Who was at Radford Bugole in the 50's

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Carni, it certainly wasn't my intention of spinning a sob story or look for pity. I just felt that I was sharing an experience of earlier days and how we coped. It was a privilege to have th

So sorry to read about the loss of your boys - losing a child must be the worst thing ever - and to lose two children .... I have no words.    Your boys must have been born in the same years as our el

It is the kindness of people such as yourselves that have helped us through the years. It makes you realise it's not bad world after all. Fly2, I see from your description that you have an intere

• 4 years later...
On 6/12/2014 at 12:46 AM, jimmylad said:

Denman Street was a great place to spend your childhood all the shop keepers where friendly, i still remember most of the shops Bob Taylors,Clays,Meadow dairy,Scrimshaws, Frank walkers funeral, directors Bill Haywood, holmes cobblers, Mrs Seston Fish and Chip shop,Duks Ironmongers,

Foster grengrocers, Harry Gents Hairdresser, Lambs Electrical, Hershal sweetshop, Mrs Tansley greengrocer, Cockains fish and chip shop and Reeks cafe.

My aunt Mary baked all the pies and cakes for frans pork shop and I used to go out with Fran to deliver orders to customer in The Park and Wollaton Park.

What a shame we had to grow up

I lived off denman street on Denton street until 1957. Went boulevard school and was in the same close as Barry more, joey nelson etc. Left school Christmas 1958. I don't remember any shops by the name of King, ( which is my surname). Would love to hear from anyone of that era.

Hello Jill Sparrow, nice to hear from you. Not quite sure what I'm supposed to do or how to find my way onto Nottstalgia. Left Nottingham in 1987 and moved to East Sussex. Went to boulevard school, which was only a short walk from Denton street. Will come with more info once I've figured out what I'm doing! B.

• Like 1

Take your time and have a good look around, Beekay. Loads of topics and moderators Cliff Ton and Katyjay are always on hand to help with any guidance you might need.  We're all looking forward to sharing your memories. A number of members on here knew Radford very well.

22 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

As far as I can see, no-one has ever explained the meaning of Radford Bughole........ what - or where - was it ?

It's an affectionate name for Radford boulevard secondary school. I was there 1954- 1958. B.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I know its a bit late in the day but, is there anyone on here who went to 'bugole in 1958? I was fortunate enough to be in A stream throughout school, finishing up in 4a, (Mr Edwards class). I remember some names eg. Barry Moore, Barry (spud) hallett, Kenny trout, Bruce baker, Clive perry (he was a clever lad!), to name but a few. Although it's 60years ago I remember the layout of the boys school as though it was last week. Sometimes instead of buying a dinner ticket we used to go across Ilkeston road to la Roache's to buy a small loaf and stuff it with a bag of chips, then nip in the toilet to smoke our dog ends. Does anyone remember catching the 39 to Orston drive and then walking to the playing fields? ( I remember later as a bus conductor picking similar groups of kids). We also walked up to Radford baths for swimming, " line up boys, let's have a look at your feet !!" I often wonder what became of classmates. I know there used to be reunions occasionally with Radford Old Scholars Asscn. (Scholars !! there a word to conjour with). Is it still active?? Regards, one and all, Beekay.

• Like 1

It seems, Beekay, that there are few of your contemporaries from school years visiting this site. Same here. There is the occasional old girl who suffered at The Manning with me but they don't hang around for long. I think it's only possible when they're let out for the day while the minders whitewash their cell at the funny farm. Most are probably dressed in strait jackets and dosed with Moggiedon to control the recurring nightmares of the Gregory Boulevard Torture Chamber.

I'm only as sane as I am because I was brought up by parents who instilled in me a sense of humour without which I'd be queuing up for my electric shock treatment round about now.

School days, eh? Weren't they fun?  :blink:

• Like 2

I think most of us find that not many of our old schoolmates are on here.  I often wonder what happened to the crowd from Chandos Academy who are around my age.  I hope most of 'em are still alive but  who knows?

Hi Jill, don't know your age but my sister in law went to manning, as did my cousin. Coincidentally they are both called Yvonne. My sister in law is now 63 and I think my cousin was in year above her so she must be about 64,(she lives in Canada). Don't know if this was around your time but the chance of knowing either of them must be pretty slim. Cheers, Beekay.

Can't say I ever see any of my old school friends only my best friend who is on nottdtalgia and I think you all know who that is. LL when were you at Chandos my 5 older Brothers went there.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Hi Jill, don't know your age but my sister in law went to manning, as did my cousin. Coincidentally they are both called Yvonne. My sister in law is now 63 and I think my cousin was in year above her so she must be about 64,(she lives in Canada). Don't know if this was around your time but the chance of knowing either of them must be pretty slim. Cheers, Beekay.

My birth certificate says I'm 61 in 15 days.  I think it's a forgery but your cousin and sister in law were probably in the torture chamber when I was there although in a different year.  Have they turned out quite normal?

2 hours ago, sue B 48 said:

Can't say I ever see any of my old school friends only my best friend who is on nottdtalgia and I think you all know who that is. LL when were you at Chandos my 5 older Brothers went there.

I was there from 56 to late 59, Sue.  I left as soon as I turned 15.  Couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I don't know who said, "School days  are the happiest days of your life."  Not true for all of us.

• Like 1

Its my birthday next week Jill. I'll light a candle in your honour ! My sister in law is not a bad old stick, despite manning school doing their best to lobotomise her. She works at queens med. as a haematology consultant (clever eh!). Always said I married the wrong one. As for my cousin Yvonne, well you have to be barmy where she lives in Alberta. Going up to Thoresby hall Dec.7th to meet up with the outlaws. B.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

I was there from 56 to late 59, Sue.  I left as soon as I turned 15.  Couldn't get out of there fast enough.  I don't know who said, "School days  are the happiest days of your life."  Not true for all of us.

All my Brothers were older than you then LL, I was the baby. With what they 

have told me about their school days I think they felt the same.

I won't go on about it, SueB.  I suppose in their defense they were trying to turn us into moral responsible members of society.  That said, I don't think constant sarcastic put downs and fear of corporal punishment are the way to do it.  We don't train our dogs like that.  There were some decent teachers there, but too many of the yell at 'em, and cane 'em type.

Hi again Jill, if it's any help ,my cousins name was Yvonne king, (my dad's brother's daughter). My sister in law was Yvonne perry, (she lived on bradfield rd. till she married. She is 12 years younger than my wife Tina. B.

1 minute ago, Jill Sparrow said:

When I arrived at Manning in 1969, they would have been there, Beekay. 

1969 !! I'D BEEN MARRIED FOUR YEARS BY THEN, with two sons. Alas we lost our youngest at Christmas 1978 and lost our eldest in 1990. They were 9 and 23 respectively.

51 minutes ago, Beekay said:

1969 !! I'D BEEN MARRIED FOUR YEARS BY THEN, with two sons. Alas we lost our youngest at Christmas 1978 and lost our eldest in 1990. They were 9 and 23 respectively.

So sorry to read about the loss of your boys - losing a child must be the worst thing ever - and to lose two children .... I have no words.    Your boys must have been born in the same years as our eldest children who are now 49 and 51.   Thank you for sharing about your family x

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1