had to be done over the night at a weekend for safety reasons. Everything was going to plan until the chap who had gone for chips around 10/30 returned quickly to say that a van full of people had come through the pit gates on its side. That 5th of Nov.it was raining cats and dogs, and the van had aquaplaned on the road, clipped the gate posts and rolled into the pit yard. All on board were not too badly  injured but it happened to be a church group of West Indians and the ladies were all praising the lord [loudly] that no one was to badly hurt! With the fire engine that came we rerighted the van and the fire crew hosed down the spilt petrol [in the heavy rain]. One of the firemen was a lad i had been to school with   --- coincidence. We left the firemen to deal with the incident as we had to get the winding engine fixed. Later on in the winding house one of our crew {Johnny Tew] had the ladder slip away from him and he came down on his backside very badly. He actually broke his pelvis. The ambulance was called and I and the foreman [Vic Self] followed it to the hospital to comfort Johnny. Whilst waiting in A &E another car accident came in an Indian guy and his very pregnant wife. I remember Vic saying to me that he thought she would be lucky to keep the baby. Any road up , we could be of no more help to Johnny and we returned to the pit. Vic dropped me off while he parked his car.

Ghostly bit --

I entered the engine house but it was empty of men and i assumed they had gone back to the fitting shop for a tea break. All was quiet in the engine house, but then I noticed a light moving about under the engine,____no noise at all --- but a light moving as if searching for something. "Who's there Who's there" I found myself saying even though I thought my heart had stopped beating. Still no reply or noise. Inching closer to the engine pit --- I found a cap lamp swinging on its cable under the engine.

A year later my wife changed jobs a went to work at Ashworth Clarkes at Colwick  and her new boss was the Indian guy I had seen a year before in A& E and his wife did loose her child ----- coincidence again

Ray

I think Clifton Colliery must have a jinx on it. My granddad worked there many years ago, his claim to fame was that he had an heart attack on the Guild Hall Steps and did not recover. Now I hear that it is going to be a hotel, I bet their are a few ghost inside the Guild Hall that no body has seen yet.

carni, crankypig. Did you read my ghost story poem, The Encounter, in the Poetry thread, page 5, posting #120?

• Upvote 1

A few years ago my elder brother told me of one occasion when he and one of his mates were walking back home from the Broad Oak pub when a man dressed to the nines including top hat and cape walked between them and bid them "Good evening gentlemen". They both ran off home and when they met up again next day at the pit asked each other if they had both seen the same thing. 

Hiya crankypig, the poem is called 'The Encounter' and it is in Poetry. Go on to Forums and scroll right down to 'General Hobbies and Interest Chat' it is the 5th item down titled Poetry by De Da Pete. Good luck.

Another great poem Chulla, don't say you will stop, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying how much I enjoy your poems. I might just have a go at writing one myself.:rolleyes:

Another ghost story

Still at the old house as mentioned in my other posts.

As a kid I used to see a big black dog waddling around the house,it was sort of like a Labrador but shorter in height and chubby.If I was going through a doorway and the dog was there I would move to one side to let it pass.One day I asked Mam where the dog was,she looked at me as if I was crackers,we havnt got a dog she said.Never saw the dog again after that.The strange thing about the dog was that it never looked up,it was always looking at the ground ,and it never barked or went outside.

crankypig all the joys of having a dog with out having to take it out for a walk.

• Upvote 1

Next story

My daughter and I went to motorpoint arena to see Bryan Ferry.

Sitting facing us we both saw a man dressed in very old fashioned clothes,he had on what I think is called a tricorn hat.No one else sat on a few seats either side of him.We somehow felt compelled to look at him,he didn't appear to be watching the show and sat very still.Anyway when we did take our eyes off him to watch Bryan ,we looked for the man again later on and he had gone and didn't come back.

I think there used to be a burial ground under the arena,maybe he wondered what the racket was and came up to have a look?

• Upvote 1

I love foxes, Only ever seen dog foxes on my land here in rural Brittany. No females. I always greet them and talk softly, Over the years the young dogs get more confident and don't take flight unless surprised. Never get too close, but often just sit or stand looking at me in an unconcerned sort of way. They know me far better than I know them. No threat, just common respect. Found me latest 'Charlie Fox' mate dead in front of the house yesterday. Only yards from the spot I found his forbear 5 years ago - probably his dad. Not a ghost story but sometimes odd things happen. 

Hope his son turns up soon.

• Upvote 3

Your story reminded me of my mums Freddie fox, she talked to him and he used to put his head to one side to listen. I posted a pic of him somewhere a while ago. 

• Upvote 2

When I was knee high to a grass hopper, I was walking with my brother bottom of Carlton Road? near the park, the wind was howling though the railings and making a very weird screeching sound, "what that noise I ask" Oh!!  it's just the ghost he's coming to take you away. Never have I walked past those railings again.

Brothers can be cruel sometimes.

I once read a book long ago called "The Lighthouse". It was about a woman who was blessed or cursed with the ability to attract the spirits or ghosts of people who had suddenly or unexpetantly died. Once she woke up a night and found five firemen around her bed, but thinking it a dream went back to sleep. In the morning she heared on the news of five firemen dying at a blaze in Scotland. As she became accustomed to it happening she thought that she was some sort of beacon that attracted them.The worst times came during the war, but the visitations were often brief. However she once had an Italian soldiers spirit with her for a week !

Ray

Working at a care home in early 90 s .( I worked there for almost 3 years) .

working with other care assistants getting people ready for bed ,(working afternoon evening shift) . I thought someone had just nipped out of their bedroom.i saw a fuschia pink jumper can t remember seeing anything else like skirt they were wearing or trousers.(but jumper was at right height if stood upright.) but no one had come out of their room.there was no one else around.

and weird part is someone who lived at the care home did like pink in jumpers.... but didn't live on the floor I d seen the fushia pink jumper.... 

weird part ...part 2 ...person who liked pink in jumpers...  passed away a few weeks later ...

In the mid eighties there was a report of the sighting of a ghost near what was then The Blue Boar. The occupants of three cars all claimed to have seen the figure of a woman in old style clothing cross the road between them. The people did not know each other and none of them had been drinking but all gave the same description of the figure. Legend has it that the ghost of Jenny Burton walks the road in this area , having been a farm resident close by in years gone by. Having read the report of the sighting the previous evening I was driving past the scene the next afternoon when there was a rustling sound from the dashboard. Needless to say my heart was in my mouth and clean underwear was needed but I was more than relieved to discover the sound was created by leaves in the air vent and not an unexpected passenger. I can smile now but I don't think I have ever been so frightened as I was that afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

For those from Nottingham who are interested here is a database of paranormal activities in the shire.

For those further away you can search for your area. Some of the reports corroborate comments on this thread?

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/nottinghamshire/nottdata.php?pageNum_paradata=0&totalRows_paradata=248

I came across it whilst looking for the car accident in Calverton, apparently there have been several reports of paranormal activity on Georges Lane Calverton.

Probably over active imaginations or the effects of too much Hobgoblin, Shippos or something similar.