Arkwright Street Regeneration

The ineptitude of Notts council in the way that they've dealt with Arkwright Street has disappointed so many people - and it's raised concerns about how they intend to deal with other areas of the city that have gone into terminal decline; particularly Alfreton Road.

In another thread here we've talked about how this was a thriving street with lots of shops AND local industry, but they've just done exactly the same thing in allowing it to decay so far that the only course of action now is to pull it all down.

See this article:

https://cbjnewsreports.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/residents-call-for-the-regeneration-of-alfreton-road/

Now if they had a plan, or even bothered to canvas people that live nearby, it might be a different matter. But I'm sure that they'll just level it and leave it vacant as they've done with Arkwright Street.

• Upvote 2

the same high handedness that foisted the outdated expensive unwanted crazy jane tram on us

• Upvote 2

And horror of horrors, the WPL.

As an aside to this, I was talking to my daughter last week, she is employed by NCC, she has to use her car to do her job, visiting parents etc. The cheeky Barstewards want to charge her the WPL.

She has said if necessary she will travel around on the bus & take 3 times longer to do her work !

• Upvote 2

i always thought that with Arkwright Street and London Road running almost side by side, it would have been ideal for Arkwright street to be one-way say from the station to Trent Bridge, and London Road being one-way from Trent Bridge to Canal Street.

i always thought that with Arkwright Street and London Road running almost side by side, it would have been ideal for Arkwright street to be one-way say from the station to Trent Bridge, and London Road being one-way from Trent Bridge to Canal Street.

Don't be stupid...that's too obvious.

• Upvote 1

#30 Bing

Might not have been quite that easy, actually. Remember they weren't parallel but formed a triangle, very close together at Trent Bridge end and about half a mile apart at the Canal St end. If you were wanting to access side-streets off Arky or London Rd, coming from the wrong direction, you might have quite a detour.

Just discovered this in the new additions to PTP.

Top end of Arkwright Street with the Queen's Hotel the large building on the right. The "Boots" building on the left is what became the Bank. The curved building to the right of the Boots place is the juncction of Summers Street.

ark_2.jpg

Does anyone remember the name of a racing cycle frame builder on Arkwright St? It would be in the 50's. His shop never seemed very well stocked, so the business must have relied on building new frames?

#39 Thanks TBI Andy Bone - that's him. Been trying to remember that one for years. Yes, the Paragon was very classy. I did remember the Paramount frame but I think that was made by Arthur Hunt out Kimberly way?

Our shop survived with 5am to 9 pm 7 days a week every day of the year,only closed 1day christmas day.that was just opening times, still

books to do,unfortunately working hard and long hours takes it toll on your health,still dont know how these different shops open 10am and close 5pm mon to friday,they always close after a few weeks ,hard work

is the only way nowadays to make it in your own business and even then theres no gaurentees

Paragon frames were definitely made at Andy Bone's. Super lightweight with a huge Italian market. There was a bike shop called Olympic (or Olympia) Bicycles near Valley Road with links to Andy Bone but I think that has gone now.

• 1 month later...

Have the photos in this Facebook album been mentioned before of Arkwright St ?

88 photos in an album by someone called "My Research Room" but guess you have to be on Facebook to view.?

https://www.facebook.com/203277969713653/photos/a.517373391637441.1073741882.203277969713653/518002014907912/?type=1&theater

• Upvote 5