• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bet you won't get anyone like my wife ! She took a parcel from a delivery driver and when he handed her the PDA to sign she asked where to do it.   He actually said "Oh just below" , pointin

From conversations I have involuntarily overheard, they are not worth listening to. Indeed they are not worth the participants wasting breath on. How can people spend half their day talking inconseque

Seems like "accidents" is even the wrong word for such events, John. An accident is usually something unforseen or a mechanical failure. These texting events are just crass stupidity and could also take the life of an innocent driver coming the other way. Probably already have. Had one behind me one time in Montana. Saw him weaving around behind me looking down at his phone. I would have pulled over and let him pass but the road was too narrow, no shoulder. Eventually the road forked and he went the other way. Not sure if he intended to but I sure breathed a sigh of relief.

Depends on the state catfan.

• Upvote 1

NY has a ban on using a cell phone while driving, we don't get points, we get them deducted like Australia.

Missouri and Arkansas allow use of a cell phone but forbid texting.

Each state has it's own laws much like France the UK and other European nations.

• Upvote 1

I take that back, we gain points, shows how many times I've been prosecuted for driving infractions....LOL

In Australia we started out with seven points, once down to zero, you lose your license for a year, or did do when I lived over there.

Having never been booked for any infractions I'd forgotten the system here. I rarely if ever exceed the speed limits, can't see the point in throwing money at the local authorities, let them tax their inhabitants out of existance is my motto.

In 1999 I drove up from California to Montana, back then the speed limit had been abandoned in Montana on all major highways and freeways, seemed odd driving past a couple of Hwy patrol cars ar 80mph! There only speed rule back then, was from dusk until dawn, max speed 65mph, and everyone must drive according to road conditions, so if it's raining, you slowed down or get booked.

• Upvote 2

Silly gits don't even take their eyes off them while crossing the road. I nearly hit one the other day.

• Upvote 1

I had a phone call on the land line today from a work colleague who asked me if I had read the text he sent me 4 days ago, asking me to do something. I said no an explained that my mobile phone battery went flat and as it was the holiday I did not charge it up. Calm, polite, assertive and safeguarding a bit of "me time". The phone is a useful tool to be used when appropriate. We need to take charge of it and of our well being.

• Upvote 1

I saw someone a few weeks ago that was pushing a young child in a pushchair with one hand and in the other hand she was holding a mobile looking down at it - presumably playing a game, She was obviously not looking where she was going and could quite easily have had an accident.

I've seen photos of accidents where it was proved by logs that the drivers were texting or taking selfies behind the wheel. One was a beaut, driver ran right up the rear of a semi trailer broken down on the hard shoulder of a freeway. The car moved both rear axles of the trailer almost half way along the trailer. They found the drivers head in the rear seat of his wrecked car.

Another one was a young Mother taking selfies, crossed the median strip, got hit by an oncoming truck, flipped and rolled down a bank, throwing her and the kids out the car...All dead. Cops found the cell phone, she was taking selfies and posting them on Facebook!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

This afternoon I had a text message supposedly from my son. It said

"I've sent you an Orange Photo/Video Message. Go to http://orange.mms.ee.co.uk/orange/. Your message is valid for 7 days"

Then another one saying

"A Photo/video Message was sent to you but couldn't be delivered. A notification on how to view this message will follow shortly. Your password is >9t+myS/"

Well I clicked the link, I had to put in my mobile phone number then typed in the password. Nothing happened, it told me it couldn't open the message. Took a photo of the text message and sent it to my son to find out what it was all about. He said it wasn't sent by him. I'm a bit worried now, should I be?

Hopefully not Lizzie, but maybe you should have contacted your son first. 'They' now know that your number is 'in service ' and can track where you are. I hope they don't know your address and that you are miles away on holiday.

An even better one,herself has been advised to wrap her credit card in tin foil or keep it in cigarette type case...the bank informed her that in Limerick and other cities...gobshites are scanning card numbers thru handbags!!

This sounds similar . Basically someone sent what should have been an sms message as an mms message (I think)

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Has-Something-Been-Hacked/td-p/17727805

Yes, that's just what the law want to see isn't it Ian, something wrapped in foil in her handbag. They'd have her facing the wall with her arms in the air within seconds. LOL . There's no camera on earth that'd penetrate the crap my missus handbag.

Her phone rings and it's a five minute job finding it. Ask to borrow her glasses to read a small menu or suchlike and it's ten minutes. By that time I've either lost my appetite, or am smashing my head on the table in frustration!

• Upvote 2

Well I THINK I've just turned my location off on my phone. Thanks for the suggestion Ian.

I will try to read that link you've put on David, but I'll need to type it all out.

New credit cards have RF chips now Ian, they can be read while in your wallet from an inexpensive reader in the hands of a criminal!! You can purchase a metalised holder to prevent credit card fraud, but wrapping in aluminium foil will make a cheap RF proof counter measure. Our two cards have inbuilt RF chips on them.

This year we changed land- line providers,between the twoing and froing we received a call from " Eircom" asking for bank/direct debit info,it was bogus- so an office waller from the departing or joining company had informed a bent third party! IE: a crook!!

Well having read the item that DavidW has found I'm not going to worry about it.

Saw on Facebook today ........ "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere"

• Upvote 3

#88 Lizzie, I had the same thing two days ago, giving me a password as well. I didn't like the look of it so my son has just deleted it for me. I don't care what it was! If they want me they will contact me again. Never had one before!

EDIT I just read the link as well Lizzie. We got rid of the message on my phone, but it was interesting to see that I wasn't the only one who got one.