Leonard Nimoy R.I.P.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not really too interested in films, to be honest. I read all sorts of stuff, though - prefer fairly modern literature. Can't stand historical or romantic novels. Like biographies and autobiographie

Thankfully you can watch him every day still on CBS Action in remastered episodes of Star Trek, good old Spock, saved the day nearly every time, if he hadn't been around the Enterprise would have been

This really needs another topic doesn't it but there's probably something already on the site, so I won't bother! Ann, it depends on what comes to hand as to what I read. Apart from mostly classic

This really needs another topic doesn't it but there's probably something already on the site, so I won't bother!

Ann, it depends on what comes to hand as to what I read. Apart from mostly classic SF - Arthur C Clarke, Brian Aldiss etc, I also like autobiographies, occasional historical romantic novels (sorry!) Dickens and other classics. As you can see, I often re-read my favourites but I seem to be so busy these days that at the moment I'm finding it hard to find time to read anything much. Just acquired The Thorn Birds on this IPad/Kindle as I remember seeing it on TV in the early eighties and it was on offer from Amazon!! I like Tolkien, too and often re-read L of the R. I read a lot of contemporary theology by various authors as well - the list is endless........

• Upvote 2

Like annswabey, I've never been a film goer. The last film I went to see was years ago when I took all my kids and foster kids to see Star Wars. As a matter of interest, did you know that the Star Wars franchise has earned $27billion since 1977. Only $4.3 billion of that has come from box office takings. $12billion has come from toys.

Was she the 50 foot woman? Sounds weird, probably not a film I would ever have gone to see. Don't go to the pictures much these days although went to see Shaun the Sheep last week with the littlies. It was surprisingly good with subtle touches of comedy which would probably have been missed by kids. What an exciting life I lead!

Someone ought to get back to Spock, don't you think.... or start something else?

Sci Fi not just a man thing, my little lady loves it. I think she just loves the buzz. I remember my mum used to watch Quatermass from behind the settee. But weren't the special effects corny by todays standards. Watching some that old stuff like War of the Worlds borders on comedy.

I love stuff like Star Wars but I do like a good ghost story.

• Upvote 1

I REMEMBER Quatermass' bilbraborn, don't know about it being a 'man thing' tho,......cos my Dad hid behind the settee with me, lol.

There used to be something on Saturday evenings called Pathfinders on Mars then Pathfinders on Venus. As a very small boy they used to scare me.

You may be right Mr Imp. I'll give the DVDs a miss. I prefer my old Star Wars digitally remastered stuff. I guess I just live a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

• 6 years later...

I must have missed this topic when it was originally doing the rounds.

Mr Spock was my idol in the late 60s/early 70s. I have all episodes of the original series and I still watch them. The later offerings had no appeal.

Spock was...and probably still is...my ideal chap. Problem is...he doesn't exist! Ho Hum!

He was the enduring voice of reason on The Enterprise. Kirk's brains, assuming he had any, were indisputably located in his trousers, Scotty was often drunk, Dr McCoy was, I think, a cardboard cutout along with Nurse Chappel (acting ability nul points), Chekov seemed more concerned about his weird hairstyle and Mr Sulu gave me the impression he'd much rather have been elsewhere. Surely, the whole crew would have been right up ship creek were it not for Spock.

I named my cat after him. Sadly, my Spocky who also had pointed ears, left us at the age of seven but, like his Vulcan namesake, will never be forgotten.

Bit late, this tribute to the most logical being in the galaxy, but none the less heartfelt for that. Spock and I have one thing in common: we ain't too fond of humans...but Mr Spock was known to like cats!

Prior to Mr Spock, my 9 year old self was a bit infatuated with Ilya Kuryakin. Apart from the blond hair, again, very Spock like. Much preferable to the nauseating Napoleon Solo.  He doesn't exist either. :wacko:

Sadly, life does not imitate art...very often.

I was never concerned with someone’s intellectual prowess,  because a good person is so much more than that.  

When love takes hold of you, you just have to go with the flow.
Nowadays, all the people I admire are kind and caring ….. some are, and some aren’t, particularly clever - it really doesn’t matter to me!