there is, yet another cranky ,barmy idea coming out of that swamp of the finest intellect that man has to offer, some mindless moron has deemed it a possibility that we will have to,, .... no , we will be made to insure our motorised push lawn grass cutters, ride on mowers, golf buggies, mobility scooters, etc. even if they do not go on the road ,well, I have two ride on,s and 3 push lawn mowers , if those tw--s think I am going to waste my money on pointless insurance they have another think coming, ,the only outfits that are going to benefit are the insurance companies where do they get these idiotic ideas from. needless to say our government will roll over and accept their cranky ideas and won,t take them to task. Jesus what have we done to deserve these cranky laws!!

• Upvote 5

I think the insurance would be against third party risks.

Generally, such cover already exists for equipment on whilst on your property via the Public Liability section but this would not cover you away from your property.

It's not such an horrendous idea.

Robbie it all stems from a European court of justice case ( there,s a contradiction in terms what a laugh) a tractor and trailer was involved in an accident in slovenia a man was hurt on private land the insurance company would not pay out because of this so out comes the cranky diktats and they come up with this pearling idea, I bet the tw--s are dead proud of thier selves.

it seems if there ani,t a law mek one keep,, the buggers under control

What one does on ones own property should be sod-all to do with bureaucrats, if it doesn't impact on others. Normal household insurance covers for personal and third-party liability I've always understood.

My personal belief though, is that any road-user ( not pavements ) should be insured and definitely cyclists!

• Upvote 2

I nearly got hit by a female (she was no lady) in the City Centre as she drove along the pavement. She'd come up behind me and as she passed she ranted on about me being in her space. I didn't even know she was behind me. She really was vile. After reading catfan's post I wondered what action you could take if a mobility scooter hits you and causes injury.

• Upvote 1

Talking about mowers, currently looking after a friends place on 5 acres and around the house he must have a couple of acres under grass.

He's got one of these big commercial ride on things, not a tractor type but all hydraulic driven and can turn on a sixpence ! Drives like a bobcat skid steer with two levers, no steering wheel, and two cutters totalling a six foot cut in the old money. And it goes "Fast"

Anyway I was cutting merrilly on my way when at the top of a sloping bank I inadvertently pushed one lever instead of pulling ! I spun round and in doing so slipped off the top edge down the other side of the bank, which is fairly steep, as I was falling I remember vividly thinking oh dear will my insurance cover me !

I had visions of it turning turtle with me underneath and two spinning blades keeping the rescuers away , anyway I came to a halt at the bottom of the bank with a few extra heart beats and almost brown underwear.

Scary stuff.

Sorry OT but back to insurance, for mowers, maybe not such a bad thing for the larger machines maybe. Not so much for the little back yard pushers though.

Ban those bloody mobility scooters I say, whoever thought up the idea of them wants horse whipping

Probably open up a tin of worms but so what, been a similar thread to this about them scooters in the past somewhere on here

Rog

Mrs Catfan's parents live at Bilsthorpe, one of their neighbours was stopped by the police recently. He was driving his mobility scooter from Bilsthorpe to Ollerton on the main A614 ! He was causing traffic chaos.!

A while back some bloke was prosecuted in Gt Yarmouth when he drove his mobility scooter into someone and broke their ankle. The thing that annoys me about their drivers is that they think they have right of way of all traffic, road and pedestrian, and I suspect a good proportion of them don't need the things anyway.

catfan #21, just read your ladies parents live in Bilsthorpe, my mother came from there, i do not know the place very well but dad told me a bit about the place, mum came from a place called The Bungalows, this was in the 1920s, wonder if they know any of the history of the place, do not bother them about it too much, wonder if they have knowledge of Bilsthorpe pit, moms dad worked there, think he was killed in a pitfall. dont wish to be a pest, but would be grateful, mum never spoke of her time as a child there. all the best.

Like most pubs there is the 'poseurs' parking spot being the most visible outside the pub door.

I've thought of going to the pub on my mower one day and parking it there just to cock a snoop at the owners of their £80K+ pratmobiles :tease: .

However, the mower is bright red, 4wd twin Kawazaki, with chrome exhaust pipes, cigar lighter and powerful lights. Will I become a pratridonmowermobile owning poseur?

Will check insurance first though.