Who was at Radford Bugole in the 50's

Thank you Margie and Lizzie for your kind words, they are much appreciated. It seems such a long while ago but there's never a day goes by when we don't think of them. They were both disabled but Tina and I never regretted a minute with them. Not going to be morose or boring but it's nice to be able to talk about them. The only downer is at this time of year we feel it most that we will never be grandparents. I think I'll advertise for a ' adopt a grandad' or something. Once again thanks for caring. B.

• Like 3
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you Carni, it certainly wasn't my intention of spinning a sob story or look for pity. I just felt that I was sharing an experience of earlier days and how we coped. It was a privilege to have th

So sorry to read about the loss of your boys - losing a child must be the worst thing ever - and to lose two children .... I have no words.    Your boys must have been born in the same years as our el

It is the kindness of people such as yourselves that have helped us through the years. It makes you realise it's not bad world after all. Fly2, I see from your description that you have an intere

I too have just read your post Beekay, Along with the others I was sorry to read of the loss of your two boys and the heartache you and Tina have had. You  have all your NS friends now always willing to share your lives experiences  happy and sad.when ever you feel like sharing. I have learnt over the years  they are a good bunch on here when you have the need to talk.  Best wishes and hope you enjoy being part of NS.

• Like 3

Thank you Carni, it certainly wasn't my intention of spinning a sob story or look for pity. I just felt that I was sharing an experience of earlier days and how we coped. It was a privilege to have the boys as long as we did. If we learned anything it was humility. Thank you all for kind words, Barrie and Tina.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My sentiments are as others have mentioned Beekay. Well done for coming through the heartache.

That is very sad, Beekay. Why these things happen is a mystery and it seems so cruel. I'm sure you'd be snapped up as adoptive grandad as you sound very jolly, cheerful and kind. There are many children who, unfortunately, don't have people with those qualities in their lives.

• Like 2

It is the kindness of people such as yourselves that have helped us through the years. It makes you realise it's not bad world after all.

Fly2, I see from your description that you have an interest in steam engines. Me too,and I live only a couple of miles from the Bluebell railway, my missus reckons I'm never happy unless I'm covered in grease and smell of oily smoke. Back on the subject of our sons, one of the saddest drags was handing back Andrew's wheelchair. For ages it was painful looking at the vacant space where it used to stand. Still, we have many wonderful memories. On one occasion when I worked at the water sports centre (holme Pierrpont), I booked my wife and son on a fishing weekend, 3 nights.

When asked where I was going to sleep I told Tina that I wasn't going ! (I was ranger on duty that weekend). IT WAS MY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY PRESENT. I believe they both had a great time !!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yes Beekay, I've visited many preserved steam railways, but I'm afraid never the Bluebell Line. I must give it a visit, when next in the area.

Just now, FLY2 said:

Yes Beekay, I've visited many preserved steam railways, but I'm afraid never the Bluebell Line. I must give it a visit, when next in the area.

I understand you can now get a train from London via East Grinstead straight onto the Bluebell line. B.

• Upvote 1

Regularly visit the GC as its only down the road virtually.

Beekay, when Katyjay reads your post about Holme Pierrepont you may discover you knew her husband at the time, I know he worked there too.  

My husband grew up down your way, in Horley, and used to go and watch the trains on the Bluebell line.  His sister lives in Balcombe which is pretty close too I believe.   

• Upvote 1

One good thing regarding preserved steam railways, is that it gives the younger generations a rare chance to see how things were over fifty years ago. I appreciate that they are a sanitised version of the original, but at least kids can see what can be achieved just with fire, water and a lot of elbow grease.

I was at the Great Central at Rothley some years ago, and an old chap was berating the fact that kids kept getting in the way when he wanted to photograph an engine . One of the volunteer station staff told him that  they were the future, and without them, preserved lines would eventually disappear. Wise words indeed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, philmayfield said:

My friend Bill Brazier drives on the Bluebell Line as well as Great Central. Have you come across him?

Like all folks, when it's on your doorstep you tend not go. A lot of my time is taken up across the road at Sheffield park and garden, where I volunteer. I may have been driven by Bill Brazier but when they're covered in soot and coal dust it's hard to recognise them. Cheers Phil. B.